Current time: 20/04/2024, 11:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bus-Related Outings & Reviews
RE: Bus-Related Outings & Reviews
(15/06/2012 22:58)27701 Wrote:  Tomorrow, I'm heading out to do a bit of shopping and to look for ANW's long-lost Pulsar 2 - MX59 FFW (3018)! Big Grin
I did venture out today to go shopping and ride on a few services that I don't usually ride on! Here's what I did:

52 (ANW) - Netherton, Glovers Lane > Queen Square Bus Station
Pulsar CX58 FZA (2920)
I was disappointed when I seen this bus operating my first journey of the day, however it wasn't too bad today! Rattles weren't as violent as when I last rode on it and the gearbox "hum" enhanced the ride nicely! There were quite a few rattles on-board, however the decent driver (no kickdown though) made up for that!

(Shopping...)

345 (ANW) - Liverpool, Sir Thomas Street > Walton, Walton Vale
Marshall V675 DVU (7675)
I was planning on going home before I seen this bus, of which I've been intrigued to ride on for a while now! What a disappointing bus! The engine didn't sound very good and the bus was very sluggish off the line! Rattles were Marshall-standard!

102 (HTL Buses) - Walton, Longmoor Lane > Aintree University Hospital (Broadway)
Solo YJ11 EKP (79)
This bus' ride-quality wasn't too bad, although I wasn't on it for very long. Whilst I was on it, however, the gearbox jerked violently when the was going off the line! It was worrying for a bus of ONE year old...

159 (HTL Buses) - Aintree University Hospital (Broadway) > Bootle Strand Shopping Centre
Solo YJ12 GXP (22)
This bus was a welcome sight - another example that I've been intrigued to ride on for a while! The ride-quality wasn't great for a bus of not even six months old! It seemed to be quick off the line though.

54 (ANW) - Bootle Strand Shopping Centre > Crosby, Islington
Cadet DK55 FXD (2519)
As what seems to be the up-to-date story of this service, my journey was running about 10 minutes late when it arrived at my stop! I was happy to see my favourite Cadet out of Bootle's four. Its gearbox was dodgy - when it was going off the line, there was a constant pause, along with a worryingly-extraordinary engine noise in that pause! The bus was quick though, which created a nice ride!

62 (ANW) - Crosby, Islington > Bootle Strand Shopping Centre
Pulsar CX58 FZF (2924)
As I was in a rush to try and catch sister-bus CX58 FZL (2929) on the 58 from Bootle, I decided to board this bus. The ride was fine, although there were some horrible rattles! The driver was quick - one instance of kickdown! :P

52 (ANW) - Bootle Strand Shopping Centre > Netherton, Glovers Lane
Pulsar CX58 FZK (2928)
After missing 2929, I decided to chase something else that I'd seen instead! Unfortunately, as I was in a bit of a rush, I had to board this terrible bus - not something I'd do if I wasn't in a rush! The bus was just awful - in-fact, it was in the famous "slow mode", which just topped it off as its status of Bootle's worst Pulsar (by far!). It was VERY slow off the line! There was a deafening noise after gear one, and it increased in volume up to gear three, after which the engine couldn't be heard at all! Scrap it...

(I nipped home to put my shopping in...)

55 (ANW) - Netherton, Northern Perimeter Road > Queen Square Bus Station
Pulsar 2 MX59 FFW (3018)
I was glad that this turned up, as expected - although the livery wasn't exciting (see the "Arriva North West - Bootle Depot" thread for more information on that)... The engine was fantastic, as it used to be! The ride-quality of the bus was fantastic - no rattles at all on the worst roads en-route! It's nice to have a decent bus back on the road again, although whether it's still my stalker or not is yet to be discovered (it felt like it wasn't today!)...

52A (ANW) - Liverpool, Sir Thomas Street > Netherton, Glovers Lane
Pulsar MX09 LYG (2945)
As a familiar driver was at the wheel, and as it was an 09-plated example, I decided to board it... I stood up for most of my journey because there weren't any seats - one reason why I hate this service! Rattles were bad. The bus kept kicking down badly - in the violent way. The caring driver kept putting it off (shaking his head and sighing when he was doing so - that's how repetitive it was!) as it would have caused murder with the standing scene on-board! Overall, not a bad ride!

