Current time: 27/04/2024, 05:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseytravel gain London Style Bus Powers
RE: Merseytravel gain London Style Bus Powers
if i understand this as well as its juist be explained to me then all bus routes will soon be tender

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
If I have read the article correctly, this does not have to wait for a general election. Liverpool are proposing it just for our city. They only want other major cities to join in so that it reduces the risk of a legal challenge. Also it is only being proposed on routes in Liverpool were operators don't see profit. So areas such as Bowring Park etc would see routes safeguarded and routes like the 79 would still be with in Arriva's own control.
Find all posts by this user
(14/06/2012 22:10)Harryn9000 Wrote:  i am gonna watch this with interest as the price of fares now is a joke 4 quid to go there and back to liverpool train is less than that and so is a saveaway

That's quite naive if you think prices are going to be cut, Merseytravel already set the fares for Merseyrail, & set the prices for the Saveaway.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Should be merseyside not just liverpool
(15/06/2012 10:53)MTL0201 Wrote:  
(14/06/2012 22:10)Harryn9000 Wrote:  i am gonna watch this with interest as the price of fares now is a joke 4 quid to go there and back to liverpool train is less than that and so is a saveaway

That's quite naive if you think prices are going to be cut, Merseytravel already set the fares for Merseyrail, & set the prices for the Saveaway.

That's not totally true.

The Merseyrail franchise agreement states that Anytime Day Return fares in the Merseyside fares "basket" cannot rise by more than RPI (Inflation). Merseyrail has the flexibility to price the fares as they see appropriate, i.e. some fares could go up 100% so long as others go down/remain unchanged, so long as the total basket increase does not exceed RPI aka "bust the basket".

Single fares and all off peak tickets are completely unregulated bar the saveaway.

Other fare baskets can increase by RPI+3%. The other baskets are things that go outside of Merseyside like Wirral-Warrington. The DfT control these baskets.
(15/06/2012 12:34)First Class Wrote:  
(15/06/2012 10:53)MTL0201 Wrote:  

That's not totally true.

The Merseyrail franchise agreement states that Anytime Day Return fares in the Merseyside fares "basket" cannot rise by more than RPI (Inflation). Merseyrail has the flexibility to price the fares as they see appropriate, i.e. some fares could go up 100% so long as others go down/remain unchanged, so long as the total basket increase does not exceed RPI aka "bust the basket".

Single fares and all off peak tickets are completely unregulated bar the saveaway.

Other fare baskets can increase by RPI+3%. The other baskets are things that go outside of Merseyside like Wirral-Warrington. The DfT control these baskets.

My misstake, cheers for clearing that up, but still don't think fares will be lower though, maybe single fares reintroduced, plus this proposed scheme is just for buses rather than trains.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
liverpool ain't the richest city up north within space of a year or so bus fares hae gone up nearly 50p same excuse rising fuel cost people rely on buses, £2 these days is a lot of money to quite a lot of the public child fare are a joke as well just on a pound to get bus not so long ago now it nearly £1.40 all this money arriva and stagecoach get but arriva still use clapped out buses at least stagecoach got a modern fleet that fit for purpose
(15/06/2012 15:41)Harryn9000 Wrote:  liverpool ain't the richest city up north within space of a year or so bus fares hae gone up nearly 50p same excuse rising fuel cost people rely on buses, £2 these days is a lot of money to quite a lot of the public child fare are a joke as well just on a pound to get bus not so long ago now it nearly £1.40 all this money arriva and stagecoach get but arriva still use clapped out buses at least stagecoach got a modern fleet that fit for purpose

To be fair, arriva have spent a lot of money on new vehicles over the last few years and operate more services than Stagecoach, but the worst arriva bus is probably a lot worse than the worst stagecoach one.
cannot wait for them to scrap them marshall there terrible those dennis dart need scrapping as well with the urban 90 seat uncomfortable doesn't even come close to the ride quality of those seats
Since de-regulation in 1986 the bus companies have grown a little bit too powerful. Certainly in outer City locations the lack of competition means companies can charge/do pretty much what they want. This idea has proven to work well in the Capital & given the correct implementation & consultation may not be an altogether bad plan.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)