Current time: 21/05/2024, 05:10 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buses Bill
RE: Buses Bill
A weighty document, but there's a House of Commons Research paper on the Bus Services Bill as it enters the Commons. At 50 plus pages, they're quite a bit to read:
http://researchbriefings.files.parliamen...P-7545.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
If Stagecoach has deteriorated in Manchester, then maybe the new management structure would help to resolve that. Given the new MD is former MD of Merseyside, and the new OD is the former Area Manager of Go South Coast (Southern Vectis and Bluestar), they have a new senior management structure that have a very good pedigree in improving things.
(09/12/2016 14:22)steve517757 Wrote:  It is possible... but it does depend on the budget, London tendering has taken ages to get where it is and the bus network operates at over a £600m a year deficit.

London tendering started with a race to the bottom ... older vehicles brought in which were many years older than the incumbent.

Be careful what you wish for

I remember this. Admittedly it led to London buses by the mid-90s operating with virtually no subsidy.

(09/12/2016 16:04)Barney Wrote:  London was exempt from deregulation in 1986 but the bus companies were privatised. Initially, the new bus companies were allowed to introduce their own liveries (have a look at Grey-Green's or London Suburban Buses) but the powers-that-be quickly realised that the iconic image of the red London bus was being lost. Consequently, all successful tenders were compelled to paint their buses 90% London red. More recently, that has increased to 100% and the London roundel now also has to be applied. The result of this is that it is virtually impossible to distinguish whether the franchised route is being operated by Arriva, Stagecoach, First, Go-Ahead or any of the other ten or so companies that run buses on London's streets. '

You are right in your estimate of London buses run by 10 companies! They are run in approximately descending order of size by Go-Ahead, Metroline, Arriva, Stagecoach, RATP (including Quality Line), Abellio, Tower Transit, Hackney Community Transport (t/a CT Plus), Sullivan and Uno.

They largely have their own choice of interiors, but even this is being eroded as some operators - such as CT Plus and Sullivan - are taking up LT-style interiors on some of their own new buses.
(09/12/2016 17:02)Dentonian Wrote:  I don't buy the London press, but if ever a journalist or individual article was to persuade me to, it would be this. Incidentally, Owen Jones grew up in Stockport and went to Ridge Danyers College, Marple.

Not sure I get his collegue, Helen Pidd's article about Northerners voting Brexit. The arguments she puts forward for Brexiting are exactly the reasons I voted to Remain.

(09/12/2016 17:49)Barney Wrote:  For once, we agree on two things: Owen Jones and Brexit.

Leaving out the actual politics, I joined you both in voting Remain. To help Britain feel like a European country, I have refocussed my range of travels so that a majority are still in Europhile boroughs. I am pragmatic about cross-boundary routes - and since the referendum have thus been to Leigh and Ashton-under-Lyme for example - and allow myself occasional pure Eurosceptic travels - such as Birmingham. Current indications are that my enthusiast travels in the second half of 2016 will have been just under 70% Europhile.
(10/12/2016 20:57)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I remember this. Admittedly it led to London buses by the mid-90s operating with virtually no subsidy.

You are right in your estimate of London buses run by 10 companies! They are run in approximately descending order of size by Go-Ahead, Metroline, Arriva, Stagecoach, RATP (including Quality Line), Abellio, Tower Transit, Hackney Community Transport (t/a CT Plus), Sullivan and Uno.

They largely have their own choice of interiors, but even this is being eroded as some operators - such as CT Plus and Sullivan - are taking up LT-style interiors on some of their own new buses.

What is the standard TfL interior these days? Is it the Borisbus interior?
(10/12/2016 21:25)Barney Wrote:  What is the standard TfL interior these days? Is it the Borisbus interior?

While it has not been stated by TfL as mandatory on any company's individual buses, this is indeed the interior chosen by CT Plus and Sullivan recently, and perhaps appropriately for London United's 6 Volvo B5LHs with NRM-style bodywork.
(10/12/2016 08:02)Nicholas Wrote:  If Stagecoach has deteriorated in Manchester, then maybe the new management structure would help to resolve that. Given the new MD is former MD of Merseyside, and the new OD is the former Area Manager of Go South Coast (Southern Vectis and Bluestar), they have a new senior management structure that have a very good pedigree in improving things.

I think standards are shocking at Stagecoach Manchester. Certainly not a patch on things 5/6 years ago. Personally I think there needs to be a sweep of managent running certain depots! I've noticed over the last couple of years drivers seem to get away with murder today being no exception with me watching in disbelief as a driver of a heavily loaded Enviro400 negotiated a busy junction with one hand on the steering wheel the other holding a large subway cup while the driver drank out of it.

One thing I've noticed on recent trips to London is that most bus drivers and TFL staff are very people orientated. There approachable and friendly despite the very fast paced enviroment. A sheer cry from most frontline here in Manchester!
Helps that the drivers in London dont deal with cash any more
(10/12/2016 23:01)wirralbus Wrote:  Helps that the drivers in London dont deal with cash any more

Absolutely but their still very friendly helpful and polite and 'tourist friendly'.
I see a lot of similarities in the standard of driver between Manchester/Liverpool and Sydney where i live currently. Basically poor driving standard not that professional and standards slipping worryingly the transdev routes i use are to a higher standard and to a higher standard of bus than the Government run stuff. On the other hand Brisbane is a lot like London Very friendly courteous and professional and always going the extra mile i love getting on a Nice airconned Scania in Brisbane being greeted with a Good morning and then a friendly joke about a Rugby League or Football shirt im wearing or a anti trump t shirt it's the little things that make Brisbane my favorite operator i've ever used.

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)