Current time: 11/06/2024, 22:16 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[Archive] Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
(12/09/2013 15:34)N271CKB Wrote:  There was someone from arriva in Cook Street this afternoon doing a survey on the congestion that often occurs there due to the lack of space. I've noticed since Stagecoach changed the 19 service, these are often seen laying over there too.

The congestion in Cook Street isnt helped because of the way the bus stops are angled in the road meaning if more than one bus is stopped at any particular bus stop nothing can get passed if there is vehicles parked up on the other side of the road legally or illegally.

Many a time i have seen an Arriva vehicle who needs to stand time in Cook Street have to drive around the block to enable him to depart Cook Street at the booked time because there was no available spot to stop in.
Find all posts by this user
Mann Island should become a bus station and the new terminus for the Cross River services
(14/09/2013 00:05)M393VWX Wrote:  Mann Island should become a bus station and the new terminus for the Cross River services

Err one of the reasons there is hardly any buses using Mann Island and Liverpool One from the North is the traffic lights at the bottom of James Street are very mean at letting buses across the lights .

Also the Cross river services only need a turn round point and not a terminus point as such , but Cook street needs looking at for sure again , think its being used because the lights at the entrance to Liverpool One take too long to change .
(14/09/2013 00:05)M393VWX Wrote:  Mann Island should become a bus station and the new terminus for the Cross River services

Don't really see the need for that, no point as they just turn around through Dale Street, Castle Street area etc and that is perfectly adequate. Sending them to Mann Island would just cause more problems.
With approx 25 off-peak cross river buses per hour, other services staring from there eg, Stagecoach 19 and bus drivers using Cook Street as a quick way of missing out the bottle neck by Debenhams, surely something needs to be done. Somewhere where cross-river buses can lay over is needed so they can get onto Cook Street, pick up and head off to their destination.
I can not seen anywhere in the rectangular set of roads that the crossriver services use that would be able to cope with all the cross river services on layover , even the layover bays on crosshall street cant cope if they all wanted to use it .
I have to say that, as an outsider, I find the cross-river services' route in Liverpool quite confusing because it's mainly side streets with what seems like no proper terminus.
What makes it all the more confusing is that it's a one-way loop with half of the stops observed inbound and the other half outbound, so in the majority of cases you get on and off at different places.

If traffic lights are the only thing stopping Mann Island being used as a terminus (is that the case?) then I am sure something could be done about that, with some form of bus priority e.g. there should be no longer than 40s between a bus arriving at the lights and them turning green, with them turning back red as soon as all vehicles are through.
The junction at the bottom of Mann Island is too complicated and busier a junction for Bus prioritys to work adequately , dont forget since the City Centre Reorganisation of roads for the 2008 events a lot more traffic uses the roads at the bottom of water and James Street , coupled with traffic for the car parks at the Albert Dock , Liverpool Echo Arena and Liverpool One .
If the buses go straight down Water Street and go round the back of Mann Island they'd avoid the lights at James Street
If they get to the bottom of Water Street , traffic is now forced to do a mandatory left turn , there is no facility to go straight across there .
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)