Current time: 03/05/2024, 18:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Christmas and New Year Bus Services
RE: Christmas and New Year Bus Services
(24/11/2015 19:34)buses7675 Wrote:  They are asking for volunteers at the moment, with the exception of 10X (which is a 10A really) and 21X (mix of 20 and 21 I think) they aren't usual Stagecoach routes so they'll need people who know the routes or who are willing to learn in time - my name is in the hat anyway!

Same for Wirral, Rock Ferry drivers are putting there names down at present
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/11/2015 21:31)E208 WBG Wrote:  Same for Wirral. Rock Ferry drivers are putting their names down at present.

For many years the arguments for NOT operating services over the Christmas period (Boxing Day and New Year's Day) was that there was no demand from the public and that it would be very difficult to crew such services. As we now see, these arguments were totally unfounded and it is very clear that bus services on Merseyside - and every other main conurbation in this country - are needed and wanted.

A relative of mine who works for TfL very recently showed me a memo from the head of bus operations for London stating that there was no plan to operate buses on Christmas Day even though it costs a fortune to park up over a 1000 buses - often many miles from their depot - that would normally be operating in service. No doubt there will be a rethink there in the next year or so.
Whilst the traffic objectives of shopping aren't open there will never be a large over abundance of buses operating on Christmas Day.

The only reason the buses operate on Boxing Day is because the retail environment has changed over the last ten years to such an extent this is now one of there busiest days of the year.

New Years Eve now there is a date in the calendar that will be getting looked at I think , New Years day (Daytime / Evening) must be quiet in comparsion.
(24/11/2015 23:22)Barney Wrote:  For many years the arguments for NOT operating services over the Christmas period (Boxing Day and New Year's Day) was that there was no demand from the public and that it would be very difficult to crew such services. As we now see, these arguments were totally unfounded and it is very clear that bus services on Merseyside - and every other main conurbation in this country - are needed and wanted.

A relative of mine who works for TfL very recently showed me a memo from the head of bus operations for London stating that there was no plan to operate buses on Christmas Day even though it costs a fortune to park up over a 1000 buses - often many miles from their depot - that would normally be operating in service. No doubt there will be a rethink there in the next year or so.

I think this is an excellent demonstration of why cuts to services very often don't work economically.
A lot of buses running can mean a lot of passengers using them and lots of revenue.
Yet very few buses running can mean proportionally far fewer passengers using them: so yes costs are lower, but the actual profit is too.
(25/11/2015 06:13)wirralbus Wrote:  New Years Eve now there is a date in the calendar that will be getting looked at I think , New Years day (Daytime / Evening) must be quiet in comparsion.

The same relative told me that planning for New Year's Eve night buses in London begins on January 2nd and is the busiest night of the year. Yes, I know that Liverpool is not London but the one occasion that night buses did run (2000) they were incredibly popular. My understanding is that in recent years Liverpool city centre is relatively quiet on New Year's Eve, much to the chagrin of black hackney, private hire drivers and licensees, but I suspect that many people are not willing to venture far from home - particularly those living on the Wirral - because of the extortionate fares charged.
Doesn't London's service overnight get sponsored on New years Eve into New years Day by a large firm , not sure who it was this time around .
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/mobile/Pa...stmas.aspx

Merseytravel Christmas page updated

Quote - the above page "Christmas and New Year Public Transport 2015

It's that time of year when you need to know all about planned changes to Merseyside's public transport network over the festive period. This page will shortly be updated to provide you with everything you need to know."

So should know soon full details
This time last year the Merseytravel Website had the entire Crimbo Period Timetables online

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Christmas and New Year transport information now on Merseytravel website
http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/promotion...vices.aspx

Christmas Day Bus Times - http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/promotion...0buses.pdf

Boxing Day Times - http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/promotion...0buses.pdf

New Year Day times - http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/promotion...0buses.pdf
Yet again Maghull and South Liverpool get a bus service on New Years Day evening while everyone else has to make alternative arrangements. I know there is limited funds but either put a reasonable network out or none at all.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)