Current time: 18/04/2024, 18:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Halton Transport
RE: Halton Transport
Halton 87 Omnicity has passed to Select Penkridge Stafford for further service
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Article on Liverpool Echo tonight

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...k-19019336
(30/09/2020 00:13)N271CKB Wrote:  Article on Liverpool Echo tonight

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...k-19019336

Interesting comments at the bottom of the story suggesting one of the managers had some kind of obsession with Arriva??

I think it’s quite poor really that it’s took so long to revoke the licence (before they ceased) and the fact the managers have got off and can go to over firms and potentially do the same.
Regarding the fact that one of the Managers had an obsession with Arriva I know that Halton never (as far as I know) used to accept Arriva Staff passes on their vehicles, whether this stemmed from something that happened in the past I'm not to sure.
(01/10/2020 05:43)M60lad Wrote:  Regarding the fact that one of the Managers had an obsession with Arriva I know that Halton never (as far as I know) used to accept Arriva Staff passes on their vehicles, whether this stemmed from something that happened in the past I'm not to sure.

They would accept your staff pass if you was travelling to or from work in your uniform but wouldn't accept them for leisure purposes etc.
(01/10/2020 05:43)M60lad Wrote:  I know that Halton never (as far as I know) used to accept Arriva Staff passes on their vehicles, whether this stemmed from something that happened in the past I'm not to sure.

As regards staff passes this goes back many years to North Western & MTL days when Dave Cunningham was General Manager at Halton
At the time there were meeting with the 3 companies and this was brought up by a MTL manager who at the time lived at Hough Green in Widnes and his wife worked in Liverpool and and used the Halton 14 and paid, When asked the Halton Manager at the meeting about accepting each others staff passes the reply was Halton would lose over £10 a week she was paying
When there was the QBP on the 17, Arriva passes were accepted on Halton buses and vice versa.
The above suggests that Halton might not have been so happy about the QBP?
I reckon the QBP helped both companies though, because having a consistent service every 20 minutes was certainly better for regular users of that route like I was, and if I'd had to let one company's bus go past and wait for another frequently, that would have massively increased journey times and I'd probably have used an alternative way of making journeys.
(01/10/2020 20:35)Valandil Wrote:  When there was the QBP on the 17, Arriva passes were accepted on Halton buses and vice versa.
The above suggests that Halton might not have been so happy about the QBP?
I reckon the QBP helped both companies though, because having a consistent service every 20 minutes was certainly better for regular users of that route like I was, and if I'd had to let one company's bus go past and wait for another frequently, that would have massively increased journey times and I'd probably have used an alternative way of making journeys.
It's worth saying that while it may have helped regular users get a more even service, for it to be worthwhile for the company, each operator needs to be even on each section of the route. That wasn't the case on the 17. North of Sutton Manor, you were much more likely to have an Arriva bus come along than a Halton bus (of the 12 buses every 2 hours, only 3 of those were Halton buses). Halton also didn't run very early if I remember so for buses before about half 7, you were most likely to get an Arriva bus.
(01/10/2020 22:17)iMarkeh Wrote:  It's worth saying that while it may have helped regular users get a more even service, for it to be worthwhile for the company, each operator needs to be even on each section of the route. That wasn't the case on the 17. North of Sutton Manor, you were much more likely to have an Arriva bus come along than a Halton bus (of the 12 buses every 2 hours, only 3 of those were Halton buses). Halton also didn't run very early if I remember so for buses before about half 7, you were most likely to get an Arriva bus.

I completely see what you're saying, though it's also true in the opposite way to some extent south of there, with Halton having had the 61, 61A, 26, 26A in addition to their part of the 17 operating between Widnes and the Lunts Heath area, compared with just half of the 17 run by Arriva.
Either side of the motorway, you'd have been better off buying a Halton pass if you generally travelled into Widnes (south of the motorway) or an Arriva pass if you generally travelled into St Helens (north of the motorway).
Didnt Haltons 17 follow a slightly different route round Widnes compared to the Arriva 17?

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)