Current time: 16/04/2024, 17:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gearboxes
Thumbs Up Gearboxes
Hello, wondering if any experts can answer a few questions about bus gearboxes. Do any manufactures still use the ZF Gearbox found on single deck busses such as the DAFSB220's? Someone told me that they don't anymore Sad Violin

Another question, have Alison ever manufactured a gearbox for a double decker bus and where would you find such an example?

And finally, what is your favourite gearbox? Would be interested to know peoples opinions! Big Grin

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Gearboxes
(12/11/2013 22:38)jtd508110 Wrote:  Hello, wondering if any experts can answer a few questions about bus gearboxes. Do any manufactures still use the ZF Gearbox found on single deck busses such as the DAFSB220's? Someone told me that they don't anymore Sad Violin

Another question, have Alison ever manufactured a gearbox for a double decker bus and where would you find such an example?

And finally, what is your favourite gearbox? Would be interested to know peoples opinions! Big Grin

Cheers

Sadly the DAF SB220 is no longer manufactured, although its replacement the VDL SB200 still is, and can be specified with a ZF gearbox if the operator/dealer wanted to specify it from the manufacturer directly.

Again it's down to the person who is purchasing/ordering the vehicle as to the type of gearbox they request, and yes some deckers like the Foden NC came with an Allison gearbox, also some AEC Routemasters that were refurbished with Cummins engines have the same engine and gearbox as the Dennis Dart.

I'm quite a fan of Allison gearboxes, they give you the opportunity to hear the higher-end of the rev scale in most applications (as an enthusiast point of view), without me rambling on for hours I'd say my favourites are the Allison AT-545 & T280R and the ZF Ecomat 4HP500, 5HP500 & 6HP502C.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
A routemaster with dennis dart engine and gearbox would love to hear what one sounds like wonder if its the same as a dart? Some leyland olympians and titans had voith gearboxes in place of the usual leyland hydracylic making them sound exactly like MCW Metrobuses.
Here's one from my last trip to London, the sound isn't brilliant though! :P

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Bit of a random question, but how many gears are there in a VDL SB200 Wright Pulsar?
Generally they have 3 gears as far as I know.
Ok, thank you.
The SB200s have a couple of different set ups with their gearboxes.
The original ones Commanders 2504-2513 and 2574-2607 have 3 gears.
2620, 2621-2628 have 4. (2620 is the original Pulsar)
All Pulsars 1s and 2s have 4.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)