Current time: 24/04/2024, 04:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern Trains Ltd
RE: Northern Trains Ltd
142's always had a bad press , on decent track they seemed ok , think a lot of the bad publicity for them came from a major change in the internal seating on some units .

When new units came on stream the bus type seating just looked so 1980's in some of the pacer fleet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(28/11/2020 17:56)wirralbus Wrote:  142's always had a bad press , on decent track they seemed ok , think a lot of the bad publicity for them came from a major change in the internal seating on some units .

When new units came on stream the bus type seating just looked so 1980's in some of the pacer fleet.

Yes for a short service on a line with zero gradient, no bends and low usage they are fine. Unfortunately, Northern had over 100 of the trains and only about 2 lines which met those specifications.
It is just this month that I have noticed the northern logo replaced by NORTHERN in block capitals and, I think, slightly thinner letters. Very few trains are either not yet in Northern livery or with seats other than Northern blue moquette. This must be the first time that Northern has had such a consistent image.
Northern have deleted some services from journey planners for the week of the 14th December.
Revised pdf timetables now on Northern's website, which now features some services only running from 25th January.
Don't seem to be able to find a Crewe line pdf - I thought it disappeared into the Chat Moss or Wigan tables, but it doesn't seem to be there now?
;
Hadfield, Chester and Sheffield appear to be the lines affected - it does seem odd that anyone can suddenly say Chester and Manchester are each going to be unable to cover one or one and a half turns.
(01/12/2020 23:08)mikestone Wrote:  Don't seem to be able to find a Crewe line pdf - I thought it disappeared into the Chat Moss or Wigan tables, but it doesn't seem to be there now?
;
Hadfield, Chester and Sheffield appear to be the lines affected - it does seem odd that anyone can suddenly say Chester and Manchester are each going to be unable to cover one or one and a half turns.

Crewe and airport services are now all in the same timetable booklet.

In terms of trains it looks like the trains off the both the 11:41 & 12:41 Piccadilly to Chester services will then join up and run the 15:02 Chester to Piccadilly and 16:40 Piccadilly to Chester and then split up again so that one train runs the 21:02 Chester to Piccadilly and the other runs the 22:00 Chester to Piccadilly. However, what the drivers and guards will do is a separate question and less obvious. It could be the doubled up services get 2 x guards and 1 x driver.

To complicate matters the train off the 16:41 Piccadilly to Chester goes on to a Helsby to Ellesmere Port service and then a Ellesmere Port to Lime Street service, meaning the train off the one surviving peak time extra (17:19 Stockport to Chester) works the 19:00 Chester to Piccadily.

I can't, however, see any inconsistencies in the Chester to Victoria/Leeds services, so it doesn't look like any drivers switch from one line to another unless a driver does work a Mid-Cheshire service and goes on a Chester-Victoria service with another driver for route learning purposes.
Thanks.
;
I see one diagram on the Clitheroe circuit seems now to be conveying a 153 - I wondered if perhaps there was a problem with inter unit gangways when shunting at Horrocksford, but the coupled set was a 156 yesterday.
;
Only one short formed diagram on journey check. I haven't been checking recently, is this now the norm?
(02/12/2020 11:08)mikestone Wrote:  Only one short formed diagram on journey check. I haven't been checking recently, is this now the norm?

Their definition of short formed seems to be limited to services which have fewer carriages than they would have done back in March. In the case of routes which currently have a reduced frequency and more doubling up, they don't tend to report when the doubling up isn't happening.
The new Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington timetable no longer includes the East Midlands Railway fast service..

Liverpool to Manchester via St Helens timetable no longer includes TPE fast services

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)