Current time: 25/04/2024, 20:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top Gear
RE: Top Gear
(27/06/2016 20:20)jcksmnr Wrote:  I have worried that myself about the new Grand Tour show, I'm not sure about the format but hopefully the chemistry of the 3 and the segments that aren't live for any challenges etc. will be to the standard we know.

No doubt the first show will see Clarkson make continual digs at the BBC and Evans/LeBlanc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Top Gear USA cancelled http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36649402

New (new) Top Gear is pretty poor, the only redeeming feature being the rally car part (although the studio segment is dire). Fifth Gear reruns on Quest are far better than what BBC2 are showing now.

Mike Brewer, Edd China with Sue Perkins would have been better choice in my view. The Wheeler Dealer guys have a natural chemistry whilst Ms Perkins can be a bit of a loose cannon for a bit of an edge. Ah well.
(29/06/2016 07:03)Train Man Wrote:  Top Gear USA cancelled http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36649402

New (new) Top Gear is pretty poor, the only redeeming feature being the rally car part (although the studio segment is dire). Fifth Gear reruns on Quest are far better than what BBC2 are showing now.

Mike Brewer, Edd China with Sue Perkins would have been better choice in my view. The Wheeler Dealer guys have a natural chemistry whilst Ms Perkins can be a bit of a loose cannon for a bit of an edge. Ah well.

Top Gear USA, that's my next few months that needs filing now. The show wasn't up there as it was being Americanised (staged and over the top) but it was something.

Mike Brewer, Edd China and Sue Perkins now there's a team that would be great but I think Mike and Edd would be sticking to Discovery. I know it would boost their careers but they have their own businesses and I think it could be too much to do all three plus the family lives and private lives. Something would have to give.

Sue Perkins is a bit of a cannon much like Clarkson and would be great for women as when Angela Ripon joined Top Gear, women loved her for her confidence and expectations. I remember watching an old episode of Top Gear and it said women shouldn't have fears going buying a car or to a mechanic. I think she also gave confidence to women to walk away if they was being discriminated by sexist men.
I also believe Sue would be good for homosexuals and transgender people as she herself is a lesbian and for the reasons above on women.

Perhaps Paul and Phil from Wheeler Dealers, the two side mechanics for Edd could do bits and bobs for Top Gear.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If I remember rightly, Edd did a fair bit behind the scenes on Top Gear with his more unusual work, like the double decker cars - might well struggle to find a car that he would fit in for reviews and the like! My wife and I reckon he would have made a great teacher as well - no bunking off his lessons. Likable and informative, would have been a good 'replacement' for James May but as you say, the other business and personal life concerns mentioned could well result in something giving. He (and Mike Brewer and Sue Perkins) are certainly more likable than most of the new team on Top Gear...

Quite a backlash it would seem for the new series though, the series was reduced in the amount of episodes. No contributions from Evans/LeBlanc in the magazine is rubbing people up the wrong way as well. Rory and (the other) Chris are not bad, more like Fifth Gear I would say for those two guys. What I have seen from Sabine was not much cop, rather disappointing and the less said about Eddie Jordan the better. One thing being a bit zany for an edge but he hasn't got 'it'. Not going well for Top Gear.
(30/06/2016 07:31)Train Man Wrote:  If I remember rightly, Edd did a fair bit behind the scenes on Top Gear with his more unusual work, like the double decker cars - might well struggle to find a car that he would fit in for reviews and the like! My wife and I reckon he would have made a great teacher as well - no bunking off his lessons. Likable and informative, would have been a good 'replacement' for James May but as you say, the other business and personal life concerns mentioned could well result in something giving. He (and Mike Brewer and Sue Perkins) are certainly more likable than most of the new team on Top Gear...

Quite a backlash it would seem for the new series though, the series was reduced in the amount of episodes. No contributions from Evans/LeBlanc in the magazine is rubbing people up the wrong way as well. Rory and (the other) Chris are not bad, more like Fifth Gear I would say for those two guys. What I have seen from Sabine was not much cop, rather disappointing and the less said about Eddie Jordan the better. One thing being a bit zany for an edge but he hasn't got 'it'. Not going well for Top Gear.

Yes your right it was reported that Edd China did a bit for Top Gear albeit behind the scenes but he is very informative.
I hope the hosts replaced and somebody with more confidence takes the place. For SL64 I hope it stays for you although as you said the current set up won't be the same as Clarkson's.
Poundland are selling a number of used DVDs (ex Music Magpie) of Clarkson's solo efforts and some Top Gear titles which I picked up. Been very entertaining.

One on Dave this morning had LeBlanc in it, made to look as if he flew in, drove a car then flew out again. Hmm...

Might be interesting to know who turned down presenting Top Gear. Clarkson, Hammond and May would be a hard act to follow, as we are seeing on screen.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing what their new show, The Grand Tour, is like. I suspect it could be one of the final nails in the coffin for Top Gear.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(30/06/2016 17:23)CX54 DKD Wrote:  I'm very much looking forward to seeing what their new show, The Grand Tour, is like. I suspect it could be one of the final nails in the coffin for Top Gear.

It could be but that £79 joining fee for Amazon Prime is very costly if your like me who rarely orders stuff from Amazon. I guess it would be like paying for TV licenses as for me there's only a few shows I'll watch live. The rest is just something to fill a gap. A rather large gap for me.
I receive the student discount so only pay £39 for the on demand video service and prime delivery option thankfully. Got to be some benefit of that £9k a year, after all!

Comparably with Netflix though, it's only circa £7 more and you get the prime delivery service too.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(30/06/2016 17:44)RedPanda Wrote:  It could be but that £79 joining fee for Amazon Prime is very costly if your like me who rarely orders stuff from Amazon. I guess it would be like paying for TV licenses as for me there's only a few shows I'll watch live. The rest is just something to fill a gap. A rather large gap for me.

Much as I like the Clarkson/Hammond/May team, I won't pay a penny to amazon, never mind a jaw-dropping £79 - even the £39 mentioned is excessive.

Being the money grabbers that amazon are, I dare say The Grand Tour will end up on Blu Ray and DVD at some point. Or is that too old fashioned of me?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)