Current time: 04/05/2024, 19:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseytravel - Sefton Bus Review
Merseytravel - Sefton Bus Review
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us/...eview.aspx

Now merseytravel have completed St Helens and Kirkby there onto the next area sefton for the bus review
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Merseytravel - Sefton Bus Review
(23/09/2016 07:50)E208 WBG Wrote:  http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us/...eview.aspx

Now merseytravel have completed St Helens and Kirkby there onto the next area sefton for the bus review

As with St Helens and Kirkby, this review is driven by a need to make savings from the tendered bus services costs. Personally, I can see one route which is heavily subsidised but will probably survive. The 206 (Crosby-Hightown) operates Mon-Sat through some of the most affluent areas of Sefton and, almost without exception, carries school children attending the three private schools in Crosby and pensioners living in Blundellsands. I suspect that there will be an attempt to withdraw the 206 but political pressure and grey power will resist this pressure and the savings will be made elsewhere, probably in Bootle or Netherton.
(23/09/2016 09:06)Barney Wrote:  As with St Helens and Kirkby, this review is driven by a need to make savings from the tendered bus services costs. Personally, I can see one route which is heavily subsidised but will probably survive. The 206 (Crosby-Hightown) operates Mon-Sat through some of the most affluent areas of Sefton and, almost without exception, carries school children attending the three private schools in Crosby and pensioners living in Blundellsands. I suspect that there will be an attempt to withdraw the 206 but political pressure and grey power will resist this pressure and the savings will be made elsewhere, probably in Bootle or Netherton.
One route I'm surprised survived the St Helens review was the 157 between Rainford and Ashton, at one end serving quite affluent areas. I thought it might have been reduced in frequency maybe but no change what so ever. The only 2 reasons possibly being the well off area as mentioned and because part of it is funded by TfGM at the Ashton end. When some Town routes and areas (some in quite poor areas) going busless, this route survived. I can see comparisons between the 157 and 206.
I assume Sefton includes Southport?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(23/09/2016 07:50)E208 WBG Wrote:  http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/about-us/...eview.aspx

Now Merseytravel have completed St Helens and Kirkby there on to the next area Sefton for the bus review

I see that in completing the survey, I can have the choice amongst other categories of being Irish Traveller or black Caribbean. What on earth is the relevance of this....
(23/09/2016 09:42)T42 PVM Wrote:  I assume Sefton includes Southport?

It does include Formby/Freshfield and Southport, much to the chagrin of the locals. The newly introduced Formby circulars are also part of the Review but, as far as I am aware, these F services are now commercially operated by Cumfybus.
(23/09/2016 09:14)St Helens Rider Wrote:  One route I'm surprised survived the St Helens review was the 157 between Rainford and Ashton, at one end serving quite affluent areas. I thought it might have been reduced in frequency maybe but no change what so ever. The only 2 reasons possibly being the well off area as mentioned and because part of it is funded by TfGM at the Ashton end. When some Town routes and areas (some in quite poor areas) going busless, this route survived. I can see comparisons between the 157 and 206.

The 157 Rainford - Ashton has been commercially operated by Cumfybus since April, a good 3 months before the St Helens network review.
(25/09/2016 22:39)darthblakey Wrote:  The 157 Rainford - Ashton has been commercially operated by Cumfybus since April, a good 3 months before the St Helens network review.

Apologies as I wasn't aware of this.
The Sefton bus review which was meant to be revealed today has been postponed and will not be implemented till April next year.

Wonder whats going on...?
(04/11/2016 13:02)roymcneil Wrote:  The Sefton bus review which was meant to be revealed today has been postponed and will not be implemented till April next year.

Wonder whats going on...?

I suspect that some of the more affluent and rural areas of Sefton stand to lose their supported services and the operators are refusing to run them at a loss. Thirty years ago, the then government accepted that certain bus services would need subsidies but in the current financial climate the money is just not available. Just look at what happened to Lancashire's supported services last year. Most of them were withdrawn when central government cut funding by £7 million.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)