Current time: 18/05/2024, 03:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool Night Buses Christmas 2015
RE: Liverpool Night Buses Crimbo 2015
(07/10/2015 16:07)R879 HRF Wrote:  Hit the nail on the head. As a bus driver, I do mostly late shifts. I've never felt under threat, at all. Yes there are always noisy tipsy people, who generally get the whole bus into song, but it's a lively atmosphere and breaks up the boredom. I love a livelybus in good spirits. There drunk problems are 9/10 caused by druggies and alcoholics who linger around suburbs and on park benches which cause the trouble. I've never once had trouble with tipsy town goers.

The only thing night bus 1 needs is higher fares. As has been mentioned the 1 costs £3-Wirral Liverpool and £3.40.Cheshire-liverpool. So running at £2 flat fare makes no sense. We will see...

Tbh as A bus driver I also have to agree with you R879HRF that is very true I have never had issues on lates either
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I suppose it's really a matter of opinion, and also depends on the route as to the sorts who may board.

I am no longer active on this forum.
(07/10/2015 21:01)E208 WBG Wrote:  Tbh as A bus driver I also have to agree with you R879HRF that is very true I have never had issues on lates either

As a bus driver I have had more issues with kids on day routes than of people at night. Most are pleasant if tipsy and chatty but appreciate the 'lift' home. Not having idiots getting on not paying lighting up pot and generally being a nightmare in the middle of the day personally creates more problems. Plus I find on most night routes you get regular passengers who you get to know. Many a time I've waited a little longer at a bus stop when the regular passenger is not there just in case and more often than not they arrive very apologetic and grateful for waiting knowing saved their long walk/taxi home. I've even had passengers wait a bus stop earlier on to advise they won't be out that night in case I was wondering.
Route 1 is a new entity for a night route , so for that route it make take a little longer to come to life .
(07/10/2015 19:23)Enviro400 Wrote:  Out of interest, do you work the last services often? How do you generally find them?

I have to be honest, no I don't. I only do lates when they come round in the roster which isn't that often. When I do do lates, they're generally ok though I've had to call the police once or twice. I even had to flag a patrol car down as I had somebody on my bus threatening somebody else with a knife! Maybe I'm just unlucky...
Are Senior Citizen Passes Valid on these night buses ?

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
Everybody has differing perceptions of safety in the dark hours .

Lets just see how the service take up is this year
(08/10/2015 15:51)Penny Return Wrote:  Are Senior Citizen Passes Valid on these night buses ?

No. They were never allowed in the past often to the outrage of certain would-be travellers. I can recall about ten years ago four OAPS trying to get on an N55 with their passes. Three of them accepted the fact that only cash fares were allowed but one of them got off in disgust and hailed a taxi. His mates were amused because they calculated that it would cost him at least three times as much to get home.

The fundamental problem with the night buses in Liverpool is that only cash fares are accepted whereas in London any and all prepaid tickets are accepted.
To be honest, as much as I'd like to be able to use my pass, I accept that night buses incur additional costs and I'm happy to pay up. I thought that £4 for Arriva's N23 was great - there is no way I could get from Liverpool to the bottom of my road for anything less than £30 otherwise, so it represented a great saving and I quite liked the atmosphere when it occasionally erupted into song or there was some friendly drunk having simultaneous conversations with the whole bus!

I was devastated when Ace went under and Merseytravel discontinued the 500, now it costs a fortune for me in taxi fares or parking, or it takes an age & a heap of energy to cycle through the tunnel, although I have been caught out once when the Birkenhead tunnel was shut as you're not allowed to cycle through the Kingsway - so it's a nightmare since the 500 ended -I've still not found a cost effective alternative. I'm looking forward to these Christmas night buses more than Christmas itself! Haha
I thought it would be extremely dangerous to cycle through the Queensway Tunnel (Birkenhead) with the numerous bends in it .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)