Current time: 18/04/2024, 09:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester bus franchising
RE: Manchester bus franchising
Things have got a lot worse over the past four years. This article does not directly relate to Manchester but it does explain why other parts of the UK are moving towards a franchising model. The response by a FirstBus representative: "We are not a public service; we are here to make a profit" is telling.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023...at-britain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(29/01/2023 17:14)knutstransport Wrote:  Tendered services should be awarded for areas where there's low bus usage but a small number of people need to make necessary journeys. If there's low car ownership then bus usage should be higher and it's less likely to need a subsidy.

Exactly. Yet they happily pay for bus to run round a upper class housing estate every hour carrying fresh air because two local councillors live there.
(29/01/2023 18:01)Barney Wrote:  Things have got a lot worse over the past four years. This article does not directly relate to Manchester but it does explain why other parts of the UK are moving towards a franchising model. The response by a FirstBus representative: "We are not a public service; we are here to make a profit" is telling.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023...at-britain

I agree in some areas things are dire but in Manchester I think we’ve never really had it so good. Things will only get worse, and it’s going to end up being propped up by tax payers when at the moment 80% of the network is completely subsidy free.
(29/01/2023 10:21)Mayneway Wrote:  Yes with TFGM paying them to keep services going.

And? Lots of other operators do the same...

They are commercial services at the end of the day, DBNW can do as they see fit as regards withdrawals & frequency reductions to reduce operating costs / increase profitability.
(29/01/2023 10:20)Mayneway Wrote:  They had a pot of money for some new vehicles but apparently TFGM were insistent they were hybrid or electric and not diesel, which is why they brought in cascaded London hybrids.

I don't see how TfGM had any say in what GNW procured for Queens Road (unless TfGM were contributing towards the funding or course...)

Rotala had no issues bringing in 124 new diesel powered Streetdecks
(30/01/2023 02:15)Winston Wrote:  I don't see how TfGM had any say in what GNW procured for Queens Road (unless TfGM were contributing towards the funding or course...)

Rotala had no issues bringing in 124 new diesel powered Streetdecks

Are the streetdecks not ‘micro hybrids’ as implied on the back of each bus??

I presume the purchase of new buses would have an impact on any franchise bids. I found the comment quite bizzare myself but that’s what I was told.
(30/01/2023 02:05)Winston Wrote:  And? Lots of other operators do the same...

They are commercial services at the end of the day, DBNW can do as they see fit as regards withdrawals & frequency reductions to reduce operating costs / increase profitability.

Haven’t said they can’t but all their silly protest does is play into the hands of the franchise supporters.
(30/01/2023 10:33)Mayneway Wrote:  Are the streetdecks not ‘micro hybrids’ as implied on the back of each bus??

I presume the purchase of new buses would have an impact on any franchise bids. I found the comment quite bizzare myself but that’s what I was told.

Yes, the Streetdecks are Micro Hybrids as standard, same as the Streetlites Rotala bought for Diamond WM. I'm not aware of TfGM imposing any restrictions on operators to dictate what they can/cannot buy for their commercial operations. At the time of the Rotala Streetdeck order, the was not guarantee that franchising would even go ahead.

GNW have only brought in refurbished used buses from around Group for Queens Road. I wouldn't be surprised, if they're intending to make up the vehicle numbers at Bolton & Wigan with more of the same.
(30/01/2023 10:36)Mayneway Wrote:  Haven’t said they can’t but all their silly protest does is play into the hands of the franchise supporters.

You're assuming these are protests, what's the point in protesting now when the decision has already been made? Rotala would just be cutting their nose off...

Rotala have chosen to withdraw the 163 in the hope that GNW may take it on earlier than Sept, thus freeing up the Streetdecks to transfer to Diamond WM by 1/5/23, Rotala can't wait until the operation transfers to GNW in Sept. They need circa 40+ extra Euro 6 buses going in to Diamond WM during April. TfGM's Franchising Director understands why Rotala have made the decisions they have, and negotiations are on-going between TfGM / Rotata & Go North West.

Most of the other frequency reductions would have likely happened for summer timetable reductions anyway, they'll just be a couple of months earlier.
The story now being Run by Manchester evening news. Now the campaign is pointless if DNW don't want to run the route and has little to lose by just not engaging. They can just move there ulez buses to midlands.

Now it case of finding some firm who does want to run the service.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...ts-wrapper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)