Current time: 06/05/2024, 20:01 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: What is your favourite double decker currently on the market?
Alexander Dennis Enviro400 (Euro V)
Alexander Dennis Enviro400 MMC (Euro VI)
MCV DD103
Optare MetroDecker
Wright Gemini 3
Wright StreetDeck
[Show Results]

Current double deckers
RE: Current double deckers
(09/01/2015 21:12)Dentonian Wrote:  A couple of points: Presumably the Optare "Streetdeck" should read Metrodecker. That said, neither this nor the MCV should be included - at least not yet - as so far, they are purely London buses, so not relevant to this region.

Otherwise; in terms of looks, the E400MMC does look better in the flesh than the original Enviro, and I think the Stagecoach livery suits it very well, with (seemingly) more white. The Gemini 3 is only slightly different to the Gemini 2, which is a reasonably attractive design still. As for the Wright Streetdeck; Its probably the ugliest bus I've ever seen. It looks like something out of a futurist horror film!

As for interiors, not as easy to comment, as the existing Enviro400 and the Gemini are the only two types I have travelled on - and even then interior design is often down to the Operator's spec.
Stagecoach's standard Enviro400s are depressingly dark inside, and are limited in the number of cushioned seats (14) downstairs. Hopefully, the MMC will be brighter and more comfortable. First's Enviro400s are brighter but the e-plastic is excruciating, although the Rusholme ones are slightly better than the 2012 batch.
First's Wrights vary, but are generally better than their Enviro400s. Like Stagecoach Enviro400s, the wheel arch seats are bad, but the handrail in front of them means you are at risk of cracking your head if you sit in the next pair forward. There is also, an unbreakable rule on First Geminis; you either get a reasonably comfy seat, or you can see out. Careful placing of ticketing branding on the windows mean there are NO seats with both.

In short; bring back the GMT "Standards" of the 70s/80s. comfy seats, adequate leg room (well, the NC ones anyway) and surprisingly bright interiors, even if the laminate was black.

Metrodecker is now a domestic product as shown by the launch of the regional version at Euro Bus Expo.

Your roving North East reporter, bring you the latest news from Arriva North East, Stagcoach North East and Go North East.

My Flickr
Updated regularly
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Current double deckers - SK15 GZG - 03/01/2015, 15:43
RE: Current double deckers - H101GEV - 03/01/2015, 16:55
RE: Current double deckers - SK15 GZG - 03/01/2015, 17:34
RE: Current double deckers - Jack - 04/01/2015, 16:27
RE: Current double deckers - SK15 GZG - 09/01/2015, 21:34
RE: Current double deckers - Jack - 11/01/2015, 00:23

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)