Current time: 18/04/2024, 08:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go North West
RE: Go North West - FLEETNEWS ONLY - NO STRIKE TALK!
(14/03/2021 01:38)Solo40336 Wrote:  While its good to see QS expand onto some smaller routes. The branding thing is absolutely ridiculous. Three buses being branded for a Mon-Sat daytime route. Reducing the fleets flexibility even more. Each night and Sundays those buses could have been quite nicely used to cover Free Bus services as well as some of the quiet evening services when short of buses.
99% of the passengers using the 415/129 could not care less what colour it is as long as it shows up.
While I'm sure they no doubt have the best intentions, the numerous colour schemes just seem to be something for managment to play with unaware of just how much trouble numerous branded routes cause for the routing end engineering departments.

Hey, I'm the marketing manager at GNW, thought it might be useful for me to wade in here with an explanation of why we've decided to brand these particular buses.

These three Solos have been brought over specifically for the 129 and 415, having deemed the 129 unsuitable for our current fleet, with the added advantage of releasing Enviro200s from the 415. The idea - in theory at least - is that these buses should never stray from their routes around Middleton. These are not buses that we want to appear on other routes, or on Free Bus as you mention.

With that in mind, why wouldn't we brand them with a local identity? We surely want to make public transport as attractive as possible, and to stand out to passing trade. There are schools of thought which say that customers don't care what colour their bus is, as long as it turns up. So should we just paint them all white and have done with it?

Our engineering, commercial and performance teams are fully on board with this strategy. It only works if everybody is on board. Sometimes, for reasons beyond our control, buses do stray from their intended routes. But we have trackers amd monitoring in place - every instance of a bus straying 'off route' is recorded and analysed, with changes made to our internal processes (or even bus boards and duties) accordingly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/03/2021 22:17)joe_alker Wrote:  If I'm remembering correctly, aren't StreetLites ever so slightly taller than the 9'9" that Enviro200s are, and as such can't legally clear the bridge?

From when I drove for Middleton, all of our Enviro200s and Enviro300s were stickered up at 9'9" and would make it through, although it was very rare for an Enviro300 to be sent on the 415 owing to the length and increased width. Therefore the Enviro200s with the roof pod shouldn't be going under the bridge as they'll be taller than 9'9"?

Not sure on the Streetlites I’ll check their height when I’m next in. I always thought it was because of their mirror being out on an arm and having to get so close to the wall as you enter it from greengate side.
Solos getting painted into GNW colours for use for its Middleton's Mini services next month.

https://flickr.com/photos/62607125@N08/51049228093/
(16/03/2021 22:49)Michael Wrote:  When I was at bluebird we used to run dead from chadderton sportsman's under that bridge enviro 300s &I'm sure after stagecoach took the MAN lowliners
Even know you can fit under does not mean it is safe or put it other way was that route giving green light by a risk assessment. As if there was a strike driver would have to answer to taking that route. and the first thing would happen would be you be asked was that route passed for that bus type. Many big bus firms will type and route sign you off for a reason. Some firms dont care how you get to depot but others want you to take set routes. sometimes it down to locals not liking buses using there road or at times it due to buses getting damage.
Solo 5001 now at Queens Road ready for the Middleton's Minis services next month.

https://twitter.com/McKennaBrothers/stat...9543607301
(25/03/2021 17:46)SF07 Wrote:  Solo 5001 now at Queens Road ready for the Middleton's Minis services next month.

https://twitter.com/McKennaBrothers/stat...9543607301

5001-5003 the numbers for these 3 Solos I’m guessing
Go North West promoting the Middleton's Minis services, which will be on services 129 and 415.

[Image: Middletons_Minis_Social_Media_Graphics_T...-smart.png]

https://www.gonorthwest.co.uk/news-servi...ons-minis/
Not sure if its been reported but since I've gone back to work in Manchester I've noticed on my way home that 18:10 135 to Bury is operated by Go Northwest themselves.

Also it seems 53 is another route operated by Go Northwest and not sub contracted out.
(07/04/2021 05:48)M60lad Wrote:  Not sure if its been reported but since I've gone back to work in Manchester I've noticed on my way home that 18:10 135 to Bury is operated by Go Northwest themselves.

Also it seems 53 is another route operated by Go Northwest and not sub contracted out.
I'm sure the 53 was done by GNW quite early on. About a week in or something like that. They are also operating a few trips on a few routes just randomly. 97/98 has had a few GNW buses track. Seems to be about 6 round trips overall on the 135. Some in the morning and some in the evening peaks.
(07/04/2021 05:48)M60lad Wrote:  Not sure if its been reported but since I've gone back to work in Manchester I've noticed on my way home that 18:10 135 to Bury is operated by Go Northwest themselves.

They do some peak workings on 135.
53 was taken back at end of week 2/3 once enough drivers had returned to operate it. Like wise the 97/98, as more drivers return more journeys will be run by GNW.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)