Current time: 25/04/2024, 01:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Service Changes
RE: Greater Manchester Service Changes
(04/08/2021 11:49)Barney Wrote:  My understanding is that EU driving limits no longer apply. Recently, the government waived HGV driving hours as, not unsurprisingly, there is a now a serious shortage of HGV drivers.

Is that not a temporary lifting due to HGV shortages caused by Brexit and COVID?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(04/08/2021 09:35)djb Wrote:  I can’t see that being an issue unless there’s waiting time planned in. Macc bus station doesn’t exactly have the most intensively used stands.

What I was trying to get at is if there hasn't been proper dialogue between the operator and council it might result in say stand 6 being allocated for Macclesfield-Ashbourne services and stand 4 for Manchester Airport-Macclesfield, which would be impractical when it's actually one through service.

I accept the stands at Macc aren't as intensively used as in the past when the 130 was half-hourly and the 27 was hourly and had a layover at Macc. Although, the services are generally less consistent now e.g. the 19 is no only every 60 minutes so some departures are at xx:50 and others are at xx:20, with the first one being 07:30 and the last being 18:05. Then the other High Peak services are interworked so I think the stand for the 58 arrival needs to be the same as the stand for the 14 departure. It's definitely not getting unworkable but does need some thought to be put in to stand allocations.
(04/08/2021 17:55)knutstransport Wrote:  What I was trying to get at is if there hasn't been proper dialogue between the operator and council it might result in say stand 6 being allocated for Macclesfield-Ashbourne services and stand 4 for Manchester Airport-Macclesfield, which would be impractical when it's actually one through service.

I accept the stands at Macc aren't as intensively used as in the past when the 130 was half-hourly and the 27 was hourly and had a layover at Macc. Although, the services are generally less consistent now e.g. the 19 is no only every 60 minutes so some departures are at xx:50 and others are at xx:20, with the first one being 07:30 and the last being 18:05. Then the other High Peak services are interworked so I think the stand for the 58 arrival needs to be the same as the stand for the 14 departure. It's definitely not getting unworkable but does need some thought to be put in to stand allocations.
You don't need the same stands for interworking buses. Not sure where that idea comes from. Buses should be put on stands based off their routes, not what they may do before/after the trip.. In this instance, towards Manchester should be linked with the 130 and towards Ashbourne linked with the 109.

On one sole point which may back you up, Cheshire East have today updated their bus service changes page to include the 391/392 from September using Wellington Street due to Stockport Bus Station redevelopment. No sign of the Hulleys bus so I would be interested to know if they are aware of it given it isn't posted in todays update.
(04/08/2021 19:17)iMarkeh Wrote:  You don't need the same stands for interworking buses. Not sure where that idea comes from.

It's common sense that you would do where there's a short turnaround, otherwise you just make things difficult for drivers by adding additional unnecessary reversing movements in to the mix. I would guess if someone was stupid enough to allocate stand 6 at Macc for a 58 arrival and stand 3 for a 14 departure that the High Peak driver would use common sense and go straight in to stand 3 if it's available and drop off the 58 passengers there, before picking up the 14 passengers and going straight back out again. The turnaround time is so short there isn't time to mess around with reversing from one stand to another, even if other drivers aren't trying to reverse out at the same time.

Quote:On one sole point which may back you up, Cheshire East have today updated their bus service changes page to include the 391/392 from September using Wellington Street due to Stockport Bus Station redevelopment. No sign of the Hulleys bus so I would be interested to know if they are aware of it given it isn't posted in todays update.

It wasn't actually my suggestion that there may not have been proper dialogue between Hulleys and Cheshire East. Although, I do recall someone posting on here previously that TfGM don't always get advance notice of new registrations of GM services which they haven't contracted because they aren't copied in on the registration request.

It doesn't look like the registration for the X1 has been accepted by the TC yet so I would say it's normal for Cheshire East to not publicise a new service until it's been confirmed by the TC it can start. Although, with the 191 Lymm Shopper they didn't add it to their website as soon as it was registered, despite Cheshire East actually providing funding towards the new Warrington Borough Council awarded contract so that it serves Little Bollington. Even now it only appears on the changes page with no mention of the route, unless you download the timetable pdf.
For some months now Macclesfield bus station has been 'boarding only' on the stands. Buses drop off passengers at the stop just outside the bus station then run onto the stand empty. It's so intending passengers don't meet exiting passengers. Although many restrictions are now eased we are still dropping off outside the bus station.

(04/08/2021 19:51)knutstransport Wrote:  I would guess if someone was stupid enough to allocate stand 6 at Macc for a 58 arrival and stand 3 for a 14 departure that the High Peak driver would use common sense and go straight in to stand 3 if it's available and drop off the 58 passengers there, before picking up the 14 passengers and going straight back out again.

Works for me
(04/08/2021 11:49)Barney Wrote:  My understanding is that EU driving limits no longer apply. Recently, the government waived HGV driving hours as, not unsurprisingly, there is a now a serious shortage of HGV drivers.
That HGV not PSV mind you. Using GB is far easier. some of my rail replacement routes have same bus doing 4 legs with 5 mins break at each station. means there slack in times also so buses have time to make up late running.
(04/08/2021 22:58)Rick Hunter Wrote:  For some months now Macclesfield bus station has been 'boarding only' on the stands. Buses drop off passengers at the stop just outside the bus station then run onto the stand empty. It's so intending passengers don't meet exiting passengers. Although many restrictions are now eased we are still dropping off outside the bus station.