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Tommorow depending on weather think I be going Rhyl
Find all posts by this user
my blog about my system one day out on saturday

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(16/06/2012 19:41)27701 Wrote:  55 (ANW) - Netherton, Northern Perimeter Road > Queen Square Bus Station
Pulsar 2 MX59 FFW (3018)
I was glad that this turned up, as expected - although the livery wasn't exciting (see the "Arriva North West - Bootle Depot" thread for more information on that)... The engine was fantastic, as it used to be! The ride-quality of the bus was fantastic - no rattles at all on the worst roads en-route! It's nice to have a decent bus back on the road again, although whether it's still my stalker or not is yet to be discovered (it felt like it wasn't today!)...
Well, it's back to being my stalker at the moment! I've seen it every day since I rode on it - on the 52/52A! It didn't sound very good today though... Confused

I've just finished a Science exam in school, so while I have the money and the weather is decent, I'll be out and about in Liverpool and Birkenhead this afternoon! Reviws to come tonight Smile
I ended up here there and everywhere today, below are the reviews!

Started the day by getting a train to LSP, a Stagecoach Dart (55) on the 86H to Calderstones then an 86C (Another 55 Dart) from just up the road into Liverpool ONE. I'll not bother writing about the Darts as they were rattly, slow, scruffy and just generally crap!

Arriva North West 7617 T617 PNC
Service 82A from Liverpool ONE to Liverpool JLA
I seen this on my way into school for an exam this morning. Due to the wonders of mobile technology, I was able to work out when it was next in Liverpool, and for once my logic was spot on (12:36 journey from L1, all be it running over 5 mins late, despite arriving in town early!). Needless to say it was no different to any other time I've rode it, absolutely brilliant! Very few rattles, the occasional few came courtesy of Liverpool's diabolical road surfaces, but other than that there weren't the rattles I've become accustomed to with most Marshalls! The engine as usual was flawless, powering it along quite nicely along Speke Boulevard, and sounding brilliant! Be sad to see this go when Runcorn no longer need it!

Arriva North West 6006 BX04 MXC
Service 500 from Liverpool JLA to Liverpool ONE
Shortly before departing on my previous journey from L1, I noticed 2470 working the 500. Therefore it fell right into place that I should get 7617 to the Airport in plenty of time to get 2470 for the 500. And I did! Much to my annoyance however, 2470 was booked off and replaced by a bendy (At least I got a picture of the former working the 500!).
However I haven't rode a bendy in a while, so it was a nice chance to do so! What a brilliant bus 6006 is as well! The engine sounded exceptionally well, revving very high at some points! There wasn't 1 rattle to be heard, which I've found is unusual for this type nowadays! All in all a pleasant journey!

Lunch stop at L1 while surveying numerous Arriva and Merseytravel staff walk behind 7557, lift up the bonnet, and put it back down, shaking their heads!
Followed by a short ride on another Stagecoach Dart to Great Charlotte Street to go to the shop! Yes I was too lazy to walk before anyone says :P

Arriva North West 4097 S277 JUA
Service 407 from Sir Thomas Street to Birkenhead Bus Station
The plan was to stay around in Liverpool for a few hours then go to Birkenhead, however seeing something/someone changed my mind :P
I usually despise DLAs, but it was the first thing that came and I was curious to see how diabolical this one was. To be fair, it wasn't three bad! A little slow off the mark, but once it got going it was rather swift, sounded good as well. Rattles were non-existent, but the interior left a lot to be desired with 3 different moquettes!

Arriva North West 2479 X782 NWX
Service 495 from Birkenhead Bus Station to Birkenhead, Borough Road
Just as I got off 4097, this pulled up, happy days! The plan was to just ride it to Beechwood, but I liked it that much I stayed on for a full circular :P
The refreshed interior looks brilliant, the seat backs have been painted, all similar plastics painted, credit to Bootle! Just a shame it wasn't retrimmed in it's original moquette, would have made it look spot on then, but enthusiasts cant be choosers and all that (Doesnt have the same ring as 'beggars cant be choosers' does it?)
I love the engine on this particular Cadet over all the others, it sounds so much throatier, and sounds as if it has much more 'oomph' (To use the technical term) than other DAF Cadets.
Overall it was a brilliant ride, very few rattles, excellent engine with a thrashy driver who wasn't afraid to floor it when he could!

Arriva North West 7642 V642 DVU
Service 410 from Birkenhead Bus Station to New Brighton
Once again things just fell into place! Literally just as I was about to board a First Floline to Liverpool, I see this coming down the road. I couldn't resist a ride on a 'withdrawn bus' :P
As usual it was a great ride, few rattles, but a worn interior in need of refurb! Engine was as good as ever, just a shame the driver didn't floor it that much (He was a nice guy though, so I wasnt too bothered!!)

Arriva North West 4406 CX58 FZT
Service 432 from New Brighton to Liverpool, Whitechapel.
My favourite Enviro, but my god its not as good as it used to be! Terribly rattly downstairs, with the seats lacking padding! Decent-ish engine, but nowhere near the bus it once was!

