Current time: 13/06/2024, 08:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Crosville Club
RE: Crosville Club
I only have Arriva in my area the rest are independent operators so of course id use Arriva to connect with First or Stagecoach

http://busncoachfleetlists.comli.com/ The new fleetlist site containing lots of new things

Currently the Macclesfield photographer for anything Arriva Macclesfield and Winsford, Arriva Wythenshawe, High Peaks, Aimees, Holmeswood, GHA and anything else I photograph

My blog http://maccbusspotter.blogspot.co.uk/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
In certain parts of the world we have Drive Through Off Licences , Banks and Wedding Services as well as the more normal fast food outlets.

What would you not use a drive through for ?
http://www.flickr.com/new/

Flickr are now offering everyone a free terabyte of photo storage. Anyone who recently purchased a premium membership just for the additional space must be pretty p*ssed if they weren't warned.

I'm really liking the new design too, the old one always felt terribly dated.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
Shame they have destroyed everything that made Flickr different. Ugly design, horrible load times (even on a decent machine) and to top it off about 100 pages of complaints on their forum. I can see a big change coming or they'll be losing a lot of members.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
I've certainly no problems with load times here via desktop or mobile, thankfully. As for the design, I much prefer it but hey, each to their own.

I do doubt whether changes would be major however. I mean, just look at how many complaints Facebook receive every time they modify their design and I can't recall an occasion whereby they've either reverted to an earlier design or made huge modifications as a result, people just get used to it. I know Facebook is a free service whereas Flickr isn't (for premium membership) but I'd be willing that the number of premium members is a real minority anyway. They must be well aware that increasing the amount of storage will lead to a significant reduction in premium membership renewal too so it can't be a huge source of income for them and it just backs up my assumption that the number of premium members is a minority amongst the entire user base.

I do find it a lot easier to use now too, certainly the timeline style homepage for members makes it easier to browse through and favourite recent uploads from contacts. My only gripe with the whole thing is the organisation of content below photos which just feels disjointed due to the alignment.

It's one of the worst redesigns I've seen in fourteen years of surfing the Internet. I have recently upgraded back to Pro so 'p*ssed' is probably an accurate term, but it's far deeper than that. The ridiculous 'infinite scroll' feature that they have extended from just the favourites page is dire and is nothing more than a needless computer resource hog. A spectacularly ugly front page look and the lack of description previews on photo pages don't help either. A disastrous facelift, this one, as the comments page on their forum proves.

I'm finished with Flickr now unless an option is introduced to return to the original layout. A crying shame the vastly superior Fotopic was never brought back in its original form.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
I'd actually think you'd find there are a good number of people on the website who are 'pro' users and the complaints board speaks for itself, this is much more than a few people bitching about a new redesign on facebook and then just getting on with it anyway, most of the changes on facebook were in many ways improvements. The real problem is, Flickr is not facebook, so the redesign is so misjudged. Now you just don't need captions (one of the most interesting aspects of many photos) as you can't see them on a photostream and the photo page is badly laid out. It speaks volumes that their complaints page blew up within minutes and it's still going up in pages now.

I just think the complaints of this new layout speaks volumes and what about those who had just upgraded to 'pro' (there were a fair few in that thread).

"Thanks for your money, we've ruined your website in exchange and you've basically paid for nothing."

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
(21/05/2013 15:51)CX06 EBK Wrote:  I'd actually think you'd find there are a good number of people on the website who are 'pro' users
Absolutely but, without having seen any kind of figures, I'd make a good bet that the number of pro users is quite a bit less than, active, free users.
(21/05/2013 15:51)CX06 EBK Wrote:  It speaks volumes that their complaints page blew up within minutes and it's still going up in pages now.
This is moreso what my references to Facebook were aimed at. Any sort of change is always going to attract complaints though, people generally don't like change.

What perhaps would have been a better step by Flickr would have been to introduce a temporary 'opt in' period, as per the Facebook timeline, prior to rolling out the changes to everyone. It would have allowed people to leave their comments without such a degree of outrage and the design could have been improved upon to a standard deemed acceptable by those who use the service. I don't know but the fact that this step wasn't taken either screams 'oversight' or 'we don't really care what the userbase thinks'. Like I said, I'm not getting performance issues personally but for those who are, yeah, I guess it is going to be a pain in the backside. Things like the introduction of an ability to switch to a thumbnail view including the ability to view captions may be something which comes from the user complaints but as a whole, I can't see them returning to the previous design and personally, I'm glad of that; like I said in a previous comment, the old design was horribly dated.

The design's not perfect but to me and for the way I use Flickr, it's an improvement. Again as above, my only annoyance is the alignment of a few things. Probably worth remembering that, whilst I'm not at all trying to suggest the number of people complaining is unsubstantial, it's also not likely reflective of the entire userbase. Generally people don't go all out to compliment like they do to complain and you only have to look at any large companies social media pages to remember that.
(21/05/2013 15:51)CX06 EBK Wrote:  I just think the complaints of this new layout speaks volumes and what about those who had just upgraded to 'pro' (there were a fair few in that thread).
Indeed they do but, wholly in my opinion, not to the point whereby any previous layout should be reverted to. More than anything, they indicate a consultation period should have taken place. I do agree with the fact that it's a really poor way of doing business with their pro users though, particularly given that there appears to have been no notice upon renewing the membership that if they wait a period of time, they'll actually get a whole load more storage for a whole load less. Anybody who's p*ssed about that is rightly so.

To be fair, it's hardly just pro users complaining about the change. For reference, here is the current page of the thread which is still mostly negative and is on page 109 after less than 24 hours:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/7...6/page109/

Plenty of people will leave if the layout of old isn't at least given as an option which it should well be given the largely negative reaction to it. People left Facebook for "greener" pastures such as Twitter and Facebook is hemorrhaging users at a relatively large rate.

Unlike Facebook who really only have Twitter as a serious competitor, there are plenty of photo websites that offer a service that people want, Smugmug is similar to the missed Fotopic and there are others about.

The design is very poor though from memory usage point of view. My Firefox jumps an extra 50-80k in memory when a photostream is open, I can't easily access my activity feed and now much of the simplicity of Flickr for me is lost.

All I will say is without an option of the old layout they will almost certainly lose members to the competition.

Flickr is now almost completely down with server issues. It just keeps getting worse.

I'm off to look for a suitable alternative photo sharing website and am going to request a refund to at least cover the remaining months I have left on pro. I'm not getting the service I paid for, simple as that.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)