Current time: 12/06/2024, 22:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Concessionary Bus Pass reform
RE: Concessionary Bus Pass reform
(31/07/2019 12:05)L401CJF Wrote:  On the subject of bringing up the OAP pass age - I see no reason why it shouldn't be brought up in line with the standard retirement age. If the retirement age is slowly being brought up (probably about 90 by the time half of us get there!) and most people under that age are still in employment, then I see no reason why the age for pass eligibility shouldn't be raised either. The way I see it if somebody is working for a living and taking home pay, then why should the taxpayer fund free travel for them in this age where there is an empty pot of money and everything is being cut back.

When the national bus pass was introduced by a Labour government in 2008 eligibility was at the age of 60 but in most areas of England this has now been raised to state pensionable age and Merseyside is one of the few areas that still issue passes at 60.

Within London, passes are still issued at 60 and can be used on the extensive night bus network, the Tube and Overground lines 24 hours a day. I agree that it does seem iniquitous that a 60-year-old earning a huge salary in London should be eligible for a bus pass whilst a 64-year-old living in Ormskirk or Skelmersdale on a meagre income should have to pay to get to a hospital appointment.

Also, it might surprise some to learn that in Northern Ireland, the bus pass is still issued at 60 and entitles the pass holder to travel throughout the island of Ireland. As he has gone on record as having an interest in all things buses, I wonder if our new PM has has made this a red line when discussing the Brexit Backstop with the Taoiseach?

Seriously though, regional differences in eligibility - and funding - is the central issue here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Concessionary Bus Pass reform - Barney - 31/07/2019 13:32

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)