Current time: 26/04/2024, 05:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cheshire East proposed funding cuts
RE: Cheshire East proposed funding cuts
Royal London in Wilmslow are promising improved bus links as part as an expansion program. No indication, as yet, as to what that means: http://www.wilmslowguardian.co.uk/news/1...transport/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(18/06/2017 12:34)knutstransport Wrote:  Royal London in Wilmslow are promising improved bus links as part as an expansion program. No indication, as yet, as to what that means: http://www.wilmslowguardian.co.uk/news/1...transport/

In light of the recent political chaos at Westminster, I think that I can safely say that bus services in Northern Ireland - which were never deregulated or privatised - are financially secure for the foreseeable future. If only the same thing could be said for rural England.
Consultation events on the proposed bus cuts (Poynton and Middlewich have already happened)

Nantwich 19 June 2-7pm Nantwich Civic Hall, Market St, CW5 5DG
Congleton 20 June 2-7pm Congleton Town Hall, 7 High Street, CW12 1BN
Sandbach 21 June 2-7pm Town Hall, High Street, CW11 1AX
Macclesfield 22 June 2-7pm Macclesfield Town Hall, SK10 1EA
Alsager 26 June 2-7pm Wesley Place Methodist Church, Lawton Road, ST7 2RU
Knutsford 28 June 2-7pm Curzon Cinema, Toft Road, WA16 0PE
Handforth 29 June 2-7pm Honford Hall, South Acre Drive, SK9 3HN
Wilmslow 3 July 2-7pm Wilmslow Library, South Drive, Wilmslow, SK9 1NW
Crewe 4 July 2-7pm Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe, CW1 2BJ

If you're thinking of going make sure you look at the full timetables first: http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/counc...mation.pdf not just the summary document.
If anyone's a Tatton resident and wants to bring up the proposed cuts with their new MP: http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/..._Wilmslow/
Someone's claiming the 88 Altrincham-Wilmslow-Knutsford is to become a TfGM contract retaining it's current frequency. Has anyone heard anything regarding this?
(14/07/2017 09:11)knutstransport Wrote:  Someone's claiming the 88 Altrincham-Wilmslow-Knutsford is to become a TfGM contract retaining it's current frequency. Has anyone heard anything regarding this?

The only possible rationale I could see for this would be to avoid duplication between the 88 and 288 between Hale Barns and Altrincham. That would only be achieved if the 288 was withdrawn and the subsidy diverted to the 88 which would have to be re-routed to additionally serve the airport.

Interestingly, I see on the TfGM website that route 88 has a TfGM timetable leaflet. I'm sure previously it used to be an operator-produced or Cheshire East leaflet.
D&G do one booklet for all their Cheshire East routes and individual pdfs for their website. Presumably they've decided that is more cost effective then letting Cheshire East print leaflets.
(14/07/2017 19:48)Dentonian Wrote:  Er, I would very much doubt it. The vast majority of the route is in East Cheshire, and the bit that's in GM has very high car ownership and already has heavily subsidised routes.

TfGM do provide a subsidy for the 88 route currently but Cheshire East provide a higher subsidy and make the decision about who gets the contract. I think the Cheshire East section is around 2/3rd of the total route but the majority of the Altrincham-Wilmslow section is within TfGM area so if the route was to be split at Wilmslow it would make more sense for the Altrincham section to be a TfGM contract even if it's not re-routed to include stops currently only served by the 288 or 200 services. If was a TfGM contract and the 288 remained TfGM would be able to do something about inconsistent fares and lack of integrated ticketing between the 88 and 288 services within GM - it's currently cheaper to do Manchester Airport to Altrincham on the 288 than Hale Barnes to Altrincham on the 88! I also wonder if there would be more competition for the 88 route if TfGM put it out to tender.
(15/07/2017 06:25)knutstransport Wrote:  D&G do one booklet for all their Cheshire East routes and individual pdfs for their website. Presumably they've decided that is more cost effective then letting Cheshire East print leaflets.

It also includes High Peak services into Cheshire. Their Staffordshire booklet also includes Midland Classic and Select services.
The TFGM timetable makes no mention of any TFGM subsidy. It only states "Bus 88 is provided with the financial support of Cheshire East Council"

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)