Current time: 30/04/2024, 04:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Halton Transport
RE: Halton Transport
(27/01/2020 01:26)Valandil Wrote:  This is just anecdotal and only one experience, but from my own point of view I really wanted to like the X5, but had so many problems on the few occasions trying it.
Issues included drivers being clueless about the Widnes area, issuing no / the wrong ticket, services being highly delayed at peak times, terminating short and being sent back to the depot etc.
Even one bad experience can put people off - I had many, almost every time using it, and even as an enthusiast was unfortunately reluctant to use the service.

But in my opinion if they had stayed on there and improved standards, then by now they could have a monopoly in the Weates Close area and be equalling Arriva's 30-minute frequency between Coronation Drive and Widnes (Arriva's 500) and could be doing well, maybe even expanding.

If it was extended to Runcorn or even Warrington both of which isnt far away from Widnes it would probably last a fair bit longer, A little extra stretch would have made some difference on passengers numbers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/01/2020 01:26)Valandil Wrote:  This is just anecdotal and only one experience, but from my own point of view I really wanted to like the X5, but had so many problems on the few occasions trying it.
Issues included drivers being clueless about the Widnes area, issuing no / the wrong ticket, services being highly delayed at peak times, terminating short and being sent back to the depot etc.
Even one bad experience can put people off - I had many, almost every time using it, and even as an enthusiast was unfortunately reluctant to use the service.

But in my opinion if they had stayed on there and improved standards, then by now they could have a monopoly in the Weates Close area and be equalling Arriva's 30-minute frequency between Coronation Drive and Widnes (Arriva's 500) and could be doing well, maybe even expanding.

I do not live in Widnes, so did not need to use X5 regularly, but I made perhaps 10 to 20 trips on it, and observed it more frequently - albeit outside peak hours - and I can repeat - at those off-peak times, there were never many passengers on board, either at the Widnes or the at the Liverpool end - and nowhere enough to support a commercial bus service. .
(27/01/2020 15:53)Bevan Price Wrote:  I do not live in Widnes, so did not need to use X5 regularly, but I made perhaps 10 to 20 trips on it, and observed it more frequently - albeit outside peak hours - and I can repeat - at those off-peak times, there were never many passengers on board, either at the Widnes or the at the Liverpool end - and nowhere enough to support a commercial bus service. .

Indeed, i don't live in Widnes either but i caught the X5 a few times end to end mostly off peak, only ever seemed to be 5 passengers on board, a solo wouldn't have been out of place had one of them been allocated instead, buses serving Green Oaks tends to be local passengers most of the time, rather than those going end to end.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Ultimately people from Widnes will need to go to Liverpool for work and leisure but not many people would head the other way to Widnes, a small town with mostly industrial or retail jobs and in regards to shopping, the largest store by footage is either the 3x Supermarkets or Tj Hughes and the market. It’s not exactly going to attract the younger to mid-life generations or students of Liverpool is it?

That is pretty much the same problem the X1 is facing. In the morning people head to Liverpool and on the evening they go back again. Little to no passengers head the other way peak and off-peak as there’s not much to bring people to Runcorn anymore. Halton Lea is a shadow of its former self.
Out of interest have any of this fleet been sold off yet, or is everything still in store in the depot and yard off Moor Lane still? Over recent years all the fleet that had been purchased had been secondhand rather than new and gradually the acquisitions were getting old so obviously this were getting tighter, indeed it was nearly ten years since Halton last bought new buses, 13-16 DK60 AHL/N/P/O plate Enviro Enviro200 integrals.
The Enviro's and possibly the Scania's might get sold on but reckon it's game over for the rest of Halton's fleet.

Not going to go on about the right's and wrong's of Halton's collapse as it's been well discussed here. What is interesting and perhaps concerning is how quickly they did collapse and cease trading and if that can happen to Halton it can certainly happen to the remaining independent operators even if they have steady contracts rather than commercial services too.

Arriva have also won big on the Picton Road corridor too have the 79's been busier this week by any chance?
(30/01/2020 11:53)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  The Enviro's and possibly the Scania's might get sold on but reckon it's game over for the rest of Halton's fleet.

Not going to go on about the right's and wrong's of Halton's collapse as it's been well discussed here. What is interesting and perhaps concerning is how quickly they did collapse and cease trading and if that can happen to Halton it can certainly happen to the remaining independent operators even if they have steady contracts rather than commercial services too.

Arriva have also won big on the Picton Road corridor too have the 79's been busier this week by any chance?
From people I have spoken to, there has not really been any increase in the passengers as a result, in fact, people are mentioning buses being quieter.

I think the uncertainty has got to some people but also I think those who used Halton because they didn't like Arriva have simply found another way to get around.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...e-17653159

Arriva's replacement 61 to run to Liverpool again from 3rd February

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Should have been the case since day one, The 61 is a vital route that serves places no other route does

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Are they still going to use the number 61? - it looks like it on Arriva North West Timetables. Could bring some confusion with two Arriva routes using the same number overlapping in Wavertree area!

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)