Current time: 29/04/2024, 11:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
What would do if you was put in the decision chair 507009 refurbish and revamped or brand new ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Latest unit in the new livery is 507006, in service on the Southport line with 508127 on Sunday. 508112 is back in service, not re-liveried and looking as bad as ever.

507013, 507023 and 508122 were all graffitied during overnight stabling at Birkenhead North on Saturday night, both 507s hit severely. A couple of other units I've noticed recently with tags are 508130 and 508137. This has been one of the worst summers for graffiti attacks I can remember.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(03/09/2014 14:12)wirralbus Wrote:  What would do if you was put in the decision chair 507009 refurbish and revamped or brand new ?

So how about 2 train fleets?

Buy a new fleet sufficient to meet the all day off peak requirement (with a few spares) and this fleet is in service from first train to last train every day of the week.

Heavy refurbish, to give another 12 years life, a lot of the existing fleet as a secondary fleet which is run at peak hours, 'event times' (Southport Flower Show, Open Golf, summer saturdays) and so has a very much reduced annual mileage. The secondary fleet would only be allowed in service as 6 car trains which would provide a degree of resilience in the event of a failure in one unit as there is already a second unit attached to move the defective unit out of the way. Such a secondary fleet may well be only financially viable if, because as the stock is old and perhaps has assumed a very low book value so the lease cost could be very low or be bought out from the leasing company at very low cost. But I guess the leasing company would not want that to happen. If a refurbishment is done well, then a lot of passengers are not aware of the age of the units
(12/09/2014 18:02)bramptontrev Wrote:  So how about 2 train fleets?

Buy a new fleet sufficient to meet the all day off peak requirement (with a few spares) and this fleet is in service from first train to last train every day of the week.

Heavy refurbish, to give another 12 years life, a lot of the existing fleet as a secondary fleet which is run at peak hours, 'event times' (Southport Flower Show, Open Golf, summer saturdays) and so has a very much reduced annual mileage. The secondary fleet would only be allowed in service as 6 car trains which would provide a degree of resilience in the event of a failure in one unit as there is already a second unit attached to move the defective unit out of the way. Such a secondary fleet may well be only financially viable if, because as the stock is old and perhaps has assumed a very low book value so the lease cost could be very low or be bought out from the leasing company at very low cost. But I guess the leasing company would not want that to happen. If a refurbishment is done well, then a lot of passengers are not aware of the age of the units

That sounds a good idea and would give the existing leaser the chance to make some money on old assets , which they wouldnt get if they went for an all new fleet .

I just wonder how long before Merseytravel and Merseyrail make a decision.
That actually really does make a lot of sense.
There was more disruption on the Southport line with an incident between Blundellsands & Crosby and Waterloo yesterday September 12th
(13/09/2014 11:51)wirralbus Wrote:  There was more disruption on the Southport line with an incident between Blundellsands & Crosby and Waterloo yesterday September 12th

Another fatality near a level crossing, I'm sad to say. That is the third on that stretch of the line in a month. That must be a very unenviable record for any part of the rail network in the UK.
(13/09/2014 14:49)Barney Wrote:  Another fatality near a level crossing, I'm sad to say. That is the third on that stretch of the line in a month. That must be a very unenviable record for any part of the rail network in the UK.
it happen at a crossing that is fully barried so the person has likely to have jumped the barrier i've seen it quite a few times over the years
(14/09/2014 16:20)Harryn9000 Wrote:  it happen at a crossing that is fully barried so the person has likely to have jumped the barrier i've seen it quite a few times over the years

Lets please not speculate what has happened here , there will be an inquest , its very traumatic to be involved in a fatality for all concerned.
507003 is the latest being revinylled

User(s) browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)