Current time: 01/05/2024, 09:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

High Peak
RE: High Peak
(03/04/2019 20:21)knutstransport Wrote:  There's a rumour High Peak have won the 391/392 contract with Cheshire East preferring their approach of high fares with a risk of lower usage, than MCT's approach of low fares to attract extra passengers.

Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to rumours. MCT have today registered the 391/392 from end of April.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10/04/2019 00:06)Mayneway Wrote:  Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to rumours. MCT have today registered the 391/392 from end of April.

Yet people were saying MCT will be operating the service before bidding for the contract had ended, so one rumour was correct.
(10/04/2019 05:29)knutstransport Wrote:  Yet people were saying MCT will be operating the service before bidding for the contract had ended, so one rumour was correct.

If we are told at work to start learning a route, in this case the 391/2 I take that to mean we will be operating it from the near future I take that to mean we will be operating it.

Perhaps MCT were the only bidders??

Be interesting to see what gets used on it once it starts. I would have thought they would like to interwork it with other Stockport work but might be an issue because TFGM sheds, sorry hybrids, are often used and as the 391/2 isn't a TFGM contract I can't see them wanting them to be used.
(10/04/2019 00:06)Mayneway Wrote:  Just goes to show you shouldn't listen to rumours. MCT have today registered the 391/392 from end of April.

Registration shows it was received on 8th April and only approved today (11th April), so maybe your post was based on a rumour from a good source. Wink
(10/04/2019 10:38)Mayneway Wrote:  Perhaps MCT were the only bidders??

Unlikely. The tenders for routes crossing the Cheshire/GM border tend to be the most popular ones and can get quite a few bids. Some operators see the Cheshire contracts for services which run in to GM as a backdoor way of starting up bus operations in GM. Remember Chadderton based Swans running Northwich-Altrincham and Wilmslow-Manchester Airport or prior to that Selwyns running Wilmslow-Manchester Airport when the only other bus service they ran at the time was a Liverpool Airport one?

Even if MCT were the only bidder the council isn't obliged to give them the contract. The operator still has to satisfy the council that their bid scores enough cost & quality points and if there's no suitable bids the council could even approach operators asking if they want to run the route on a short term emergency tender.

Quote:Be interesting to see what gets used on it once it starts. I would have thought they would like to interwork it with other Stockport work but might be an issue because TFGM sheds, sorry hybrids, are often used and as the 391/2 isn't a TFGM contract I can't see them wanting them to be used.

The hybrids were funded by DfT's green bus scheme. Just looking at the DfT bids the MCT ones came under a TfGM bid, while Stagecoach Manchester and Bullocks ones were awarded directly to the operators. Although, it's worth remembering the MCT ones are now over 6 years old and the services they are used on aren't the ones they were originally acquired for, so do you know what the terms are between TfGM and MCT? The 13 reg Solos at D&G were acquired using Cheshire East funding but it seems D&G are now able to use them on Staffordshire services or the 288/737 in Greater Manchester
(11/04/2019 20:04)knutstransport Wrote:  Unlikely. The tenders for routes crossing the Cheshire/GM border tend to be the most popular ones and can get quite a few bids. Some operators see the Cheshire contracts for services which run in to GM as a backdoor way of starting up bus operations in GM. Remember Chadderton based Swans running Northwich-Altrincham and Wilmslow-Manchester Airport or prior to that Selwyns running Wilmslow-Manchester Airport when the only other bus service they ran at the time was a Liverpool Airport one?

Even if MCT were the only bidder the council isn't obliged to give them the contract. The operator still has to satisfy the council that their bid scores enough cost & quality points and if there's no suitable bids the council could even approach operators asking if they want to run the route on a short term emergency tender.

The hybrids were funded by DfT's green bus scheme. Just looking at the DfT bids the MCT ones came under a TfGM bid, while Stagecoach Manchester and Bullocks ones were awarded directly to the operators. Although, it's worth remembering the MCT ones are now over 6 years old and the services they are used on aren't the ones they were originally acquired for, so do you know what the terms are between TfGM and MCT? The 13 reg Solos at D&G were acquired using Cheshire East funding but it seems D&G are now able to use them on Staffordshire services or the 288/737 in Greater Manchester

The Green Hybrids (sheds) belong solely to TFGM and are loaned to MCT long term for use on TFGM tenders. Innitally they were awarded to specific tenders but I believe that's been relaxed now simply because they spend so much time off the road and the fact yet majority of other operators in GM refuse to have them as part of their fleet - and having driven them I can see why!

The white Solo's, and the 3 new electric optares coming very soon, were awarded directly to MCT so can be used as and where they want so I'd expect these to be predominately used on the 391/2.
Hopefully they'll do well with the 391/392.

MCT are a good pretty decent bus company who seem to have their heads nailed on straight. My only criticism of them is they don't seem to clean their buses very much. Saw a solo the other day on the 96 which was black with muck, plus the interiors need a good clean as a few don't smell too pleasant & there's black dust on the inside of windows. Not a good impression for customers.
(12/04/2019 07:23)33109 Wrote:  Hopefully they'll do well with the 391/392.

MCT are a good pretty decent bus company who seem to have their heads nailed on straight. My only criticism of them is they don't seem to clean their buses very much. Saw a solo the other day on the 96 which was black with muck, plus the interiors need a good clean as a few don't smell too pleasant & there's black dust on the inside of windows. Not a good impression for customers.

96 is operated by Rochdale depot which is basically a small muddy yard. I don't think there is any facilities there to wash them so they only get cleaned when they come back to Stockport.
I think we will start seeing changes at MCT in the next few months. There's already been some changes but HCT are starting to take an interest now and so hopefully they will open the cheque book and start spending Smile
(12/04/2019 11:29)Mayneway Wrote:  96 is operated by Rochdale depot which is basically a small muddy yard. I don't think there is any facilities there to wash them so they only get cleaned when they come back to Stockport.
I think we will start seeing changes at MCT in the next few months. There's already been some changes but HCT are starting to take an interest now and so hopefully they will open the cheque book and start spending Smile

From what I have heard they are planning on consolidating their buses to the Stockport depot. Makes sense especially if they haven't got the facilities to maintain buses in terms of cleanliness.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/04/2019 14:18)dounowhoiam Wrote:  From what I have heard they are planning on consolidating their buses to the Stockport depot. Makes sense especially if they haven't got the facilities to maintain buses in terms of cleanliness.

Right and wrong. It's HCT's plan to merge both depots together at a new site. It will hopefully see the start of some changes for the better, and hopefully some new buses Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)