Current time: 18/04/2024, 19:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go North West
RE: Go North West - FLEETNEWS ONLY - NO STRIKE TALK!
(16/03/2021 01:33)Solo40336 Wrote:  As Mayneway has said above, there was never any "wrong buses" on the 415, its down to having different variants of Enviro200 that fit. GNW are probably the strictest operator for bus types the route has seen. When I used to use the route daily Firsts B7's did "accidentally" make it on the route, out of the 3 times I was on board 2 were swapped part way though the route for the Darts in use at the time and one (66872) made it full route no problem. Even during the closure of the low bridge a couple of months back Stagecoach used multiple deckers on there where as GNW stuck with the Enviro200s.

As for the branding your comment makes it sound oh so simple but its not. A branded bus should never be used on spares, ideally yes but on a daily basis there will be multiple branded buses in the workshops having Inspections and defect repairs, the vast majority can be done by early afternoon so you then have 2, 3, 4 branded buses that are automatically spare. Sure one or two can be slipped onto a school so doesn't really matter, but for the remaining repaired buses, branded or not they need to be sent out to make the afternoon PVR regardless of being on the correct route or not.

so you use then as staff buses then swap out. When they get to Manchester. Look at Nottingham or Trent or Reading they get it right.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/03/2021 06:58)M60lad Wrote:  I thought the problem with deckers on 52 now was the fact the way the duties worked now was that at some point during the day a short would end up interworking with a long to Trafford Centre.

From what I've seen online recently though it seems that when Tyrers were doing 52 they were using Deckers regularly, not to sure whether these deckers were also used on the longs to Trafford Centre though and that's despite Tyrers being another operator being strict as to where a dobule decker can go.

Going back to 415s and showing my age back when I was younger GMBuses had no problem using various Leyland Nationals on the route with various size of pods on them, there was also a rumour once over that a Citaro made it onto 415 but I don't actually believe it myself, the only other type that I can remember being used on 415 was one of the Wright Renown B10BLEs.

Think they tried one of the normal Enviro200’s with pods and it just made it under but it was tight, so was decided just to use buses without the pods.

I think the problem for Tyrers on the 52 was they didn’t have enough single deckers to use so used deckers but they ran the full route using Patchicroft bridge (100 route) in and out from Trafford centre.
(16/03/2021 08:43)Mrboo Wrote:  so you use then as staff buses then swap out. When they get to Manchester. Look at Nottingham or Trent or Reading they get it right.

Might work perfectly well when you have a large depot or huge outside yard with plenty of space but if space is hard and buses are parked in 18 rows of 12 with very little space to play it’s hard work.

As I’ve said shunting and routing out is a skill and an art, only takes one flat battery or an air leak and your plan is out the window.
(16/03/2021 06:58)M60lad Wrote:  I thought the problem with deckers on 52 now was the fact the way the duties worked now was that at some point during the day a short would end up interworking with a long to Trafford Centre.

From what I've seen online recently though it seems that when Tyrers were doing 52 they were using Deckers regularly, not to sure whether these deckers were also used on the longs to Trafford Centre though and that's despite Tyrers being another operator being strict as to where a dobule decker can go.

Going back to 415s and showing my age back when I was younger GMBuses had no problem using various Leyland Nationals on the route with various size of pods on them, there was also a rumour once over that a Citaro made it onto 415 but I don't actually believe it myself, the only other type that I can remember being used on 415 was one of the Wright Renown B10BLEs.

While on my daily walks I’ve noticed Tyrers using double deckers on the 52 to the Trafford Centre, these followed the same route as the 100 from Eccles Interchange. Same goes for the various coaches being used also.
(16/03/2021 06:58)M60lad Wrote:  Going back to 415s and showing my age back when I was younger GMBuses had no problem using various Leyland Nationals on the route with various size of pods on them, there was also a rumour once over that a Citaro made it onto 415 but I don't actually believe it myself, the only other type that I can remember being used on 415 was one of the Wright Renown B10BLEs.

