Current time: 03/05/2024, 05:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyside Night Buses
RE: Merseyside Night Buses
Likewise, I have just completed a degree at Liverpool and I was the only person from all my friends who had a bus pass, which I used frequently to travel to Wirral, Wrexham and Bolton.

All my friends either walked or cycled, including one friend who lived by Tesco in Allerton and went to John Moores Byrom Street campus near the tunnels. The cash just isn't there for most students to get a bus pass, even for those who work. For me it was an absolute necessity due to my unconventional work patterns which involved me moving around a lot.

The odd occasion that people did get the bus was when only 2 or 3 of us were going out for a drink, but any more than 3 people and it is cheaper to get a taxi - that is what both Stagecoach and Arriva have to try and break down. They need the bus to become the new taxi, they need students to associate a bus with a journey home from a night out.

Now with university tuition likely increasing, and maintenance grants being taken away, student spending will decrease. Luxuries such as bus passes will become even less affordable, and cycling and walking will take more prevalence. From my own experience, students would rather spend 50 quid a year on a City Bike account, which they can use any time of day and all over the city, rather than the hundreds of pounds for a bus pass, which they will generally only use to shuttle between home, uni and ASDA during daytime hours.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/08/2016 20:02)Dentonian Wrote:  Drifting slightly off-topic - but it was raised on this thread - compulsory pre payment will not be accepted by the travelling public outside London, unless the industry drastically improves punctuality - especially outside peak commuting hours. In every other industry, you either pay for goods on receipt, or you have a guarentee of delivery....and that delivery is not as time sensitive as transport. People won't pay for a journey(s) if they are not guarenteed that the bus will turn up....or indeed the first bus will turn up in time to be virtually sure a connection will be achieved.

Off topic now but that comment is nonsense. In many European cities pre-payment is the norm. London now requires pre-payment and it is one of the most congested cities on the planet. It is universally accepted that the collection of fares (by the driver) is the second biggest factor in late running of bus services. I predict that within the next ten years, cash payment will cease to exist on all bus operations in the UK.
(26/08/2016 19:17)Dentonian Wrote:  There is a difference in "the norm" and it being compulsory. London is different because virtually every service runs at least every 20/30 minutes even on a Sunday morning, and there are also other modes integrated. That said, having to purchase and pre-load Oyster Cards is not ideal for very occasional visitors. As regards factors in "late running". Do you mean factors in buses running slowly or just running later than advertised aka, what is the biggest factor?
Also, where would you "pre-pay" for your tickets? Its one thing to buy tickets from a "tabac" in mainland Europe that is open 18 hours a day, 7 days a week. Its quite another buying one in resiential northern England, where virtually no shops open on Sunday mornings, so the few that do might take you hundreds of metres away from your direct route from home to bus stop. And this being Britain, said shopkeeper will want their "cut" from the sales of bus tickets - which one way or another will increase the cost of the journey/ticket.

Clearly, it's not a problem for pensioners in possession of a bus pass. If you are not old enough for a bus pass either a smart phone or a debit/credit card with the facility to pay by contact with a reader will do. As for the rest, here on Merseyside there are thousands of outlets where they can top-up their (pre-paid) Walrus cards. Stan Butler and Jack Harper are dead. Let's get back on topic.
Also, the Transport Act 1985 is an old iteration - the lastest is 2008, and there are several updates inbetween
Has anyone any experiences of the new night bus services? Last night was the first night's operation of the N1 and I am interested to learn if it was used by anyone.
Any news on average loadings for the 86 and N1?

I have seen a few outbound 86s throughout the week (all at different times) and they all seemed to have between half a dozen and ~20 people on board, which to me doesn't seem to bad. Anybody have a clearer picture? I really hope that the students take advantage of this service, it would be a shame for such a good pilot scheme to be wasted
(23/09/2016 11:15)Enviro400 Wrote:  Any news on average loadings for the 86 and N1?

I have seen a few outbound 86s throughout the week (all at different times) and they all seemed to have between half a dozen and ~20 people on board, which to me doesn't seem to bad. Anybody have a clearer picture? I really hope that the students take advantage of this service, it would be a shame for such a good pilot scheme to be wasted

Freshers' week begins this weekend (was it really 44 years ago for me?) and that should increase loadings. When the rest of the student body arrives next weekend, I think that many will be delighted to see a night bus service has been introduced on the 86. Also, the traditional late summer (foreign) holiday season is coming to an end and more of the local, non-student population will be using the city centre night spots again.

As for the N1, I doubt many are using it beyond Birkenhead. The 471/2 was always a better route to trial, IMO. Is it being used at all from Chester towards Liverpool?
The 86s have definitely took off so far, some have been arriving into town near full
Allowing the use of day tickets/passes charging normal fares has no doubt helped boost loadings, last time the night 86 operated it was premium cash fares only.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(23/09/2016 16:02)MTL0201 Wrote:  Allowing the use of day tickets/passes charging normal fares has no doubt helped boost loadings, last time the night 86 operated it was premium cash fares only.

Operating through Speke to LPL airport and picking up in both directions has probably helped as well.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)