Current time: 25/11/2020, 19:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Go North West
RE: Go North West
(12/09/2020 11:50)Mayneway Wrote:  How do you know??
Have you compared the contract to those at Diamond or Stagecoach??

Yes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/09/2020 11:16)Wirralbust Wrote:  Yes

So it’s perfectly acceptable to be paying drivers to manually change blinds when they haven’t been used for years?? I think not
What I can see is there getting customers more than some smaller firms their single fares are not cheap. So, what eating at the funds? Does the free city bus make them money? if so, move it out from Queen's road to a low-cost yard and as flixbus. is trying to get going talk to them about taken on routes for them from Manchester they have coaches that going to go north east from oxford so the coaches in Newcastle can come south for that. is there pay too high? is there too many depot or office staff? is there too many sickness if so get new systems in place to remove staff who are sick too often. get more private work. if drivers are paid to do silly jobs find them new silly jobs to replace the ones. but i can tell you what is stilly drivers go back to queen road for breaks get a booking on point maybe open a office in town so drivers can cash up in town and start in town.
(16/09/2020 11:16)Wirralbust Wrote:  Yes

Any chance you could elaborate?

Presumably your saying that either diamond / stagecoach are still being paid to do the duties GNW want to remove; or that diamond / stagecoach pay a comparable rate without those duties in place?
(16/09/2020 16:04)djb Wrote:  Any chance you could elaborate?

Presumably your saying that either diamond / stagecoach are still being paid to do the duties GNW want to remove; or that diamond / stagecoach pay a comparable rate without those duties in place?

Diamonds (Bolton depot) older ex First drivers were on similar contracts/conditions as the drivers at GNW, management put forward a new set of terms and conditions in August and apparently it was voted in so I’d be interested in knowing more. As for Stagecoach, I very much doubt they would have anything like these outdated conditions.
(16/09/2020 16:04)djb Wrote:  Any chance you could elaborate?

Every company has spare drivers. Some places do spares though where you do half a day on a known duty then you are spare the rest of the day. There are of course some companies which do full spare duties and you go out when needed.

(16/09/2020 16:04)Mrboo Wrote:  What I can see is there getting customers more than some smaller firms their single fares are not cheap. So, what eating at the funds? Does the free city bus make them money? if so, move it out from Queen's road to a low-cost yard and as flixbus. is trying to get going talk to them about taken on routes for them from Manchester they have coaches that going to go north east from oxford so the coaches in Newcastle can come south for that. is there pay too high? is there too many depot or office staff? is there too many sickness if so get new systems in place to remove staff who are sick too often. get more private work. if drivers are paid to do silly jobs find them new silly jobs to replace the ones. but i can tell you what is stilly drivers go back to queen road for breaks get a booking on point maybe open a office in town so drivers can cash up in town and start in town.
I think it's a combination of so many things making it unviable and simply doing 1 thing won't make a change. I'd argue all the routes make money and when the wheels are turning, that bus is in profit else surely they wouldn't run them. What seems to put it in losses is any costs when the bus wheels aren't turning IE drivers on spare, conditions (like winding rollerblinds) and the depot/land costs.

More work means more drivers and then they have a worse issue with the unions and I can't imagine Flixbus or any coach operator being too happy by the driver saying 'I'm late, I am cutting the trip early so I can get home on time'.

Why should GNW find new silly jobs for drivers. 99% of other companies don't have them in place and if they want to be competitive on tenders or franchising, they need to be on a level playing field.

When you say about drivers going back to Queens Road for a new booking on point after their break, is that a First trait as i'm sure 'That Yorkshire Bus Driver' did something like that on Youtube (basically you don't know what your 2nd half is, you have to go to the depot to get the details for your 2nd part). Can't you just go down the same route as 95% of other companies and have set duties. Ie, you drive bus duty 1032 from 5am-10am then you drive bus duty 6943 from 11am-2pm. No need to return to the depot unless that is where your break is or where your next part starts.
Opening offices is not cheap to do. They could see if TFGM would allow some of the equipment in the bus station staff rooms if they want to keep the current system.
(17/09/2020 07:46)iMarkeh Wrote:  When you say about drivers going back to Queens Road for a new booking on point after their break, is that a First trait as i'm sure 'That Yorkshire Bus Driver' did something like that on Youtube (basically you don't know what your 2nd half is, you have to go to the depot to get the details for your 2nd part). Can't you just go down the same route as 95% of other companies and have set duties. Ie, you drive bus duty 1032 from 5am-10am then you drive bus duty 6943 from 11am-2pm. No need to return to the depot unless that is where your break is or where your next part starts.
Opening offices is not cheap to do. They could see if TFGM would allow some of the equipment in the bus station staff rooms if they want to keep the current system.
I know in Bristol drivers may start their duty at Hengrove. but get taken off at the Bus Staiton. and would mean they would have to get a bus to pick up their car. but it takes about 30 mins on the bus so think of the money they save.
(17/09/2020 07:46)iMarkeh Wrote:  Every company has spare drivers. Some places do spares though where you do half a day on a known duty then you are spare the rest of the day. There are of course some companies which do full spare duties and you go out when needed.

