Current time: 23/04/2024, 17:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which independent operator do you miss the most?
RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most?
£1.08 return - bet that required the driver having loads of change lol.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The one's I miss as already mentioned Lofty's in and around the Chester area. Also in that area Devaway between them they had a nice little collection of various vehicles.
I also miss the original Helms of Eastham before a certain Mr Cherry acquired it. Not only did they run coaches but also a taxi company from his little office in Eastham.
And two more to add although not bus operators Hardings and Landliner
I miss Star Line Travel who used to operate in the Knutsford and Altrincham areas before being taking over by British Bus t/a North Western Road Car Co. They used to have a very modern well presented fleet and had local contact phone numbers painted on the back - 01565 or 0161 depending on which depot they were operating from. They also had a coaches division which was a joint operation with Bullocks which was legally named Ambassador Coaches but traded as Star Line Travel.
(01/12/2015 19:01)St Helens Rider Wrote:  1 Shearings when they ran buses ran some very interesting routes like the 140 (later became 50) which ran Warrington - St Helens - Prescot - a route much missed today. Also at one point they ran a 651 Huyton - Prescot - St Helens - Newton-Le-willows - Ashton - Atherton.

They were also the operator who started the unusual 288 Altrincham-Wilmslow-Knutsford route, which is now the 88.
(01/12/2015 19:01)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I'm going back quite a long time which a few members probably won't remember. I have 2 independents in mind.

1 Shearings when they ran buses ran some very interesting routes like the 140 (later became 50) which ran Warrington - St Helens - Prescot - a route much missed today. Also at one point they ran a 651 Huyton - Prescot - St Helens - Newton-Le-willows - Ashton - Atherton.

2. Ogdens first attempt at running buses included a 14 which ran Earlestown - Haydock - St Helens - Rainhill - Prescot - a through link much missed today.

Just looking back through the thread and spotted the spelling on point 2 - damn autocorrect. Apologies for any initial confusion at the time.
I miss it not being Birkenhead Transport,Wallasey Corporation motors,Crosville motor services and Liverpool corporation transport,it was far more interesting in the old days.
1. David Tanner's of St Helens - Used to talk to David a lot as he would always drive the 70

2. JPT - Used to like the mixed fleet as a Spotter

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Toppings with there Leyland Lynx's which they bought specifically for the route 16/17 which where the Merseytravel 216/217 routes made commercial.
(14/11/2017 19:03)wirralbus Wrote:  Toppings with there Leyland Lynx's which they bought specifically for the route 16/17 which where the Merseytravel 216/217 routes made commercial.
And they had a very interesting mix of vehicles on the Liverpool side of the Mersey when they ran the 106/116/140 during the evenings and Sundays. Also I remember they ran a very comfortable minibus on the 275 (Huyton - Prescot) around 1987/1988 (think the daytime service was a 75A (Liverpool - Huyton - Prescot run by Merseybus)).
Liverpool City Coaches Original operators of the 193 Upton Village - via Nocturm Woodside On a Sunday & Bank Holiday

Red Rider also an old favourite PMT colours !

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)