Current time: 18/04/2024, 05:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MP Travel
RE: MP Travel
(23/09/2021 20:05)Mayneway Wrote:  But a suggestion has been made elsewhere that at the end of the Arriva contract it was re-tendered and awarded to Warrington’s own buses, until you registered it commercially so the funding to WOB was dropped. Why would you take it on commercially then complain when it starts making a loss.

And please don’t shoot me for asking. I’m genuinely interested not trying to be negative.

No, valid question mister.

WoB never won a tender. The tender was never announced, WoB went to register commercially. As we had the passengers backing us up so to speak, wanting us to stay on the service, I thought, providing we get CBSSG, as for a small company like mine, its a big gamble, we will take it on.

The main problem for us when came to CBSSG finishing is, the BRG was relying on pre-covid data, which as the service was not ours back then we had none, and Arriva certainly wouldn't provide it for us. The paperwork was never received, so we have been unsure what we would get in order to continue.

Then recently, we have had a few staff leave, some on sick, its just got to the point, where we have had quite a few issues on the route, its now costing me more money, I don't know what we are going to get, do I let this sink the company, or move on...

We reached out to certain authorities to ask for help, as we where not making any way with the DfT, and finally now we are getting some where.

It's not about making a profit, I have been more than happy running to meet its costs, but there is only so much loss you can take before taking a more aggressive action. Since announcing the service finishing, we have had so much support, not just from passengers, but MP's and the local authorities, and we are keen to still work with them and get this service back up to where it used to be before it was killed off.

Hope this helps...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/09/2021 20:21)mptravel Wrote:  No, valid question mister.

WoB never won a tender. The tender was never announced, WoB went to register commercially. As we had the passengers backing us up so to speak, wanting us to stay on the service, I thought, providing we get CBSSG, as for a small company like mine, its a big gamble, we will take it on.

The main problem for us when came to CBSSG finishing is, the BRG was relying on pre-covid data, which as the service was not ours back then we had none, and Arriva certainly wouldn't provide it for us. The paperwork was never received, so we have been unsure what we would get in order to continue.

Then recently, we have had a few staff leave, some on sick, its just got to the point, where we have had quite a few issues on the route, its now costing me more money, I don't know what we are going to get, do I let this sink the company, or move on...

We reached out to certain authorities to ask for help, as we where not making any way with the DfT, and finally now we are getting some where.

It's not about making a profit, I have been more than happy running to meet its costs, but there is only so much loss you can take before taking a more aggressive action. Since announcing the service finishing, we have had so much support, not just from passengers, but MP's and the local authorities, and we are keen to still work with them and get this service back up to where it used to be before it was killed off.

Hope this helps...

Arh so someone’s posted duff information on here about WOB winning a tender to run it. Glad you’ve clarified and it certainly makes things look a little differently.
Hopefully you can secure some good funding to keep it going.

Don’t take the negativity personally. At the end of the day your keeping people in jobs and putting food on their tables. That’s the main thing.

Thanks for clarifying.
Find all posts by this user
(21/09/2021 10:48)T42 PVM Wrote:  This is correct, when it then went out for Tender WOB Won it and registered the service on VOSA, MP Travel then registered a commercial X1 Service so the tender was withdrawn before it started

I have been Bus Spotting for over a Decade now and Anti Social Behavior (Buses getting bricked ect) was a problem in Runcorn back then.

Now confirmed by MP Travel that WOB didn’t win any tender they registered it commercially.
(23/09/2021 20:38)Mayneway Wrote:  Arh so someone’s posted duff information on here about WOB winning a tender to run it. Glad you’ve clarified and it certainly makes things look a little differently.
Hopefully you can secure some good funding to keep it going.

Don’t take the negativity personally. At the end of the day your keeping people in jobs and putting food on their tables. That’s the main thing.

Thanks for clarifying.

Cheers bud,

Apologies for the ranting, just been getting a bit of stick, yet nobodies been interested in the back ground of my decisions and always quick to be negative.

But again, we are working with the people who are meant to know whats going on so heres hoping as I do want this to be a success.
(23/09/2021 20:45)mptravel Wrote:  Cheers bud,

Apologies for the ranting, just been getting a bit of stick, yet nobodies been interested in the back ground of my decisions and always quick to be negative.

But again, we are working with the people who are meant to know whats going on so heres hoping as I do want this to be a success.

