Current time: 26/04/2024, 23:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Christmas period Transport 2016
RE: Christmas period Transport 2016
(05/12/2016 16:06)Dentonian Wrote:  Yes, but would it cover the depot overheads? Turbostar also highlights another point. If the Retailers repeat what they have done in recent years, the shops will be open at 0600, so by the time bus users have stood waiting for a late running bus*, and got to the shops, most of the bargains in the sales are likely to have gone

Yes as St Helens deport is already open for services such as 10/10A and 89.

I'm not too sure what shops you are on about but usually that only applies to Next, very few retailers are open at 6am as the staff don't have transport options to get there. Most operate to Sunday hours (with an extended close).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(05/12/2016 14:56)Turbostar Wrote:  Notes that the X8 between Chester & Liverpool will be operating on Boxing Day this year;

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.ama...hester.pdf

I don't recall it working last year. Nice early start for some poor driver too at 07:20 from Chester!

That really is an interesting Boxing Day service. As for the early start, unlike NHS workers and the emergency services, I assume that drivers volunteer to work these days and, as not everyone regards Christmas Day as an excuse to get pie-eyed, there is at least one member of Chester depot prepared to do that duty on an enhanced rate of pay.
(05/12/2016 16:06)Dentonian Wrote:  Yes, but would it cover the depot overheads? Turbostar also highlights another point. If the Retailers repeat what they have done in recent years, the shops will be open at 0600, so by the time bus users have stood waiting for a late running bus*, and got to the shops, most of the bargains in the sales are likely to have gone

Well they would pick up more than the half of the 35 route which they operate and picks up hardly anything and if stagecoach are not running anything on boxing day then surely it would give them more of an advantage.
Im sure the shops on merseyside only open round about 10 am on boxing day.
As stated the depot is open anyway as they operate:
10A st helens - liverpool
31 st helens - parr
32 clinkham wood - sutton manor
34 st helens - newton station
35 st helens - gillars green
320 st helens - ashton.
(05/12/2016 19:55)Dentonian Wrote:  I'm pretty sure many stores in Manchester, as well as the Trafford Centre opened about 6 am last year. They don't care how their staff get there. They assume most have cars or would otherwise organise taxis and lifts.

8am to 8pm are the official opening hours.
(05/12/2016 20:14)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Well they would pick up more than the half of the 35 route which they operate and picks up hardly anything and if stagecoach are not running anything on boxing day then surely it would give them more of an advantage.
Im sure the shops on merseyside only open round about 10 am on boxing day.
As stated the depot is open anyway as they operate:
10A st helens - liverpool
31 st helens - parr
32 clinkham wood - sutton manor
34 st helens - newton station
35 st helens - gillars green
320 st helens - ashton.

And the 89 to Liverpool Airport Smile

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
What I don't understand with Arriva is that they can run the 35 on Boxing Day but not on Sunday daytimes as is the case with the 30/33 which ironically aren't running on Boxing Day. Surely the loadings would be similar.
(05/12/2016 19:55)Dentonian Wrote:  I'm pretty sure many stores in Manchester, as well as the Trafford Centre opened about 6 am last year. They don't care how their staff get there. They assume most have cars or would otherwise organise taxis and lifts.

Most of the stores in Manchester opened from around 8/9 onwards. I was working it and my own store didn't open till 11am for trading

The Trafford Centre opened earlier for the Next sale.
(05/12/2016 22:47)St Helens Rider Wrote:  What I don't understand with Arriva is that they can run the 35 on Boxing Day but not on Sunday daytimes as is the case with the 30/33 which ironically aren't running on Boxing Day. Surely the loadings would be similar.

It may be that they're expecting St Helens Junction to be busy on Boxing Day
The 35 does not go to the Junction on Boxing day

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(05/12/2016 23:13)RedPanda Wrote:  It may be that they're expecting St Helens Junction to be busy on Boxing Day

St Helens Junction won't be busy as there's no trains and as T42 PVM has stated, it's only doing Gillars Green - St Helens. The point I am making is that this is exactly the same section which is subsidised on Sundays but yet Arriva always seem to want to run it on Boxing Day

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)