Current time: 02/05/2024, 19:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Southport Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Southport Depot
(06/02/2015 16:36)SLTRegular Wrote:  I Can't see the Ormskirk Road Corridor being able to support 4 buses an Hour excluding the indirect 622 so technically 5 between Orrell Post and Wigan and no one in their right mind would choose a st helens pulsar over an Enviro 400 on the 375 as evidenced by me on Sunday when i had the choice between the awful rattler 2971 i heard it from down the road rattling! and an Enviro400 and then Later Between an Enviro400 and a Pulsar1

I'm not sure your average passenger cares one jot what bus turns up as long as it gets him/her to where they need to go safely and on time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/02/2015 13:32)Pulsar2 Wrote:  Major changes are planned for the end of March in southport.

I wonder whether these include the rumoured MAX conversion of the 47? This appears less likely now that some modern Pulsars have left Merseyside following the new E40Ds entering service.
(07/02/2015 22:08)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I wonder whether these include the rumoured MAX conversion of the 47? This appears less likely now that some modern Pulsars have left Merseyside following the new E40Ds entering service.
The three leaving Southport are 3079-81 which are part of the Southport Links fleet which do not normally operate on the 47.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(07/02/2015 22:08)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I wonder whether these include the rumoured MAX conversion of the 47? This appears less likely now that some modern Pulsars have left Merseyside following the new E40Ds entering service.

The changes are route related , 42 being scrapped , 44 re-routed as the 300 as well and 375/385 around southport.
(07/02/2015 15:10)Dentonian Wrote:  I would disagree. Before the recent cuts between Reddish and Stockport, congestion often meant a 203 ('decker operated) would often follow one or more Enviro200/MAN/Solo s on the 7/317/374. If the 203 was in sight passengers would either step back and letter the single-deckers go, or flag down the 203 even though a single-decker was already boarding. Now that smoking has been outlawed for 7+ years, I'm not quite sure why this is, although I know the elderly do not like the massive gap between stanchions on Enviro200s and a Solo is still viewed as a van with windows, even if the ride quality is far better than a Transit or Dodge S50/56 was. Other than that, it might be just that "this is sub/urban Manchester, we had double decker buses (and trams) throughout the 20th century, why are we now lumbered with country buses?"

I'm also confused by the statement that Ormskirk Road "can't support 4 buses an hour". Before ADL/Plaxton and Optare/Ashok closed down the entire North West bus manufacturing industry between them, I used to visit NC at Pemberton regularly, and throughout the time (before and after de-reg), I seem to recall something like 15 buses an hour off-peak between Enfield Street and Wigan - albeit many were already single-decks, and include the frequent 609 Norley Hall circulars.

You are comparing a small single deck to a double there. People are always going to pick a double on them grounds as there is more chance of a seat!! However with regards to the doubles v singles heading in to Wigan this is not likely to be the case so people are more likely to just jump on any bus with Wigan on the destination.
2723 out on 47 today.
Two of the 'Southport Links' Pulsar2s have left Canning Road.

ArrivaNW 3079 is now ArrivaTHE SHIRES 3758 (MX61 AWM).....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125022155@...663638482/

....whilst ArrivaNW 3080 is now ArrivaTHE SHIRES 3759 (MX61 AWN)....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125022155@...638726706/
(Photo Credits; stevensaaron153)
Southport are now allocating a mix bag of Pulsars and 400's on 375 lates the last departure from Wigan is Normally a 304* Pulsar as a rough guide (may vary Fri/Sat)

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale
With the many route changes/cancellations taking place at the end of March, it is interesting to note the X2 bring diverted to cover the already redundant 47 through Banks. Could this be a small indication that Southport services are due for some competition? After all to cull the 42 after decades of it serving parts of Marshside and with the other sweeping changes Arriva have planned to manage their cost cutting, passengers are already upset with the company. The loss of further services for the Kew estate is another deep divisive subject. Their 'customer service' day next weekend had better be good, had it not? It's upto time to tell us if the changes pay off for Arriva, but de-regulation may come back to bite them.
I cant see much competing starting in the Southport area in the near future as i would not say its a mega profitable place, its other parts of Arriva North Wests Division where we are more likely to see some competing

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)