Current time: 01/05/2024, 08:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Maytree Travel - Bolton
RE: Maytree Travel - Bolton
(18/06/2012 06:43)Nicholas Wrote:  Lowton I can agree with as it would be a good little link to the infirmary. I'm not sure about Landside as its not that busy and is a well off area. I can only assume its to help reduce layover time.

I wouldn't be sure about this either previous attempts by other operators other than Jim Stones since deregulation have all failed, namely GM Buses using little Gems in 1987 and Heatons Travel using a Talbot Pullman in 1989/90. So the Maytree experiment looks set to fail, as Jim Stones has a big loyalty following and therefore any attempt will probably fail, the 596 dosen't carry healthy loads anyway.

I suspect this service is an attempt to compete against Jim Stones on a number of services to try to destablise it and nothing more, but its an attempt that will likely fail.

Incidently what Maytree have registered is largely the path of the 979 School Service by the looks of it which runs between Leigh and Newton St Aldreds School, although the fact that it serves the sports village ads variation, incidently the 979 is also operated by Jim Stones Coaches and his only service into Merseyside.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The 596 is only partly tendered, I think this involves the section around Landside but then again I may be wrong. The service is busy at times, I have seen fully seated buses before now and I'm not talking a bus full of pensioners!

I think you're right in Maytree attempting to destabilise other independents, look at their competition with SLT. It looks like they have a liking for taking on bus companies based in the Leigh area! I can see this "backfiring", for some reason I keep having visions of SLT taking over Maytree - NOT that I am speculating, suggesting or starting rumours.

And isn't St Aelreds HS now Hope Academy?
St Aelreds HS is now indeed Hope Academy.
I thought the 596 was purely commercial as its daytimes only, nothing beyond shopping hours. Yes it does reasonably well in parts, but I reemmber going back to GM Buses days and Heatons days on the 671 to 673 (GM Buses) and the 596 (Heatons Travel) that to see one person on the competitors buses was a miricle yet Jim was running around with full loads. THe 671-5673 ran every 20 minites on that section using Dodge S56's and Iveco 49.10's the Heatons vehicle was his solitary Pullman - F199BCW , it followed the Jim Stones vehicle directly behind which always seemd silly to me or directly in front and while Heatons carried few, Jim Stones carried a full load. In other words there is a loyality to Jim Stones by local people in Leigh that there isn't to other operators.

Yes I suspect Maytree may end up folding one way or another, probably along with Tyrers of Colne which is involved with Maytree and has a similar expansion patten itseslf having won routes off Fishwicks around Leyland in the evenings that require a shed full of dead mileage to operate them. One will bring the other down I suspect. There are of course few assets at Maytree as most vehicles are leased either from Mistral or TfGM and the depot is owned by Seddons construction and is on there land off Plodder Lane adjacent to their head office and used to be there company car section garage. So really appart fropm a solitary Volvo B7TL, and a collection of Three ex Bu-Val MPD's I can't think there are any other vehicles owned and even these might be leased.
It is Tyrers of Adlington who won the contracts from Fishwicks, not the East Lancs baed company of the same name.
(22/06/2012 06:31)St Helens Rider Wrote:  It is Tyrers of Adlington who won the contracts from Fishwicks, not the East Lancs baed company of the same name.

Tyrers (Nelson) did do the 109 from Stagecoch I think thats what Gilesbus is on abort and also the solitary Volvo B7TL is for sale in Route one mag.
No no, go there at night and a whole group of services are operated by Optare Solo's with Tyrer Bus lettering in the Leyland Area, if I aren't mistaken Tyrers of Adlington have no Solo's, and plus I've also seen them dead traveling over from Colne along the M65, at least one diagram also operates into Preston from Leyland (these signtings have been on Saturdays).

I also understand that a sub base is operted at Todmorden for contracts there won from First West Yorkshire.

The one concern I have, is how can they be winning all these contracts at a profitable price, and that if fuel costs where to go up or a considerable number of better contracts where lost would either company be viable, and as Tyrer Trawden has a shareholding in Maytree could not one bring the other down.

My suspision is that this is a possible outcome, presumably the only thing of value is the actual contracts.

These presumably in the case of Bolton would be split between SLT as Nicolas suggested and First Manchester depending on what it is and where it is exactly, maybe the 597 could go to Jim Stones. If the outcome at Trawden and Todmorden was similar probably First West Yorkshire, Transdev, Pilkingtons and Stagecoach and various others would perhaps mop up.

However I guess we wait and see as they have upto now survived quite a fair while.
I stand corrected - sorry guys. Easily confused given the location of the contracts.
Following the recent loss of contracts, the base at Todmorden will now only be operating the Rochdale services. It makes me wonder if Tyrer's registration of the 464T would replace the 591T with the outstation closing.

Also noticed on VOSA that the Tyrer 109 is cancelled from next month, so I assume that contract is due to end.
Bolton Metroshuttle bus at Shudehill Interchange this afternoon on the 31.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)