Current time: 17/06/2024, 16:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
(24/08/2015 18:19)childwallblues Wrote:  It has been announced that the 17 x Class 323 are to leave Northern by 2019 and transfer to London Midland. The 323 is used from Piccadilly to Hadfield, Crewe and Stoke. Their replacements have not yet been announced but it could well be further 319s.

A really poor move in my opinion. I personally would like to see new trains to replace them as the only EMUs that have the same performance (in particular fast acceleration) as the 323s are all with other operators and are unlikely to be made available to Northern any time soon. It will be interesting to see what turns up to replace them when they leave the North

(24/08/2015 18:51)St Helens Rider Wrote:  So Northern loses their newest electric stock. The only plus point if 319's are to be the replacement is the extra carriage in each set.

Northern's newest stock is the Class 333 fleet which was new in 2000
Find all posts by this user
The 323s being moved to LM makes logical sense as then the entire fleet is consolidated with one operator.

The problem with any replacements is that they won't match the acceleration of the 323...without a timetable recast. the 319s would need to be cut down to 3 car sets to keep the timings.
(24/08/2015 19:33)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  Northern's newest stock is the Class 333 fleet which was new in 2000

I'd forgot about the 333's. The 323's are definitely the newest Northern EMU's this side of the Pennines.
(24/08/2015 20:49)mbonwick Wrote:  The 323s being moved to LM makes logical sense as then the entire fleet is consolidated with one operator.

The problem with any replacements is that they won't match the acceleration of the 323...without a timetable recast. the 319s would need to be cut down to 3 car sets to keep the timings.

That would require some fairly major work. Underneath the ATS are things like the compressor and main reservoir, plus the motor alternator and the auxiliary batteries, along with a myriad of other things which would all need to be moved for the unit to work. Plus of course it is the vehicle with the toilets in. The other option is a new traction package, which would improve the units acceleration.

SD.
I can see the logical reasoning for the 323's going to London Midland and the 319's to Northern Franchise successor .

It puts a large batch of the 319's under the Northern Franchise owners ownership then , allowing economies of scale when getting parts for them , some timetables will have to be recast for the acceleration of the 319's over the 323's. I can not see them being shortened down unless there is some platform length problems east of Manchester.
If Northern get an extra 17 x 319s this would make sense numbers wise. From what I have read LM are to get 7 and it is reported that SET want 20. Alex Hynes, Northern MD has said that the require another 20 when NW electrification is complete.
Northern Trains 40
SET 20
LM 7
323 replacement 17
This gives a total of 84. There are 86 x 319 but given that there are some diesel worked diagrams on the 323 network the extra two units would be required.

Perfect fit!

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
319383 is now in traffic with Northern. Noted yesterday on Airport trains.

SD.
A few years ago it was touted that all 323s would go to London Midland but Northern would get new trains.

I hope that enough 319s come to Northern to avoid diesel Manchester - Hazel Grove shuttles. Mind you, with the Manchester - Bolton - Preston line being electrified such workings could then cease anyway.

As I am going to Liverpool today I hope to ride a 319!
319s to Warrington

http://nw-sparks.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/...ngton.html

Credit: North West Sparks News Blog.
For today only I believe, as the Lime St to Manchester Airports weren't running today because of the engineering work at Deansgate. 319365 and 319380 were both noted working Bank Quay trains.

SD.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)