Current time: 02/05/2024, 05:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool City Centre Traffic Issues
RE: Liverpool City Centre Traffic Issues
(15/10/2018 23:05)buses7675 Wrote:  I think due to traffic issues that would be almost unworkable at Queen Square Bus Station - at rush hour almost nothing would end up going into it! Because it isn't a starting bus station for a lot of routes, you can leave Liverpool ONE/Lord Street/Victoria Street/Mann Island etc on time but end up still over 5 late by Queen Square Bus Station - same going inbound so until there were decent bus priority measures in place I don't think that would work sadly.

There is a subway (now closed but it is probably still there!) under Lime Street from the station to St Johns Shopping Centre! When the area used to be Hood Street Gyratory (I am just about old enough to remember, just) there were bridges too to get you from one side to the other and as mentioned previously much wider roads and less traffic in the area in the first place.
It would encourage better timetabling through the city centre and possibly encourage companies to use some slightly more direct variations to avoid Queen Square (Just as an example, not saying it would be done but as an example, route 79 could run every other bus straight up St Johns Lane and the other bus could start at Victoria Street and run via Queen Square to minimise the risk of delays.
Bus priority is a must. Regardless of any other plans, Bus priority is a MUST.

I am shocked to hear about the subway. I wonder why that isn't open again now. It could help remove quite a few people from the crossings. I would say a bridge over Queen Square would be good but I think it would cost too much and you have too many idiots who would jump off the bridge. If it was done, you would still need the crossing but have staff watch it and only have it for buggys and wheelchairs etc. During non staff hours, close the bridge and have the crossing run as normal. It is complex but it moves people off the crossing allowing buses to flow better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Liverpool City Centre Traffic Issues - iMarkeh - 15/10/2018 23:31

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)