Halton Transport 21 X967 ULG
Service 14 from Queen Square to Belle Vale
Not been on one of this batch for a while so I couldn't resist a ride! Somewhat of a disappointment to be honest. No rattles what so ever, and the interior and exterior looked pretty good, but it was really slow (DLA slow) when pulling off in traffic, and going uphill. When going downhill, or out of traffic, it was fine, but otherwise it was disappointing!

Cumfybus VX51 RBF
Service 193 from Belle Vale to Huyton Bus Station
Shed! Rattly, untidy inside and incredibly slow, even the driver was shaking his head over how incredibly slow it was. Engine sounded poorly, and the gear changes were very jerky.

Arriva North West 2721 Y721 KNF
Service 7 from Huyton Bus Station
I'd been advised by a friend to give this a try, so I was happy to see it laying over in Huyton upon my arrival. Overall it was a great ride, lovely sounding engine and gearbox (Proper ZF in there!), although I will concede the interior was in desperate need of refurb. However on the plus side there was no rattles, and the driver floored it at certain parts, which got a good ZF whine going!
Much to my dismay, it was booked off for...

Arriva North West 2994 MX59 FHB
Service 7 from Edge Lane Retail Park to Kensington Police Station
Not bad for a Pulsar! A bit rattly but it actually revved pretty high like a proper bus! One of the better Pulsars I have been on!

Halton Transport 31 DA02 PUY
Service 14 from Kensington to Hough Green
This pulled up just as I got to the stop after alighting 2994. I was hoping for one of these home so I was rather happy when it pulled up! An exceptional bus and one of the best in Haltons fleet dare I say! There wasn't 1 single rattle to be heard, rare for a Marshall! The engine was brilliant, and with a great gearbox as well, it made for a fantastic thrash through Tarbock. Perfect way to end a great day!

HTIOI :P
A very enjoyable read K853 - thanks for posting Smile
As this thread is for Reviews as well, I thought i would post my reviews on the buses i have travelled on to/from school this week:

3348 R348 AEY - Volvo Olympian/Palatine
37 0744 Winsford Town - Middlewich, St Micheals Way 0759 - Monday 18/06/12
I Like this olympian, Got a good, Whiney, r engine!, This bus has a few rattles, But nothing much!

I Had this bus back to Winsford Town on the 1557 from Middlewich

3360 P943 MKL - Volvo Olympian/Palatine Monday 18/06/12
29 1618 Winsford Town - Grange Estate 1624
Killer! Horrible bus!, Imn starting to like just because of how horrible it is! Terribel engine sounds and terrible rattles!

TUESDAY 19/06/12
3329 R329 WVR - Volvo Olympian/Palatine II
37 0744 Winsford Town - Middlewich 0759
OK Bus, Got a good loud engine, And not too many rattles! The one thing i dont like about these is the seats at the rear of the back!

I Didnt get this back As i had detention And some work to do Smile
3330 R330 WVR
37 1623 Middlewich - Winsfor Town 1641
The rattley example!, But still has a really strong engine, and very comfetable!

WEDNESDAY
3348 R238 AEY - Volvo Olympian/Palatine
37 0744 Winsford Town - Middlewich 0759
Same as above Smile

I Was at the end of Middlewich town, And not the end i wanted to be, And it was raining so:

4040 S240 JUA - DAF/ALX400
37 1538 Middlewich, Micheals Way - Middlewich, Lewin Street 1540
Short ride!, Still My fave example!, Still no rattles with a good engine!

then 3348 back

3349 R239 AEY - Volvo Olympian/Palatine
29 1618 Winsford town - Grange 1624
My Fave example! A Very strong engine, Very good for R Reg! With hardley any rattles!

THURSDAY

I Went the later way today:

2614 CX56 CEN - VDL/Centro
29 Grange Estate 0809 - Winsford Town 0819
Turbo leak! But behind that, A Really good engine, With hardley any rattles!

3349 R239 AEY - Volvo Olympian/Palatine
37 Winsford, Dingle Lane 0822 - Middlewich - 0846
Same as above Smile

3360 P943 MKL - Volvo Olympian/Palatine
37 Middlewich 1557 - Winsford 1612
Same as above Smile NB: Buses Middle Number Blind Removed!

3331 R331 WVR - Volvo Olympan/Palatine II
29 Winsford Town 1618 - Grange 1624
Hmmmm...Intresting to see a Palatine II On this duty!, Still a very strong, Nice one!, With Hardley any rattles! Very good to see it!
I have had a few Intresting trips this week all I enjoyed.

