Current time: 24/04/2024, 20:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Franchising
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising
Excellent news and not before time.
On cross border routes, they existed prior to 1986, I don't think there will be any issue.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/03/2021 19:55)1466 Wrote:  Excellent news and not before time.
On cross border routes, they existed prior to 1986, I don't think there will be any issue.

In fact there were a lot more cross boundary routes before 1986. Only a handful of routes from GM into Cheshire now and most of those carry on to Derbyshire (199, 358)
What a monumental waste of money

SK15 GZG
2010 | 2345 | 2474 | 2590 | 3052 | 3059 | 3061 | 5314 | 6408 | 6606 | 7537
4164 | 4593 | 4664 | 4670 | 4672 | 4678 | 4836
(25/03/2021 21:04)SK15 GZG Wrote:  What a monumental waste of money

Could not agree more.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(25/03/2021 21:07)T42 PVM Wrote:  Could not agree more.

For the past year all privatised bus and train operators across the UK have been kept afloat by the taxpayer to the tune of hundreds of millions. If bus services had been left to free market forces Stagecoach, and every other bus company, would have gone into liquidation by now. It seems to me that privatisation allows shareholders to accept the profits but expect the state to take the risk.

Franchising works in London and many major cities around the world. Why will it not work in Manchester?
The past Year has been totally different to usual and other industries have required bail outs to keep them going, It was the only way to protect Jobs while we went into a Lockdown to stop the Spread of Covid 19.

Quite a number of people seem to point out the Decline in Service in the last Decade and blame the Operators, Should look at Westminster and the amount of cuts they have made into Supported Bus Services since they came to power.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(25/03/2021 22:27)Barney Wrote:  For the past year all privatised bus and train operators across the UK have been kept afloat by the taxpayer to the tune of hundreds of millions. If bus services had been left to free market forces Stagecoach, and every other bus company, would have gone into liquidation by now. It seems to me that privatisation allows shareholders to accept the profits but expect the state to take the risk.

Franchising works in London and many major cities around the world. Why will it not work in Manchester?

So has the metrolink and most other private companies. Very good friend of mine is a self employed HGV fitter, he’s had 2 £10,000 grants off the government in the last 12 months does that they should take control of his business?? What a daft comparison.

Oh wait a minute...... why did they bail out public transport, because they foolishly told everyone to avoid using public transport because they could catch covid something that to date had never been proven.

You also mention London. Again an interesting comparison because TFL is propped up with cash from central government.
From what I've heard and read isn't it going to be a London style franchising system we're going to have? If so surely that's got to be a good thing as it will mean cheaper fares for passengers and a capped limit on what fares can be charged, I've got an Oyster Card for when I visit London and its surprising how far you can get in a day down there.

As for Cross-Boundary travel there's plenty of London Transport services that do it and passengers just tap in and tap out as usual, last time I had a weekend away in London I managed to get from Slough back into London area using an Oyster Card so why can't that be the case up here?

Another interesting thing is that despite Stagecoach and Diamond saying their not interested in Franchising and want a judicial review into the way things have been handled First who exited London because of Franchising haven't said a thing to my knowledge so looks like they might be staying in Manchester and seeing what happens.

While it will mean similar liveried buses operating in Manchester if it means cheaper fares for passengers despite being a holder of an ENCTS card I'm looking forward to franchising happening and will hold any judgement until it actually happens as you never know it might be a good thing in the end.

Its not going to happen overnight and apparently Bolton and Wigan are going to be rolled out first before its rolled out to the rest of Greater Manchester afterwards.

One final question I wonder who's going to build these new buses as if has been said the first phase will be introduced between 2023-2025 then surely orders will have to be put into whoever as soon as possible?
At last this will put an end to the ludicrous rumours that Go are buying Middleton depot off Stagecoach.Stagecoach depot transfer dates are Wigan Jan 23,Middleton jan 24,hyde Rd Sherston,Ashton,Stockport jan 25
(26/03/2021 06:37)M60lad Wrote:  From what I've heard and read isn't it going to be a London style franchising system we're going to have? If so surely that's got to be a good thing as it will mean cheaper fares for passengers and a capped limit on what fares can be charged, I've got an Oyster Card for when I visit London and its surprising how far you can get in a day down there.

As for Cross-Boundary travel there's plenty of London Transport services that do it and passengers just tap in and tap out as usual, last time I had a weekend away in London I managed to get from Slough back into London area using an Oyster Card so why can't that be the case up here?

Another interesting thing is that despite Stagecoach and Diamond saying their not interested in Franchising and want a judicial review into the way things have been handled First who exited London because of Franchising haven't said a thing to my knowledge so looks like they might be staying in Manchester and seeing what happens.

While it will mean similar liveried buses operating in Manchester if it means cheaper fares for passengers despite being a holder of an ENCTS card I'm looking forward to franchising happening and will hold any judgement until it actually happens as you never know it might be a good thing in the end.

Its not going to happen overnight and apparently Bolton and Wigan are going to be rolled out first before its rolled out to the rest of Greater Manchester afterwards.

One final question I wonder who's going to build these new buses as if has been said the first phase will be introduced between 2023-2025 then surely orders will have to be put into whoever as soon as possible?

First have stated they oppose the franchising along with the others and the only ones who support it seem to be ones who dont run buses in manchester , them being abeilio , RATP etc.
It's all good and well saying cheaper fares but in the long run what happens if that's not enough to keep the services propped up , it will mean either price hiking or pay more tax to support it as once its come in theres no going back I think.
Bus partnership would be the better option for long term which would give TFGM a bit more of a say.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)