Current time: 26/04/2024, 05:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which independent operator do you miss the most?
RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most?
I'd have to say MTL - it was sort of independent at the time prior to sale to Arriva.

After then probably Supertravel, always like them

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The most recent operator I miss is Finglands. Where I live I was rarely let down by their services which is more than I can say about the operator that replaced them!
However the operator I miss most is the original North Western RCCL. - going to school on Atkinsons (sat next to the driver), and when I started work I did not know what might 'turn up' - Leyland PD2/lowbridge, Dennis Lolines or brand new Daimler Fleetlines - boy then were the days.
1. GTL - used to always prefere there 432 over Arriva due to the ex MTL Buses on the GTL route

2. A1A - a good little inderpendents but harsh times put a end to the 107/207 service and there Wirral network of contracts followed suite

3. Impera - tbh was a good firm with a good collection of buses just a shame the way they went at the end
When I went to Glossop last Saturday I missed Speedwellbus, as I liked its name, livery and smart buses.
Birkenhead & District Buses (GM Buses South)
My favourite were Hollis Coaches, Queensferry and Lofty Tours, Mickle Trafford. I'm so missed Hollis fleets, always different vehicles from all over place, also my favourite are ex-Chester Leyland Tiger XFM54G, ex-Lancaster but new to Salford Leyland Atlanteans DBA2**C and Leyland Leopard Plaxton coach PWR646K. I know Tom Hollis well are good lad to collection vintage vehicles. I like Lofty Tours very much but I use be to watched school contract buses all ex-Birkenhead double deckers also ex-Chester Leyland Leopard NMB69-71P.
Both are gone now what a shame!
(09/12/2015 20:59)Dentonian Wrote:  I remember when I worked for GMBS, one driver (a Union rep iirc) was talking to me after he'd finished his posting to B&D, and telling me that one woman with a push chair asked him why he had stopped for her between stops! Seemingly, she had ruefully put her hand out in the hope someone was getting off at the stop she couldn't reach, so when our driver pulled up where she was actually walking, she said Merseyside drivers NEVER stop for "runners".
She is wrong there,over the decades travelling on Buses,Trams some nice drivers do stop for
"runners"

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
Mayne's Manchester without a doubt
(09/12/2015 17:59)moreton407 Wrote:  Birkenhead & District Buses (GM Buses South)

I agree that Birkenhead & District brought some competition to an area of Merseyside that was not known to have much competition at all , to be honest it can be seen as a cartel even now .

It was always interesting to see how MTL competed at the time , as such the same happened when Wirralbus had there brief foray against Merseybus.
The has had other spells of competition - Merseybus and Crosville have had their run-ins - I recall Crosville running a C10 between Rock Ferry and New Brighton and Merseybus responding with a 66 between Arrowe Park and Ellesmere Port (just one example I can think of). Also Busmans Buses also created a bit of competition on the Arrowe Park - Birkenhead corridor as well as one point.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)