RHYL TRIP - 12/06/12
0610 - 411 New Brighton to Birkenhead - 2449 - X449 HJA - 0630
Nice cadet very smooth and clean
0650 - 401 Birkenhead to Chester - 3000 - MX59 AAF - 0750
Rather boring bus
0824 - 11/11G Chester to Rhyl - 4481 - CX61 CDN - 1030
Nice bus only let down was Wi-Fi was not working
1057 - 1 Rhyl to Rhyl via Pensarn - 3997 - D171 FYM - 1150
Nice bus ashame it's got a automatic gear box
PICTURE AND DINNER BREAK
1325 - 1 Rhyl to Rhyl via Talacre - 3995 - G35 HXY - 1450
First ride on this did not like it rather the Olympians
1500 - 35 Rhyl to Prestatyn - 922 - LF02 PTZ - 1520
First ride on a PDL nice smooth ride
1533 - 1 Prestatyn to Rhyl - 3998 - C212 GTU - 1550
Love this bus nothing wrong with it
1645 - 11M/11 Rhyl to Chester - 2655 - CX07 CUJ - 1845
Was not impressed when this turned up slow and struggled on hills
1850 - 401 Chester to Liverpool - 4143 - S283 JUA - 1950
Big surpriced but for a DLA it was fast
2018 - 423 Liverpool to Liscard - 3001 - MX59 AAJ - 2120
Was nice ride for a pulsar
2130 - 410 Liscard to New Brighton - 2345 - V575 DJC - 2140
Was happy to see this great bus all round

RHYL -18/06/12
0610 - 411 New Brighton to Birkenhead - 2447 - X447 HJA - 0630
Nice cadet better than my last ride on it
0650 - 401 Birkenhead to Chester - 3008 - MX58 AAY - 0750
Was just a standard pulsar not a fan of them
0800 - 11/11M Chester to Rhyl - 4481 - CX61 CDN - 1000
Wi-Fi had been fixed
1023 - 1 Rhyl to Rhyl via Talacre - 3987 - E227 WBG - 1157
Great ex Merseybus Olympian well with a ride
1223 - 1 Rhyl to Rhyl via Talacre - 3999 - D242 FYM - 1350
Not a fan of the automatic gearbox with the gardner engine
1353 - 1 Rhyl to Rhyl via Talacre and Pensarn - 3998 - C212 GTU - 1623
Beast did full run both ways to get some pics love the Gardner engine
1645 - 11M/11 Rhyl to Chester - 4485 - CX61 CDO - 1845
Another nice Gemini
1850 - 401 Chester to Liverpool - 3008 - MX58 AAY - 1950
Same as outbound in morning
2015 - 432 Liverpool to New Brighton - 4420 - CX58 GBE - 2040
Underpowered and cold like most of batch

NORTH WALES HALF DAY 19/06/12
0530 - 208 New Brighton to Birkenhead - 2521 - KU52 YLE - 0630
Was hoping for S364 ONL but you can't get everything
0650 - 401 Birkrnhead to Chester - 3008 - MX59 AAY - 0750
Think this bus is stalking me seem to have it a lot recently
0810 - 1 Chester to Wrexham - 2299 - R419 COO - 0910
Great bus better than a DLA or Pulsar
BREAK PICS
1045 - 26 Wrexham to Mold - 848 - Y548 UJC - 1131
Beast fast and smooth
1200 - X44 Mold to Broughton - 999 - CX11 EVH - 1224
Not a fan of the Versa but these are great
BREAK FOR PICS AND LOOK AROUND
1417 - 811 Broughton to Birkenhead - X181 NWR - 1528
Now has better seats love these older solos
1542 - 411 Birkenhead to New Brighton - 2409 - V409 ENC - 1604
Wanted 7633 but must have been swaped somewhere in the day

Hope you all enjoyed the read of this
Today, I'm going out with my friend. Where we're planning on going, however, remains a mystery - we usually agree on a place when we meet up. (If we go by one of his usual plans, it'll either be to Runcorn on the X1 or to Southport...! I don't really like going to the same places over and over again, however I think that he finds my plans boring! Rolleyes )

So far, since the 29th May (my birthday)...
- I've spent a total of £40.70 on (child!) bus fares.
- the best bus that I've rode on is ANW's Pulsar 2 MX59 FFW (3018); the best train that I've rode on is Northern Rail's 153331.
- the worst bus that I've rode on is ANW's Plaxton Pointer 2 X229 ANC (2229); the worst train that I've rode on is Merseyrail's 507031.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)