Wasn't aware that was still happening, the last time I went to Macc I didn't go in to the bus station. I seem to recall that on Sundays all services pick up and set down from the stop outside the bus station as Cheshire East want to save money by not opening the building on Sundays.
(04/08/2021 19:51)knutstransport Wrote:  It's common sense that you would do where there's a short turnaround, otherwise you just make things difficult for drivers by adding additional unnecessary reversing movements in to the mix. I would guess if someone was stupid enough to allocate stand 6 at Macc for a 58 arrival and stand 3 for a 14 departure that the High Peak driver would use common sense and go straight in to stand 3 if it's available and drop off the 58 passengers there, before picking up the 14 passengers and going straight back out again. The turnaround time is so short there isn't time to mess around with reversing from one stand to another, even if other drivers aren't trying to reverse out at the same time.
I don't know any driver who would drop off at stand 6 to then reverse, go around the bus station and then come back to stand 3. I know common sense is lacking in some drivers but no one will ever make the job more difficult than it needs to be. As long as there is space and the interworking works, you just go straight to the departures stand and then layover there. It's bonkers to assume people would do otherwise else god help some bus stations in other areas which have interworking on a large scale. Nah, no driver, unless the bus station is some highly guarded, PTE bus station with little hitlers intentionally trying to fine you, you will drop off at a designated bay and then layover if you have a lot of time or if not (<5 minutes or so), go straight to the departures bay, load and unload there.

(04/08/2021 19:51)knutstransport Wrote:  It doesn't look like the registration for the X1 has been accepted by the TC yet so I would say it's normal for Cheshire East to not publicise a new service until it's been confirmed by the TC it can start. Although, with the 191 Lymm Shopper they didn't add it to their website as soon as it was registered, despite Cheshire East actually providing funding towards the new Warrington Borough Council awarded contract so that it serves Little Bollington. Even now it only appears on the changes page with no mention of the route, unless you download the timetable pdf.
84 hasn't been accepted, nor has the 391/392 but they are included (The accepted ones from D&G aren't included though). I think it's just CEC being weird.
(05/08/2021 10:00)iMarkeh Wrote:  I don't know any driver who would drop off at stand 6 to then reverse, go around the bus station and then come back to stand 3. I know common sense is lacking in some drivers but no one will ever make the job more difficult than it needs to be. As long as there is space and the interworking works, you just go straight to the departures stand and then layover there. It's bonkers to assume people would do otherwise else god help some bus stations in other areas which have interworking on a large scale. Nah, no driver, unless the bus station is some highly guarded, PTE bus station with little hitlers intentionally trying to fine you, you will drop off at a designated bay and then layover if you have a lot of time or if not (<5 minutes or so), go straight to the departures bay, load and unload there.

Whether or not drivers are being watched by inspectors they still have stand allocations and they should make sense.

Knutsford bus station is definitely not busy but the way the timetables work there's a few buses around between 09:25 and 09:55 on weekdays:

88 (Altrincham bound) - arrival 09:13, departure 09:25
47 - arrival 09:30, departure 09:40
88 (Macclesfield bound) - arrival 09:45, departure 09:58.
T2 - 09:40 departure (selected days)

As the 47 is allocated stand 2 it would obviously be idiotic to allocate the T2 to stand 2 as well. As the afternoon 47 has a similar time to an 88 Altrincham departure it also allows both 47s to be allocated the same stand and all Altrincham bound 88s to be allocated the same stand. It's common sense to keep things as straight forward as possible.

Other than the T2 it appears nothing is allocated stand 1 but the reality is school and work services are allocated stand 1 so it keeps them and the people waiting for them out of the way of the other stands. The school and works services may have 50 seater coaches running them so there's also logic to them not being allocated the middle stand.
Diamond Bus changes for 29th August. Withdrawal of 470 for winter and the X8 permanently, along with 635 extension to Wigan Infirmary removed.

Quote:Diamond service changes from Sunday 29th August 2021

Timetable changes on the following services, please check the new timetables as the times of some journeys may have changed: These will be available shortly with links below.

8, 20, 21, 22, 29, 36, 37, 65, 66, 70, 74, 75, 79, 162, 163, 471, 472, 474, 501, 507, 511, 516, 520, 524, 533, 561, 562, 575, 582, 583, X39.

Service 66 Eccles – Prestwich to address ongoing issues with punctuality, in partnership with TfGM we will shorten the route from Prestwich Tesco to Prestwich Longfield Centre/Metrolink stop. There will also be a revised timetable.

Service 470 “Rammy Rambler” will continue to operate up to and including Sunday 5th September, after which it will stop running for the winter season.

Service 511 Bolton – Walshaw – Bury this service will now depart from stand B at Bolton Interchange. There will also be a revised timetable.

Service 520 Bolton – Westhoughton this service will now operate from stands S/T at Bolton Interchange. There will also be a revised timetable.

Service 635 Appley Bridge – Wigan this service will no longer operate between Wigan Infirmary and Wigan Bus Station. This is due to general timekeeping issues as well as congestion within the Infirmary grounds. Connections between Wigan and Wigan Infirmary are available on Arriva service 362.

Service X8 Johnson Fold – Manchester express this service, which has been temporarily suspended since March 2020, will be permanently withdrawn. Connections between Johnson Fold and Bolton are available on service 501 (Stagecoach service 125 on Chorley Old Rd) and service 8 between Bolton and Manchester.

Please note that regular Sunday timetables will be in operation for the Late Summer Public Holiday on Monday 30th August 2021.

https://www.diamondbuses.com/north-west/...e-updates/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)