Current time: 29/04/2024, 13:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TPE services head updated list of overcrowded services
TPE services head updated list of overcrowded services
01: 04:22 Glasgow Central to Manchester Airport (TPE) - Load factor 186%
02: 16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh (TPE) - Load factor 185%
03: 06:31 Reading to London Paddington (FGW) - Load factor 176%
04: 07:57 London Heathrow to London Paddington (Heathow Connect) - Load factor 171%
05: 07:02 Reading to London Paddington (FGW) - Load factor 164%
06: 06:35 Caterham to Victoria Central (Southern) - Load factor 164%
07: 07:24 Brighton to Bedford (Thameslink) - Load factor 161%
08: 18:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh (TPE) - Load factor 161%
09: 07:32 Woking to London Waterloo (SWT) - Load factor 160%
10: 07:02 Woking to London Waterloo (SWT)- Load factor 158%

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rail-...-on-trains

As usual the above list only includes weekday services arriving in major cities in the morning peak or leaving major cities in the evening peak.

At least one positive for TPE is they no longer have a Manchester Airport to Middlesbrough service in the top 10 following the North TPE changes last year.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: TPE services head updated list of overcrowded services
Are the TPE services in the list at present booked for just a four car 350 ?
(09/09/2015 13:15)wirralbus Wrote:  Are the TPE services in the list at present booked for just a four car 350 ?

Yes with an exception on Fridays only where the 16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh is booked as a 6 car 185.
(09/09/2015 14:16)knutstransport Wrote:  Yes with an exception on Fridays only where the 16:00 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh is booked as a 6 car 185.

I'm not sure of the seating capacity of a four car 350 over a six car 185 , when running in a six car formation , wouldn't one of the sets require an extra on-board member of staff.
(09/09/2015 17:11)wirralbus Wrote:  I'm not sure of the seating capacity of a four car 350 over a six car 185 , when running in a six car formation , wouldn't one of the sets require an extra on-board member of staff.

A Class 185 unit has 169 seats (154 standard, 15 first class) compared to a Class 350/4 unit which has 205 seats (186 standard, 19 first class). It isn't a big difference between the two (36 seats) considering a 350/4 has an extra carriage. A six car 185 formation has a total of 338 seats which is an extra 133 seats as well as extra standing room.

A six car 185 formation would need an extra member of on-board staff because the 185s don't have interconnecting gangways
(09/09/2015 17:56)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  A Class 185 unit has 169 seats (154 standard, 15 first class) compared to a Class 350/4 unit which has 205 seats (186 standard, 19 first class). It isn't a big difference between the two (36 seats) considering a 350/4 has an extra carriage. A six car 185 formation has a total of 338 seats which is an extra 133 seats as well as extra standing room.

A six car 185 formation would need an extra member of on-board staff because the 185s don't have interconnecting gangways

Would that not mean that Northern should have an extra member of staff when Pacers run together?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(09/09/2015 22:07)T42 PVM Wrote:  Would that not mean that Northern should have an extra member of staff when Pacers run together?

I personally think it's better to have a member of staff on each unit if one or both units don't have an interconnecting gangway - because if there's only one conductor for both units then they would need to keep changing units at alternate stops in order to check tickets. It's the same if there's any formations that have a food and drinks trolley - if there's no interconnecting gangway then only one of the units would have food and drinks available unless the trolley was moved between the units at alternate stations or there was a trolley on each unit
Busy trains that aren't doubled up can finish up having a second person to assist the conductor, while doubled up trains without corridor connections can finish up just having the conductor and driver. There's really no consistency.
(10/09/2015 00:05)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  I personally think it's better to have a member of staff on each unit if one or both units don't have an interconnecting gangway - because if there's only one conductor for both units then they would need to keep changing units at alternate stops in order to check tickets. It's the same if there's any formations that have a food and drinks trolley - if there's no interconnecting gangway then only one of the units would have food and drinks available unless the trolley was moved between the units at alternate stations or there was a trolley on each unit

In theory i dont know whether if both sets are actually in service that the conductor would be allowed to be in the front set as the rear set would then have no staff presence , this then becoming a safety risk.
(10/09/2015 14:29)wirralbus Wrote:  In theory i dont know whether if both sets are actually in service that the conductor would be allowed to be in the front set as the rear set would then have no staff presence , this then becoming a safety risk.

Yes - that's why I think it's better to have a conductor in each unit rather than just the rear unit. I don't see the point in checking tickets in only one portion of the formation. At least if there's a conductor in each unit then tickets can be checked in both units and the passengers will know that there's somebody to go to if they have any queries

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)