Current time: 05/05/2024, 05:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wirral Transport Museum
RE: Wirral Transport Museum
Also posted in the Wirral Heritage Tramway thread but this does concern the museum as well.

Birkenhead Tram depot under threat:

http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=1075

Credit: British Trams Online.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
That's a worrying turn of events and for 1BG as well.
It would be awful to lose this great facility, and also to lose any vehicles be they buses or trams.

Cool Life is for living !
The Taylor Street museum is an excellent facility and it would be appalling to have got this far and have to step backwards.

Unfortunately a great number of enthusiasts are willing to attend events and be quite critical to how they are put on. Fewer will volunteer on a regular basis to help out. But even many of those seem to forget that in this great modern age, it’s all about the money.

It’s all very well volunteering to mop floors in the toilets, but just turning on the lights costs money. I’m sure the public liability insurance is covered by the councils block policy that covers all of their public buildings, but if they cut ties it will cost a lot more for an enthusiast group to get cover, especially if they want to cover operating the trams.

I would hate to work out what it would cost to run a tram on a single round trip taking account of that vehicles contribution to:
road insurance,
public liability insurance,
electricity of running,
electricity for maintainance,
rent on the shed,
council tax on the shed,
insurance on the building,
Look at how many trips run empty or with only one or two people onboard. What’s the real cost? You could do the same for the buses, but remember that each vehicle that’s being restored and isn’t generating income needs to have it’s rent and insurance costs covered by an operational vehicle. You also have to find more funds to actually restore it to a point where it can earn money.

The most important job of all for any museum is generating money.

Some of us may be past it, but there must be some young lads out there who can get involved in fund raising and help save this museum. I just wish I was 20 years younger.
I hear a PD2 was out on the 15 on sunday
Is the 15PR running today with the special festival in new Brighton seen at least 3 old buses around at least 2 corpy buses
This is the first I've heard of this 15PR service, and it seems a little on the pointless side. They'd be far, far better off running a longer service - Eg from Birkenhead at least. A service just running along the promenade seems to me like a black hole for diesel, and 'not being aimed at bus enthusiasts' seems to defeat the object of preserved vehicles running.
Remember like Tom (R557 ABA) posted its a Park & Ride from Harrison Drive to New Brighton which is daft as there is a giant carpark in New Brighton by the morrisons plus a big car park at The Fort so I just don't see any point in the service really

For the bus and tram show the Wirral Museum should extend the 15PR for 1 day into a 15 and run the old museum route to New Brighton from Woodside extending to Harrison Drive for the timetabled 15PR trips
The P&R service will be finished by then.
(05/06/2012 11:02)SNL 824 Wrote:  I've re-read the timetable -it refers to a heritage bus service several times, but I can't see any reference to park and ride. I assumed the PR was for promenade. In any case who's ever heard of a park and ride service that doesn't run when it rains! The comment from the transport manager just adds to the damage to the reputation of the museum and Merseytravel. One thing is for sure. PR certainly doesn't stand for Public Relations.

Indeed whilst i can understand they didn't run the service because all the vehicles broke down[which would be a rare event] considering how old they are, then fair enough, but to come with because it's raining is pathetic, & a thought, if it rains all day when the Wirral Bus & Tram show takes place, are WTM going to cancel all there services then, i think not.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)