Not long after the Citaros returned to Oldham I arrived to Middleton and just missed my 415 pulling off the stand, that was a Citaro. Was gutted when I missed it but I never found out if it ran under the bridge or followed the diversion.
Plenty of larger buses fit under, JPT used to use Enviro300's on there and personally I think the GNW Enviro200s with roof pods would fit no problem.

(16/03/2021 08:43)Mrboo Wrote:  so you use then as staff buses then swap out. When they get to Manchester. Look at Nottingham or Trent or Reading they get it right.

Again, its really not that simple. A depot like Queens most drivers will travel on a 135 so there likely isn't a staff bus during the early afternoon. And even to swap the bus over it has to time with a service without causing delay, and in the 30 minutes it takes to take a branded bus and bring back a unbranded bus could leave the depot without its only spare bus for 30 minutes.
Bus depots are a lot more complicated than you seem to think.
(16/03/2021 13:40)Solo40336 Wrote:  Not long after the Citaros returned to Oldham I arrived to Middleton and just missed my 415 pulling off the stand, that was a Citaro. Was gutted when I missed it but I never found out if it ran under the bridge or followed the diversion.
Plenty of larger buses fit under, JPT used to use Enviro300's on there and personally I think the GNW Enviro200s with roof pods would fit no problem.

Again, its really not that simple. A depot like Queens most drivers will travel on a 135 so there likely isn't a staff bus during the early afternoon. And even to swap the bus over it has to time with a service without causing delay, and in the 30 minutes it takes to take a branded bus and bring back a unbranded bus could leave the depot without its only spare bus for 30 minutes.
Bus depots are a lot more complicated than you seem to think.
Am a London bus controller ( Weekends) and live in Manchester so know in and outs. It all about having systems in place and everyone sticking to them.

If you look at Nottingham they have it down to a art https://youtu.be/A6DD2qK1sAs
(16/03/2021 14:11)Mrboo Wrote:  Am a London bus controller ( Weekends) and live in Manchester so know in and outs. It all about having systems in place and everyone sticking to them.

If you look at Nottingham they have it down to a art https://youtu.be/A6DD2qK1sAs

London is very different to Manchester. I’ve shunted and routed and when space is tight it’s hard. Everyone assumes it’s easy, it’s not believe me.
(16/03/2021 13:40)Solo40336 Wrote:  Not long after the Citaros returned to Oldham I arrived to Middleton and just missed my 415 pulling off the stand, that was a Citaro. Was gutted when I missed it but I never found out if it ran under the bridge or followed the diversion.

All the Enviros will fit under, I fanct most of the QS Streetlites now have N/S mirrors next to the door rather than on an arm out in front of the bus so I reckon these would go under, the problem is to get them under you have to go right over to the other side of the road and go in at a certain angle so not to catch the low corner of the bridge, so when the route is risk assessed they look at it and say it’s too iffy, so restrict what can be used.
(16/03/2021 20:20)Mayneway Wrote:  All the Enviros will fit under, I fanct most of the QS Streetlites now have N/S mirrors next to the door rather than on an arm out in front of the bus so I reckon these would go under, the problem is to get them under you have to go right over to the other side of the road and go in at a certain angle so not to catch the low corner of the bridge, so when the route is risk assessed they look at it and say it’s too iffy, so restrict what can be used.

If I'm remembering correctly, aren't StreetLites ever so slightly taller than the 9'9" that Enviro200s are, and as such can't legally clear the bridge?

From when I drove for Middleton, all of our Enviro200s and Enviro300s were stickered up at 9'9" and would make it through, although it was very rare for an Enviro300 to be sent on the 415 owing to the length and increased width. Therefore the Enviro200s with the roof pod shouldn't be going under the bridge as they'll be taller than 9'9"?
(16/03/2021 20:20)Mayneway Wrote:  All the Enviros will fit under, I fanct most of the QS Streetlites now have N/S mirrors next to the door rather than on an arm out in front of the bus so I reckon these would go under, the problem is to get them under you have to go right over to the other side of the road and go in at a certain angle so not to catch the low corner of the bridge, so when the route is risk assessed they look at it and say it’s too iffy, so restrict what can be used.

When I was at bluebird we used to run dead from chadderton sportsman's under that bridge enviro 300s &I'm sure after stagecoach took the MAN lowliners

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)