Current time: 30/04/2024, 20:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Heating on buses
RE: Heating on buses
Back to heating and Optare solo's have always been amazing in regards to how temperate they can get, you can go from snowstorm to desert planes in under 10 seconds just boarding one.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I've had my suspicions on Arriva Speke depots Volvo B7TL's, brilliant buses in my opinion however bar the demisters & drivers cabin, saloon heating is virtually Inexistent at times which it never used to be.. Guess it all comes down to wear & tear.. Furthermore you could imagine fan blown heating systems and radiators may need to be given a clean out once in a while

Been hating Urban 90's since 2001Dodgy
(13/12/2015 21:39)RedPanda Wrote:  With regards to Mayneway's post 13 he says that drivers aren't meant to go into the engine bay, if it was a cleaner or the tea boy or a jack the lad, health and safety would poke their noses in. Apprentices are cheaper and they would learn where x, y and z are on different engines. They could also try and get a broken down bus going again when they have enough experience under their belt.
It would save money on not having the tow truck.

Your digging a hole for yourself by suggesting that apprentices are cheap labour and are easily dispensable if they do a job wrong.
Of course I'm not suggesting a tea boy or cleaner should be fiddling in engine compartments but I was making the point that from the passengers point of view comfort wise it's not important whether the apprentice who's on less money than a fully skilled engineer turns on heating valve as long as it's done.

My original post about the driver pulling over and going to adult the valve - drivers aren't supposed to open or close the valve, or top up the coolant in the summer but plenty do as it's quicker than waiting for a fitter or an inspector to come to their aid.
(13/12/2015 22:41)Barney Wrote:  [quote='Mayneway' pid='83892' dateline='1450034523']

There are two problems with your comments.
Firstly when do engineeres turn it on? If you have a cold frosty night in October then a 3/4 week mild spell one thing engineering staff won't want to do is be constantly be turning heating on and off lol.

That's a fair point but when I started this thread this morning it was the 13th of December and I think that it is safe to say that there won't be a heat-wave between now and next April. Therefore, is it not unreasonable to expect buses to have heating switched on for the next three months?

Countries with much harsher winters than ours seem capable of operating buses with working heaters.

Well here in Britain we never seem to adapt to the weather do we just look at trains and 'leaves on the track' or the 'wrong kind of snow' lol

The point I was making is that up until this weekend it was actually rather mild (and wet), and I believe now until the end of December should largely be pretty mild so heating won't be seen as a priority because it's not cold enough in their eyes.
It's like me saying I'm going to turn my central heating up to high from 1st December because it's bound to be cold when in actual fact it's hardly been on until this weekend.
(14/12/2015 00:12)Mayneway Wrote:  Your digging a hole for yourself by suggesting that apprentices are cheap labour and are easily dispensable if they do a job wrong.
Of course I'm not suggesting a tea boy or cleaner should be fiddling in engine compartments but I was making the point that from the passengers point of view comfort wise it's not important whether the apprentice who's on less money than a fully skilled engineer turns on heating valve as long as it's done.

My original post about the driver pulling over and going to adult the valve - drivers aren't supposed to open or close the valve, or top up the coolant in the summer but plenty do as it's quicker than waiting for a fitter or an inspector to come to their aid.

Perhaps if theres a qualified fitter driving a bus back to town, they could check up on the apprentice and if needs be the fitter can lend a hand for a few minutes. if a driver goes the engine compartment doesn't notice the loose pipe leaking hot liquids eventually spitting out the contents or accidentally catches the hot metal, the driver could be injured therefore its a health and safety matter.
I'm not saying buses can't leave the bus station without the switch being turned on or off first but if there is a fitter flicking the switch or opening the valve on the bus at the side of your bus, then perhaps they could do it quick. If a bus is late then don't do it but if it's early then why not though priority would be fixing and getting it back on the road.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)