Current time: 06/05/2024, 09:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Services which don't exist but there could be demand for
Services which don't exist but there could be demand for
In my local area I think the following services could be useful if they were introduced:

1. Knutsford to Warrington. Reintroducing a service from a small town to a major town 12 miles away seems logical. Providing a regular service would also provide proper public transport for the village of High Legh which has only been left with token bus services mainly at not very useful times following the withdrawal of the Warrington Coachways service between Altrincham and Warrington via High Legh.

2. Evening Sunday and Bank Holiday services to Macclesfield Hospital from towns in East Cheshire where Macclesfield is the closest hospital. The 130 service does run on Sundays and Bank Holidays but both the 27 and 130 services stop in the early evening on weekdays and Saturdays and the 27 service doesn't run on Sundays and Bank Holidays. If you want to visit someone in hospital and work normal full time hours the only opportunity you have is on Saturdays if you don't have a car.

3. Hartford station to East Cheshire. Hartford station has a full and overflowing car park most days as people whose local station is on the Chester to Altrincham drive there for alternative destinations, with car parking charges recently being introduced at Hartford station some of those might well be attracted to use well timed bus services. Additionally Northwich station is poorly located for the town, so people might switch to the bus to get to and from Northwich if one ran directly and regularly.

4. Cheshire to Manchester Airport. There's currently just a Wilmslow to Manchester Airport bus so many places in Cheshire have no bus (or train) to the Airport. One option could be to revise the 88 and 200 services so that you finish up with the following services every hour:
* Altrincham to Wilmslow to Knutsford
* Altrincham to Wilmslow only
* Manchester Airport to Wilmslow to Knutsford
A further option could be implement idea 3 (above) alongside this and finish up with Manchester Airport to Hartford via Wilmslow, Knutsford and Northwich. Another option could be to extend the 200 service to Macclesfield.

What services do other people think should be introduced in their local areas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Services which don't exist but there could be demand for
One Service i am still shocked does not exist is a Service from St Helens to Manchester, there used to be loads of Services connecting to 2 places and now the only connection is from St Helens Junction and thats not really located in the best of places

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
It did used to be annoying when i wanted to go out for a day on buses and had to catch a bus from manchester to bolton to st helens to liverpool...
Such services used to exist. The 34 between 1986 & 1995 was run by Gm Buses as an express running Liverpool - St Helens - Newton-Le-willows - Leigh - Manchester.

One route I'd like to see re-introduced is the old Ribble 309/319 which ran Warrington - Burtonwood - St Helens - Rainford - Ormskirk - Southport.
Parts of the 309/19 could be profitable like Warrington to St Helens , think the section between St helens - Ormskirk has already been tried and failed , Ormskirk - Southport as such is already served on the main route between the two , so would have to be via another underused route.

34 I think could stand up as a through route between St Helens - Manchester , but would have to find another way to get into Liverpool City Centre if extended into Liverpool to not fall foul of the QBP in place.
The 34 wouldn't survive due to the fact you can two singles on the train from £2 each way on what is almost the exact route.
Going from St Helens to Liverpool i would have it as an 89 to Huyton Bus Station then as a 6 or a 7 from there into the City Centre

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(15/09/2015 15:27)T42 PVM Wrote:  Going from St Helens to Liverpool i would have it as an 89 to Huyton Bus Station then as a 6 or a 7 from there into the City Centre

Wouldnt the 34 these days have to be registered in seperate portions then married together .
Yes it would, just have it like the Rhyl - Chester 11

(15/09/2015 14:19)knutstransport Wrote:  In my local area I think the following services could be useful if they were introduced:

1. Knutsford to Warrington. Reintroducing a service from a small town to a major town 12 miles away seems logical. Providing a regular service would also provide proper public transport for the village of High Legh which has only been left with token bus services mainly at not very useful times following the withdrawal of the Warrington Coachways service between Altrincham and Warrington via High Legh.

2. Evening Sunday and Bank Holiday services to Macclesfield Hospital from towns in East Cheshire where Macclesfield is the closest hospital. The 130 service does run on Sundays and Bank Holidays but both the 27 and 130 services stop in the early evening on weekdays and Saturdays and the 27 service doesn't run on Sundays and Bank Holidays. If you want to visit someone in hospital and work normal full time hours the only opportunity you have is on Saturdays if you don't have a car.

3. Hartford station to East Cheshire. Hartford station has a full and overflowing car park most days as people whose local station is on the Chester to Altrincham drive there for alternative destinations, with car parking charges recently being introduced at Hartford station some of those might well be attracted to use well timed bus services. Additionally Northwich station is poorly located for the town, so people might switch to the bus to get to and from Northwich if one ran directly and regularly.

4. Cheshire to Manchester Airport. There's currently just a Wilmslow to Manchester Airport bus so many places in Cheshire have no bus (or train) to the Airport. One option could be to revise the 88 and 200 services so that you finish up with the following services every hour:
* Altrincham to Wilmslow to Knutsford
* Altrincham to Wilmslow only
* Manchester Airport to Wilmslow to Knutsford
A further option could be implement idea 3 (above) alongside this and finish up with Manchester Airport to Hartford via Wilmslow, Knutsford and Northwich. Another option could be to extend the 200 service to Macclesfield.

What services do other people think should be introduced in their local areas?

Northwich is generally poorly served in my opinion, but the same could be said for the whole Mid-Cheshire area. I'd like to see the 1 and the 31 run later once the new cinema opens in the town centre.

For me however I'd like to see a Widnes-Runcorn-Warrington circular run by Halton, sort-of a 62 interworking onto a 110 and vice versa. I think it could quite easily be viable on a 30 minute frequency.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)