Current time: 19/04/2024, 11:03 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Get me there and Contactless card payment
RE: Get me there and Contactless card payment
(15/01/2021 11:37)L401CJF Wrote:  As a driver albeit Merseyside not Gm, its not my job to check names on cards, read dates on passes, or tackle fraud. We are told not to confront passengers and that its the job of inspectors to tackle fare evasion, and anything else gets handled by the police. We have the option to put in a travelsafe report if we suspect fare evasion, fraud etc, but can I be bothered to fill in a form on my break or after my shift? Absolutely not. I drive the bus, if the machine accepts your card/pass you travel, if it doesn't you pay or get off - but I'm not going to argue over it. If you have a paper ticket, I don't care what it says on it, thats for the revenue to tackle not me.

No driver in their right mind would bother getting involved with a known group of criminals, and neither should they be expected to. We are paid to sell tickets and drive , not to work as police officers.

Spot on. Exactly the same in GM. My job is to drive a bus safely from A to B not worry that someone might be paying fraudulently or using their mates card etc. The comments above are written by a non driver who has no idea how hard the job actually is!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Not all buses have alarms on them either and on our Ticketer the Emergency Message is just that, a message, no guarantees it would be picked up by the depot until later on.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(15/01/2021 13:11)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Not all buses have alarms on them either and on our Ticketer the Emergency Message is just that, a message, no guarantees it would be picked up by the depot until later on.

A former colleague of mine at the previous company I worked at was attacked late at night by a young kid who wanted a free ride, it took the police 45 minutes to attend and that was an assault. Our job is hard enough, Even worse than ever now with the current pandemic, any driver checking cards is asking for trouble.
(15/01/2021 13:11)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Not all buses have alarms on them either and on our Ticketer the Emergency Message is just that, a message, no guarantees it would be picked up by the depot until later on.
all down to the company you work for as any good company would have that message going to a manned control room not some manager phone. it could even goto travel safe control
(15/01/2021 18:10)Mrboo Wrote:  all down to the company you work for as any good company would have that message going to a manned control room not some manager phone. it could even goto travel safe control

Anyone know of any companies in GM where this is the case? I certainly don’t!
They have definitely been stopped due to fraud. The problem is these people will now target the “young person” weeklies I think. I think an igo style approach should be implemented for the adult tickets, where you have to see the picture on the card before topping it up. For a young person card this is the case, however not for adults - it should become the norm!
I know you can buy Get Me There tickets for the Metrolink via their app. I think there should be a push for other products to be sold this way, which will help the fraud problem. Especially if QR Code verification is in place, which it is for most if not all operators in Greater Manchester
(15/01/2021 18:12)thomasl1231 Wrote:  Anyone know of any companies in GM where this is the case? I certainly don’t!

I’d love to know what he’s been taking. His responses are getting funnier and funnier. It’s the company’s fault fraudsters want to rip us all off. Classic
(15/01/2021 18:10)Mrboo Wrote:  all down to the company you work for as any good company would have that message going to a manned control room not some manager phone. it could even goto travel safe control

Or avoid confrontation and don't get into unneccesary situations where you need to send out emergency messages?

Let the police do their job and let the drivers do theirs.

It doesn't matter where the message goes from the ticket machines -if its a true emergency you don't faff around texting the depot on a machine, you phone 999.
(15/01/2021 18:49)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  I know you can buy Get Me There tickets for the Metrolink via their app. I think there should be a push for other products to be sold this way, which will help the fraud problem. Especially if QR Code verification is in place, which it is for most if not all operators in Greater Manchester
More companies should look in depth at the app to smartcard tickets via NFC. A lot of people like the convenience of paying by phone but don't like using the phone as a ticket (phones die and stuff like that). By using the transfer to smartcard via NFC method, people pay in the most convenient way and have the security of the smartcard.

That is the way forward I think. It's already being done on trains and by some bus apps. This would be a win, win. Less people paying by contactless onboard (which reduces the risk of payments bouncing) which then speeds up dwell times and I don't think there would be any ongoing cost with it either. The benefits to the customer are above.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)