Current time: 06/05/2024, 03:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Service Changes
RE: Greater Manchester Service Changes
(02/11/2020 06:38)Mikeonthebuses Wrote:  For last few years elderly residents have been requesting another a service to be reinstated to serve Coalshaw Green to access the local supermarkets and services which have been impossible since the withdrawal of the 149, 151, 152 from the area.

If TFGM was to introduce a new service or restructure the network could they look at reconnecting Coalshaw Green again to the nearby local amenities to help the elderly and disabled to access them more easily?

The network is complete shambles in Oldham which is so disjointed and confusing to use, you have got the highest percentage of routes sharing on the route when there are underbussed areas needing a functional service.

With the 183 services it a total waste of resources from Oldham Hospital as 9 times out of ten carry any passengers so this route could be better used by extending the route to Newton Heath.

It about time some serious investment and common sense was put on to Oldham Network to sort out is bus network and make it all work and connect people once again instead of the crazy paving route network we have today
Coalshaw Green has the 81 which links to Harpurhey Shopping Centre. Other than that, I can't find any other supermarkets close by which are public transport linked (at least close enough for the elderly people to be satisfied) so you would be looking at new services taking obscure routes.

I think using the 'you have got the highest percentage of routes sharing on the route when there are underbussed areas needing a functional service.' is an easy cop out for Manchester. It is well known and is oven proven that if a bus isn't viable, it is cut so the arguement that areas are overbussed is kind of false. Why would any company run more buses than they have to (except right now where central gov is funding it until buses get back to 100% usage)

The 183 I agree with you on though. It's 90% duplicated by other services and funds could be better spent. I can see Lime Green Road complaining though so you'd need to divert perhaps the 159 to serve the estate (instead of Mersey Road North and the first part of Manchester Road). The issue with this is the journey time is 2 mins longer and so you would need to link it onto another route because it would be too tight on layover (perhaps like it into the 415 tender).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greater Manchester Service Changes - iMarkeh - 02/11/2020 16:02

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)