Current time: 29/05/2024, 06:38 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Was D-Reg pointless?
RE: Was D-Reg pointless?
(01/10/2016 15:37)Dentonian Wrote:  Two wrongs.... In fact, I would say that overall bus drivers ARE better than other drivers - CERTAINLY better than so called professional drivers. Equally, a lot of this seems to be a culture thing, as when travelling on Hyde Road buses in patricular, I simply do not recognise the nonsense written about bus drivers running red lights. I am sick to the back teeth of being on a bus that pulls up to a red light, and seeing two, three and even four vehicles sail past through the same lights. I can't really comment about doing 10 mph in a 40 zone, as most of my journeys are on roads where 40 would be an impossibility, and 10 mph is good progress.
Regarding traffic light co-ordination, this is also a big bug bear of mine, but whilst TFGM are theoretically in control, I wonder if they are actually following local Councils' wishes. For example, I recently caught an 83 from Oldham to Manchester just after lunchtime on a weekday. Between Oldham and Failsworth, we hit every set of lights on red, yet as soon as we crossed from Oldham MBC into Manchester we hardly got caught at any red lights. I've also noticed on recent Leeds to Manchester coach journeys that progess from Broadway to the top of Oldham Street has been much smoother than in the past.
I also agree to some extent about bus lane cameras v bus stop blocking. On the surface, the simple point is cameras cost nothing after the initial investment, wheras Wardens are paid a wage. The problem is the deep prejudice Wardens have in carrying out their duties in terms of either deliberately avoiding areas where bus stop blocking occurs eg. They walk through the back streets from Ardwick to the posh bits of Manchester City Centre to avoid taxi drivers and G4S blocking the Undercroft stop and the V1/V2 stop at Victorias Statue; or they simply blatently walk past blocked stops without issuing a ticket - and of course the Council (Tameside, naturally) simply ignore your complaint.
There is also the question of what motivates a motorist to park on a bus stop - especially when there are legal and practical alternatives yards away and/or they pull into a 70 ft long bus lay-by and park right on the stop itself. Its not a matter of motorists hating buses - its a matter of motorists hating bus USERS (invariably non-motorists)

As for cycle lanes, cyclists etc etc - just don't get me started............

I didsagree completly. I'm not for one miniute saying all bus drivers are bad drivers but the standards are low. I'm sorry but I've held my driving licence for over 10 years infact I passed first time with only 2 minors, but that's besides the point. The fact TFGM inspectors go through the farce of pointing a speedgun at drivers as they manoeuvre through the bus station proves this in it's self.

I can give countless examples I have witnessed first hand but one that sticks in my mind is a over weight driver negotiating mottram Moore while firstly trying to unwrap a sandwhich but then proceeding to eat it with both hands! While the bus was moving.
Another is the fact when it's warm drivers seem to drive with one hand out if the window - now as a non driver Dentionan let me ask you this do you think if a driver sitting his psv test drove like this would he pass??

Not so long ago on another forum we discussed the gridlock in the city centre and I seem to remember a Sharston depot driver pointing the finger well and truley at TFGM for their very poorly coordinated traffic lights and it does seem in most town centres it's the cause of the gridlock.
Next time your in Ashton just weigh up the set of lights outside the swimming baths and the sets either side of it and just watch how out of sink they are.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Was D-Reg pointless? - skelmersey - 18/09/2016, 09:17
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - buses7675 - 19/09/2016, 13:13
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - Mayneway - 01/10/2016, 09:56
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - wirralbus - 26/09/2016, 14:40
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - wirralbus - 28/09/2016, 22:14
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - Mayneway - 01/10/2016, 10:11
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - wirralbus - 02/10/2016, 08:36
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - bus401 - 03/10/2016, 23:40
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - wirralbus - 06/10/2016, 06:07
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - wirralbus - 06/10/2016, 08:04
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - MTL0201 - 07/05/2018, 15:21
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - skelmersey - 02/06/2018, 05:36
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - MTL0201 - 02/06/2018, 13:27
RE: Was D-Reg pointless? - skelmersey - 02/06/2018, 13:48

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)