Current time: 19/05/2024, 06:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Runcorn Depot
I think you was always going to get that problem with low floor vehicles , where mothers think it is there god given right to wheel the buggy on to the bus , not helped by some bus companies marketing there vehicles as buggy buses .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(09/02/2013 21:36)wirralbus Wrote:  I think you was always going to get that problem with low floor vehicles , where mothers think it is there god given right to wheel the buggy on to the bus , not helped by some bus companies marketing there vehicles as buggy buses .

Here is the official defininition:

A low-floor bus is a bus that has no steps between one or more entrances and part or all of the passenger cabin. Being low floor improves the accessibility of the bus for the public, particularly the elderly or infirm, or those with push chairs

No specific mention of wheelchairs (manual or electric), but does mention push chairs!
Furthermore, if a bus company advertises its buses as 'buggy buses', then they're intended for carrying buggies, pushchairs, prams - whatever you want to call them. Low floors are for prams as well as wheelchairs, in order to make bus travel appealing to as many people as possible.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
Not sure if this is true bit I've also heard that a wheelchair user has got preference over a buggy and if the bus hasn't got space for the wheelchair user then the driver has to make space by asking the owner of buggy to fold it up if possible
I have a 12 week old baby and folding the pram up getting on the bus is not really a big issue if I had to do it when using a bus if a wheelchair user needed the space. There are some drivers that will only allow one pram on even if there is space for two and that happened to my wife the other week when getting an arriva 10B. Thing we have to remember is that the person with the pram is normally able bodied, the wheelchair user is not.
Us as drivers are tied down by the law,once you have a pram in the bay and wheelchair user comes along and wants to get on all we can do is ask politely can they put the pram down for the wheelchair to get on and if they refuse we cant let the wheelchair on as we cant force them to put the pram down which i know its unfair but our hands are tied.
(10/02/2013 08:42)motormayhem Wrote:  Us as drivers are tied down by the law,once you have a pram in the bay and wheelchair user comes along and wants to get on all we can do is ask politely can they put the pram down for the wheelchair to get on and if they refuse we cant let the wheelchair on as we cant force them to put the pram down which i know its unfair but our hands are tied.

Thanks Motormayhem for advising us .
(10/02/2013 13:56)wirralbus Wrote:  
(10/02/2013 08:42)motormayhem Wrote:  Us as drivers are tied down by the law,once you have a pram in the bay and wheelchair user comes along and wants to get on all we can do is ask politely can they put the pram down for the wheelchair to get on and if they refuse we cant let the wheelchair on as we cant force them to put the pram down which i know its unfair but our hands are tied.

Thanks Motormayhem for advising us .

Normally you would have room for one pram and a wheelchar on majority of the newer buses as they tend to have 2 bays and thats why most drivers will only let one pram on as company policy states ur only aloud one pram on the veichle thats not folded down due to insurance purposes just like paint or flamable liquids are not to be carried due to insurance purposes,as im sure on our buses (arriva) have stickers on claiming only one pram may travel on the bus with the rest folded down.
Probably depends on the driver, on Friday when I got an Arriva 10A, the driver let us on a somebody else with a pram a well, Thanks for the advising of what should happen for people with prams MM.
my mother is a wheelchair user & any bus that has 3-4 tip up seats with the space (or at least,the room of 3-4 tip up seats) you can fit a wheelchair & 1 single buggy easy & 2 one can use the space on the other side (if its them with tip ups at both sides,normally if its normal seats at the other side you can fit 1 buggy).i know this is going off topic but my local route is normally a wright Commander with tip up at both sides & theres been times 2 wheelchairs & 2 buggys have fitted on easy.Yes the mothers have to stand but thats just bad luck to them

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)