Current time: 25/04/2024, 21:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester bus franchising
RE: Manchester bus franchising
(21/02/2023 10:11)Barney Wrote:  I'm not sure where you are going with this. Which two pieces of legislation? Are you suggesting that the change from deregulation to a franchising model in the whole of Manchester should happen instantaneously without any interim period for planning and preparation?

Also, the 1985 Transport Act specifically exempted two areas from bus deregulation, London and Northern Ireland, so even back then there were three systems operating in tandem: franchising in the TfL area, full state control in NI and deregulation in the rest of the UK.

As for your ludicrous assertion that politicians shouldn't be anywhere public transport, acts of parliament relating to public transport have been on the statute books since the days of Stephenson's Rocket and horse-drawn trams. Are you suggesting that there is no need for any public transport legislation in the UK? I have just Googled the ten best public transport systems in the world and surprise, surprise they are all funded by the state and highly regulated (by elected politicians).

Finally, I would love to know which "other things" you think politicians should not be involved in. Health care, education, social services, policing, the emergency services, housing, planning, the environment?

It's quite clear that 'planning and preparation' in GM has been pretty dire from the outset and a lack of foresight into any consequences has been clear to see, an excess £2.5m so far.
As for exempting TfL from dereg, if there was a belief it was the way forward, why was it left out ?. Precious London too good for that obviously, although it's current dire state financially speaks volumes about the direction it went in.
As for politicians (local and national), they have certainly demonstrated abject failure, but that's the ridiculous two party 'system' we are lumbered with. There is a need for quality legislation, but that's currently impossible. If only we had politicians that acted to benefit the people and not in their own self interest, the services you quote, wouldn't all be in such a parlous state.
I doubt the next 'unexpected' financial hit for the GM ratepayer, won't be too far away.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Manchester bus franchising - johnluke - 11/01/2020, 17:41
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 23/12/2022, 16:28
RE: Manchester bus franchising - 1466 - 27/12/2022, 20:41
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 30/12/2022, 19:25
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 12/01/2023, 19:15
RE: Manchester bus franchising - KXW212 - 21/02/2023 10:34
RE: Manchester bus franchising - 1466 - 29/06/2023, 20:56
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 04/09/2023, 19:13
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 15/01/2024, 18:17
RE: Manchester bus franchising - SF07 - 30/01/2024, 19:12

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)