People are always critical but they only see half a story. I’m very critical of the company I work for but at the same time grateful to have a secure job when the sea is so rough (so to speak).
I’ll be honest it came across from comments on here that you’d possibly registered it commercially to stop WOB running it. Now you’ve clarified it never went to tender it makes things look very different - not that they could have made a better job of things.

Again appreciate your time ????
(23/09/2021 20:50)Mayneway Wrote:  People are always critical but they only see half a story. I’m very critical of the company I work for but at the same time grateful to have a secure job when the sea is so rough (so to speak).
I’ll be honest it came across from comments on here that you’d possibly registered it commercially to stop WOB running it. Now you’ve clarified it never went to tender it makes things look very different - not that they could have made a better job of things.

Again appreciate your time ????
Just to say, it did go out to tender. Its online. Not awarded perhaps but it did, 100% go out to tender. Look on The Chest tender site, it's on there.

Anything else I can't say but it did go out to tender.
(24/09/2021 08:39)iMarkeh Wrote:  Just to say, it did go out to tender. Its online. Not awarded perhaps but it did, 100% go out to tender. Look on The Chest tender site, it's on there.

Anything else I can't say but it did go out to tender.

I remember when GHA collapsed and Howards picked up the 289 at very short notice. I posted on here that the GHA contract was already due to expire, so I suggested it may be the case that Howards had already won the tender and were starting the new contract early. That got a response from Ian Howard on here saying Cheshire East had contacted him regarding running emergency contracts and he hadn't been aware the 289 was out to tender, so hadn't submitted any bid at that point. That was when they already were running the 48.

I wonder whether sometimes operators don't keep up with what every local authority has out to tender. For instance, to bid for every contracted route in Altrincham you'd need to bid for TfGM contracts, Cheshire East contracts and Warrington contracts. While Go Goodwins were very interested in the TfGM contracts for Altrincham, would they be keeping an eye on Cheshire East or Warrington council contracts, just in case the cross-boundary route goes out to tender?
This is the Warrington's Own Buses X1 registration:
https://www.vehicle-operator-licensing.s...ls/569053/

Crucially it says
"Supported by subsidies? No"

Also of note the TC received the WOB X1 registration before they received the MP Travel X1 amendment effective from 24th January. To me it sounds like WOB responded to the X1 cancellation announcement made by Arriva, without knowing what MP Travel were planning behind the scenes and then withdrew it on hearing what MP Travel were planning.
(24/09/2021 10:47)knutstransport Wrote:  I remember when GHA collapsed and Howards picked up the 289 at very short notice. I posted on here that the GHA contract was already due to expire, so I suggested it may be the case that Howards had already won the tender and were starting the new contract early. That got a response from Ian Howard on here saying Cheshire East had contacted him regarding running emergency contracts and he hadn't been aware the 289 was out to tender, so hadn't submitted any bid at that point. That was when they already were running the 48.

I wonder whether sometimes operators don't keep up with what every local authority has out to tender. For instance, to bid for every contracted route in Altrincham you'd need to bid for TfGM contracts, Cheshire East contracts and Warrington contracts. While Go Goodwins were very interested in the TfGM contracts for Altrincham, would they be keeping an eye on Cheshire East or Warrington council contracts, just in case the cross-boundary route goes out to tender?

In the case of Goodwins I believe the answer is no with regards to non TFGM contracts. I believe Cheshire East were keen to get the 391/392 up all’s running again after MCT’s demise and contacted/chased many companies and encouraged them to bid for the work.

TFGM have a list of preferred operators who all get invited to bid on contracts.
(24/09/2021 10:47)knutstransport Wrote:  I remember when GHA collapsed and Howards picked up the 289 at very short notice. I posted on here that the GHA contract was already due to expire, so I suggested it may be the case that Howards had already won the tender and were starting the new contract early. That got a response from Ian Howard on here saying Cheshire East had contacted him regarding running emergency contracts and he hadn't been aware the 289 was out to tender, so hadn't submitted any bid at that point. That was when they already were running the 48.

Operators don't keep track, I get a list of when TfGM contracts come up, but a lot of us, unless looking for specific services that we are interested get blind sided with the amount of what I call spam emails from sites such as The Chest.

I get nearly every other day Chest emails about work but the work is in Cumbria. So they just get ignored.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)