Current time: 02/05/2024, 04:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Southport Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Southport Depot
There's at least 4 pulsars on 375/385 today including two 10 plate ones which is quite unusual,not sure what will turn up in lates tonight I know I've got 2723 will post what's on later
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/06/2012 15:56)CX54 DKD Wrote:  
(27/06/2012 15:48)J654UHN Wrote:  Low floor buses are designed for wheelchairs not prams. people seem to forget about that
That's rubbish. They may well have been designed primarily to make disabled access easier but a clear and obvious by-product of that is increased ease of use for pram users. In addition to that, they're easier to access for people with walking difficulties and the elderly with their shopping trolleys etc.

All that your point comes back to is that there is a responsibility upon pram users to fold down when someone with a wheelchair boards. What I don't believe (which your posts seems to insinuate) is that they should still be expected to fold down just to board a bus in this day and age of low floor access.
(27/06/2012 15:52)V671 DVU Wrote:  Good point very well made! I think it's disgusting that wheelchairs are (very rarely, I will admit) are turned away in favour of a pram in the buggy spot. I will admit, most mothers are decent enough to fold the buggy up and sit elsewhere. But there are the select few who literally think they own the bus as such, and will not move for anyone.
I have never witnessed a wheelchair turned away in favour of a pram. Drivers insist upon the prams being folded in this case.
Great Points CX54.
4107 on 46 lates also 4101 back from p&p just saw it in garage
(27/06/2012 15:01)CX54 DKD Wrote:  
(27/06/2012 14:53)V671 DVU Wrote:  Shame, many years ago it was Get a buggy, or leave it at home and carry the kid!
"Many years ago" being the cause of the problem. Low floor vehicles have been in production for nearly 20 years and we're at the point now whereby they vastly outnumber step vehicles therefore, it's not unfair of disabled users and people with prams to expect an accessible vehicle. Especially on a late duty. If this had just been out during the day then that's a different matter but during the evening and into the night when low floor vehicles sit in depot, I don't personally think it's fair. That said, I'm not familiar with the bus swap process at Southport.

In addition to the above though, I think it's very poor that Southport have these step entrance vehicles in service at all having been previously all low floor. If they were brought in to operate a schools unit, that's where they should stay in my opinion and if they're out to cover B7s which can't cope with what they've been brought in to operate, then something needs to be done about that too.

Good points made. Southport as you say had been all low floor, but recently have used the school deckers on ordinary routes. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the school holidays. I've also noticed that where as evening & Sunday services would be allocated Pulsars, they are now allocating older Darts. For example tonight sees a Marshall operating the 44 & a Renown on the 49. Meanwhile the nice new spacious buses return to the depot. Despite the darts being low floor & wheelchair friendly, there is little room to manoeuvre inside.
(27/06/2012 19:19)skemnational Wrote:  4107 on 46 lates also 4101 back from p&p just saw it in garage

4107 on 46, what's that all about?.....
(27/06/2012 19:54)Vbg111v Wrote:  Despite the darts being low floor & wheelchair friendly, there is little room to manoeuvre inside.
Darts (Marshalls in particular) have a very narrow isle making anything other than a standard wheelchair difficult to manoeuvre as you say. Back when Skelmersdale held the 356 in St Helens, they began allocating Pulsars instead of the Marshall which had seen this late duty after a gentleman with an electric wheelchair put in a complaint about his inability to board the bus in a dignified manner - he had to be forced down the isle by his accompaniment.

It does surprise me though that they allocate the heavy fuel consuming Renowns onto lates at Southport while Pulsars actively return to depot. Here in St Helens, drivers are encouraged to book the B10s off of 89 lates in favour of a Pulsar due to fuel and it's not unheard of for a B10 to run out of fuel if left to go out onto the last 89.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
The late 375 buses are 2723/7656/2624 glad I'm not on that 7656 the bus that broke down on me in queen square on sat lol
so that was the marshall i seen, i knew i seen one but did not know if it was on the 375, 385 or 395

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(27/06/2012 21:49)skemnational Wrote:  The late 375 buses are 2723/7656/2624 glad I'm not on that 7656 the bus that broke down on me in queen square on sat lol

A Marshall all the way to Wigan! I'd hate to be a driver or passenger on that journey!.....
47/8 branded Pulsar 3037 has just been causing mayhem on Lord Street. Arriva decided to put it on the 49/A today & passengers got on the wrong bus. One said why paint a different number all over it, it's confusing. I have to say, I agree with them.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)