Current time: 01/05/2024, 06:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
I have thought of that, but Arriva seem to be investing in their Manchester operations so it looks highly unlikely.

If Arriva sold Wythenshawe then their only operation in Manchester would be Bolton, and First wouldn't be able to buy that, but I bet Stagecoach would.

Back to the real world, are the Streetlamps off to Queens Rd once the Enviro's appear at Rusholme?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/05/2014 21:22)Polo Mint Wrote:  I have thought of that, but Arriva seem to be investing in their Manchester operations so it looks highly unlikely.

If Arriva sold Wythenshawe then their only operation in Manchester would be Bolton, and First wouldn't be able to buy that, but I bet Stagecoach would.

Back to the real world, are the Streetlamps off to Queens Rd once the Enviro's appear at Rusholme?

Un certain, what we know is they were originally for Queens Road before first bought Rusholme, since then they have also and remain heavily linked with the replacement of Bury Depot's problematic citaro fleet. Fellow posters will say the B6s are older yes all true and in reality it looks like QS will win favour, but in the case of Bury Depot, you have an old fleet, with frequent reliability issues, the other depots cannot say that. Bury Depot may be the garage in least favour, but services still need to run, and buses need to operate and be reliable, and thats an issue with the citaros at the moment .
(01/05/2014 21:12)37554BY Wrote:  Interesting point, given the huge investment First have placed into south manchester they are serious about keeping a firm grip in the area, and the idea of one day maybe buying Arriva out in wythenshawe would work.

Don't forget though that about 3/4 years ago it was heavily rumoured that Arriva had made a sizeable offer to buy out JPT in the days when they were a half decent company. Now the offer was quickly refused and JPT went on to announce the investment in more new vehicles, competition on more services and a new second depot, this suggests Arriva are or certainly were keen to get thier foot in the door in a new area of Manchester so very much doubt they would sell to First.
I do often wonder why Arriva haven't pushed to gain a bigger foot on the south Manchester ladder though.
Ye Arriva do seem to be an odd one. I am surprised they didn't want to buy First Wigan, but maybe it would have got refused as they have a few routes there.

They don't seem to have tried to expand in South Manchester, or in the Bolton area either and have reduced services in Salford. They also didn't try to create a cross city route like First and Stagecoach.

I didn't realise the Citaros were so unreliable to be honest.
I heard arriva bid for first in wigan but stagecoach piped them to it by offering more as what stagecoach want stagecoach will get.
(02/05/2014 07:00)motormayhem1 Wrote:  I heard arriva bid for first in wigan but stagecoach piped them to it by offering more as what stagecoach want stagecoach will get.

Who's to say Arriva didn't go for Finglands either, that would certainly have been interesting.
One thing that the two recent purchases by the big buses groups has done in Manchester is that it moves Stagecoach and First into areas previously they had not really served in Manchester before .
40361 sighted heading towards Droylsden on the 408 today:
a) wasn't this a Pioneer bus
b) wasn't it withdrawn over a year ago
c) nearly gave me a heart attack
(02/05/2014 15:09)joe_alker Wrote:  40361 sighted heading towards Droylsden on the 408 today:
a) wasn't this a Pioneer bus
b) wasn't it withdrawn over a year ago
c) nearly gave me a heart attack

it was a pr bus but transferred to om when the b9s came then operated on 415 til early this year then was put out to reserve but
as somebody else said to
40406 was on 81`s
and 40403 i saw on 38/333`s replacing the demicd 31929

so today there was 3 r---sba darts out in service
(30/04/2014 11:12)YSV-205 Wrote:  Thanks 37554BY
Interesting to see the Manchester City Transport liveried Gemini operating on route 41 today.

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)