I think it's a combination of so many things making it unviable and simply doing 1 thing won't make a change. I'd argue all the routes make money and when the wheels are turning, that bus is in profit else surely they wouldn't run them. What seems to put it in losses is any costs when the bus wheels aren't turning IE drivers on spare, conditions (like winding rollerblinds) and the depot/land costs.

More work means more drivers and then they have a worse issue with the unions and I can't imagine Flixbus or any coach operator being too happy by the driver saying 'I'm late, I am cutting the trip early so I can get home on time'.

Why should GNW find new silly jobs for drivers. 99% of other companies don't have them in place and if they want to be competitive on tenders or franchising, they need to be on a level playing field.

When you say about drivers going back to Queens Road for a new booking on point after their break, is that a First trait as i'm sure 'That Yorkshire Bus Driver' did something like that on Youtube (basically you don't know what your 2nd half is, you have to go to the depot to get the details for your 2nd part). Can't you just go down the same route as 95% of other companies and have set duties. Ie, you drive bus duty 1032 from 5am-10am then you drive bus duty 6943 from 11am-2pm. No need to return to the depot unless that is where your break is or where your next part starts.

One of the problems in the Manchester area is that some of the city centre terminals lack even basic facilities such as toilets, never mind somewhere for staff to sit down and eat a meal (or sandwiches) . And even at Piccdilly "Gardens", whilst there is a TFGM office, there is no space to park buses for the duration of a meal break.
(17/09/2020 21:10)Bevan Price Wrote:  One of the problems in the Manchester area is that some of the city centre terminals lack even basic facilities such as toilets, never mind somewhere for staff to sit down and eat a meal (or sandwiches) . And even at Piccdilly "Gardens", whilst there is a TFGM office, there is no space to park buses for the duration of a meal break.
Back in mid 90s they made the plan to remove Piccadilly bus station and to limit times at bus stands as they wanted buses to drop off and leave city centre so they did not want buses on layover. So, I don't get how companies time their services to have layover. now I worked doing running London Underground Replacement buses and used to deal with change over at baker st was a mission when there were traffic issues with drivers dumping buses. So, I know what it like I had times I had 20 buses and just 5 stands. and having TFL network officers having a go at me for allowing the buses block bus stops. but I was like you tell drivers they cant have their break. and they could not park any place the next driver could find there bus.
(17/09/2020 19:43)Mrboo Wrote:  I know in Bristol drivers may start their duty at Hengrove. but get taken off at the Bus Staiton. and would mean they would have to get a bus to pick up their car. but it takes about 30 mins on the bus so think of the money they save.
If you finish your shift, you of course need to get back to the depot. Regardless of where a depot is, drivers kind of need to start and end shifts at the depot and use shuttles. The people who could make use of signing on and off in the depot are those who are never scheduled to take a bus out or take one back (no good parking in town if you start at midday if you then have to take a bus back and somehow get back into town to pick up your car).

What I was saying was on your dedicated meal break, you shouldnt have to return to the depot and should be able to stay in town if you want (some drivers do basic shopping, nip for food or meet up with friends or family while on their break). The issue with doing that now it seems is that drivers only get given details for their first half when they sign on and they have to return to the depot to det details of that second half. This practise costs a lot of money so by having a machine in the city so drivers can collect details for their 2nd half, that would make a huge difference. You don't need a full office though for that.

(17/09/2020 21:10)Bevan Price Wrote:  One of the problems in the Manchester area is that some of the city centre terminals lack even basic facilities such as toilets, never mind somewhere for staff to sit down and eat a meal (or sandwiches) . And even at Piccdilly "Gardens", whilst there is a TFGM office, there is no space to park buses for the duration of a meal break.
I know Picc Gardens and those type of terminus have nothing but does Shudehill bus station not have a driver room?

User(s) browsing this thread: acocker96, joe_alker, Mcr531, 3 Guest(s)