Current time: 30/04/2024, 12:39 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Buses Bill
RE: Buses Bill
(11/12/2016 11:25)Dentonian Wrote:  I'm a little surprised and disappointed about the example you quote, but I do note you say "certain depots". My criticism of Stagecoach is 100% the fault of (new?) management, and although a little less gregarious, I am relieved to find NO deterioration in the driving standards at Hyde Road. They still wait for "runners" - as to be fair I've seen happen increasingly with First drivers - and have never witnessed anything like as bad the example you quote above. Dare one suggest that driver was inherited from a certain company taken over 2-3 years ago? I have noticed a slight increase in early running, but only by a minute or so, on frequent services and the driver will know he/she is going to lose time further down the route due to tight and badly distributed running time

To be fair when Hyde road had the 168/9 the driving standards were OK although I remember on one occasion boarding a late 169 and requesting a megarider. The driver snatched the money off me closed the doors and started driving, then keeping the steering wheel steady with his knee he used both hands to do my ticket - while doing 30mph.

To be honest the attitude at Firsts Tameside depot always used to be that drivers did what they wanted. Tgey picked what buses they were using and early running and simply driving past passengers at stops was a regular thing. A major issue I had at the time was the sloppy drivers forcing passengers off either on the pavement outside the bus station on Wellington road or in the layover bay. First were quick to say it was wrong and shouldn't be happening but seemed unable to police it or stop it happening. I believe a change in managent has actually improved things massively there and standards are bette than they were, the stagecoach depot I'm talking about isn't a million miles away and don't get me wrong some of the drivers are stars but the attitude of others is shocking and In all honesty they shouldn't be driving or dealing with the public.

A very good friend recently passed his psv licence and is now a driver at Hyde road. He found sitting the practical test very trying and admitted there's no way they would pass someone who was drinking, eating or had a hand dangling out of the window.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
A window out of the window??? The mind boggles, lol
(12/12/2016 08:15)M60lad Wrote:  A window out of the window??? The mind boggles, lol

It should read 'driving with a hand dangling out of the window' lol sadly my iPhone has this habbit of changing words or complete sentences as I press the send button
(12/12/2016 12:04)Mayneway Wrote:  It should read 'driving with a hand dangling out of the window' lol sadly my iPhone has this habbit of changing words or complete sentences as I press the send button

On Merseyside that's called a taxi-driver sun tan (the right forearm). At this time of the year surely it's a cert for frost bite. On a serious note, don't all buses have cab CCTV? This would surely identify bad driving standards.
CCTV used for that purpose might attract some interest from the unions :/
(12/12/2016 16:47)Valandil Wrote:  CCTV used for that purpose might attract some interest from the unions :/

Definitely going off topic now but I don't think so. Cab CCTV is used to protect the driver from unwarranted accusations of bad practice and to identify would-be assailants.
(12/12/2016 17:39)Barney Wrote:  Definitely going off topic now but I don't think so. Cab CCTV is used to protect the driver from unwarranted accusations of bad practice and to identify would-be assailants.

Cab cameras and even microphones are union requirements certainly for stagecoach Manchester. I remember when stagecoach first took over Bluebird, any drivers in the union were told not to drive a bus without a screen and camera.

Never the less they only check CCTV if a serious complaint is made against a driver and obviously I'm not suggesting everyone complains if they see a driver with a hand out of the window but it's a bug bear as if they did that during their test they would probably get failed.
If buses bill does happen, will company's have to pay to repaint buses or will the local transport authority pay for it?
(12/12/2016 21:14)Dentonian Wrote:  Again, you are jumping the gun. The Buses Bill will give the option for Elected mayors to decide whether buses in his/her area should be franchised. IF they are, there will be long discussions over what form that franchising will take, including technicalities such as a common, recognisable livery. IF there was to be such a livery, repainting buses would be included one way or another in the finer detail of the costs. Bidders would either protect themselves against paying direct, or the LTA will agree to pay the full cost.

I still carnt decide if I'm for or against the bill a there does seem to be a lot of question marks over the whole thing.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)