Current time: 29/04/2024, 15:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Winsford Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Winsford Depot
(28/02/2023 06:31)M60lad Wrote:  In fact looking at what's proposed to be withdrawn it will surely leave Winsford without any bus services unless D&G plan on taking on any of the services over.

First thing to note is Arriva have council contracts, as well as running commercial services. The Sunday Northwich locals being one example, that D&G Bus had in the past. Unless there's a break clause in those contracts, wouldn't Arriva be obliged to continue running the service from another depot or to subcontract the service?

For the contracted services, does anyone know how many rival bids they were? That might give an idea of how much interest they'll be from other operators.

Also worth noting Arriva run school and college services in Cheshire.

A surprise option might be a local coach operator. Hollinshead took over the Congleton locals when GHA collapsed, while Holmeswood Coaches (who have experience of running local bus services) have a depot in Northwich.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(28/02/2023 07:18)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Presumably because if Arriva have declining passenger numbers and aren’t covering their overheads, D&G would be mad to do the same (without subsidy)

At one point the 84 had three* operators all attempting commercial operations on the route. It would be surprising if someone hadn't make an hourly 84 viable.

* Or four if you include D&G's 84 shorts.
Provisional date for closure is 22nd April "unless something changes drastically", according to a staff meeting with higher management last night.
(28/02/2023 11:15)L401CJF Wrote:  Provisional date for closure is 22nd April "unless something changes drastically", according to a staff meeting with higher management last night.

Sounds like they have made up their mind before even starting the Consultation

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(28/02/2023 11:29)T42 PVM Wrote:  Sounds like they have made up their mind before even starting the Consultation

Presumably the consultation relates to Arriva looking at options like the following:
1. Trying to get more council funding to keep the depot open.
2. Selling the depot to another operator.
3. Closing the depot and looking at options for staff and vehicles transferring to other operators.

In the case of option 3 I can envisage the Solos transferring to someone else but would another operator want a small fleet of deckers or Mellors? When D&G took on the 82 they decided to run one service just behind another on college days, to avoid the need for them to get a decker.
(28/02/2023 15:59)knutstransport Wrote:  Presumably the consultation relates to Arriva looking at options like the following:
1. Trying to get more council funding to keep the depot open.
2. Selling the depot to another operator.
3. Closing the depot and looking at options for staff and vehicles transferring to other operators.

In the case of option 3 I can envisage the Solos transferring to someone else but would another operator want a small fleet of deckers or Mellors? When D&G took on the 82 they decided to run one service just behind another on college days, to avoid the need for them to get a decker.

I can see High Peak getting the Macc routes at least

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWlqEkh...wHyRfm5C_A
Arriva are consolidating back to basically towards Merseyside , you can see it when they started closing depots down .

I wonder if the operations could be sold , its an area that will need some form of public transport.

I wonder whether this is shot across the bows of the councillors of both Cheshire councils .
(28/02/2023 16:34)Y458 KNF Wrote:  I can see High Peak getting the Macc routes at least

I'm not sure. Centrebus recently transferred the 19 from High Peak to D&G and D&G are operating it from Adderley Green!
(28/02/2023 16:34)Y458 KNF Wrote:  I can see High Peak getting the Macc routes at least

High Peak are still suffering from driver shortages (isn't everyone ?) and that's a big factor here.

It will be interesting to see if drivers at Macc and Winsford decide to jump ship before 22 April. That could lead to services being gradually wound down early by default.
(28/02/2023 07:18)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Presumably because if Arriva have declining passenger numbers and aren’t covering their overheads, D&G would be mad to do the same (without subsidy)

Plus Arriva Midlands are closing Oswestry depot with routes towards Wrexham moving to North West & Wales Wrexham depot and the commercial routes towards Shrewsbury transferred yo Shrewsbury depot with contacts been given up

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)