Current time: 08/05/2024, 07:44 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
Unfortunately Merseyrail in the wars.

This has been copied off there website

The MET office have issued a yellow weather warning for ice affecting the Liverpool City Region overnight. This may cause disruption to early morning train services on the Merseyrail network. We are working hard with Network Rail to treat the third rail, which powers our trains with anti-ice to help stop ice forming on it and disrupting services. Unfortunately however the forecast combination of low temperatures, rain and sleet may still cause significant disruption. We strongly advise all customers travelling on the morning of Monday 25th January to check our twitter feed @Merseyrail or our website for up to date travel information, before travelling to a station.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/01/2021 20:12)wirralbus Wrote:  Unfortunately Merseyrail in the wars.

This has been copied off there website

The MET office have issued a yellow weather warning for ice affecting the Liverpool City Region overnight. This may cause disruption to early morning train services on the Merseyrail network. We are working hard with Network Rail to treat the third rail, which powers our trains with anti-ice to help stop ice forming on it and disrupting services. Unfortunately however the forecast combination of low temperatures, rain and sleet may still cause significant disruption. We strongly advise all customers travelling on the morning of Monday 25th January to check our twitter feed @Merseyrail or our website for up to date travel information, before travelling to a station.

Why are Merseyrail suffering badly from ice related issues this winter?
Yes, I know its a third rail network which don't generally cope with ice well but they seem to have an approach of cancelling all trains across the network and running empty trains as route proving trains until the conditions improve-not seen this approach taken before (at least in recent years anyway).

Is it a network rail related issue?
(26/01/2021 01:53)508134 Wrote:  Why are Merseyrail suffering badly from ice related issues this winter?
Yes, I know its a third rail network which don't generally cope with ice well but they seem to have an approach of cancelling all trains across the network and running empty trains as route proving trains until the conditions improve-not seen this approach taken before (at least in recent years anyway).

Do not forget there is also 2 less trains in the fleet as tweo have been sent off for scrap and other units are nearing there mileage limits because of the impending new trains coming , so they are trying to protect there fleet as best as possible i think .

Dont forget a 6 car set suffered severe arcing yesterday in the Cressington areas even after the service was restored which further resulted in the line being suspending again.
The problem on Monday was also exacerbated by the closure of the line on Sunday between Liverpool Central and Hunts Cross due to engineering work, which meant the MPV was unable to run to Hunts Cross to de-ice
No booked 777 movements from Europe till Easter, but there could be movements between Kirkdale and Walton Old Jn (Warrington) to rotate the units for testing before then
(27/01/2021 19:18)507022 Wrote:  No booked 777 movements from Europe till Easter, but there could be movements between Kirkdale and Walton Old Jn (Warrington) to rotate the units for testing before then

Do you know how many have been manufactured in total currently?
I know they are being stored abroad now as well.
777011 /13/15/17 should be the Polish ones in store, but I’ve no info if assembly of these is complete or not. Also afaik 777002 has not arrived either after the Wildenrath testing. I know COVID has affected the manufacture as well
(26/01/2021 01:53)508134 Wrote:  Why are Merseyrail suffering badly from ice related issues this winter?

I may be wrong but I be.lieve either the original Southport or Wirral units entered service in 1938. Ice was never problem for 80 years until very recently.
As well as preparing locals for the possibility of a worse response to bad weather by the new units its probably generally risk-adversity and reaction to this
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...wisham.pdf
(01/02/2021 14:52)mikestone Wrote:  As well as preparing locals for the possibility of a worse response to bad weather by the new units its probably generally risk-adversity and reaction to this
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...wisham.pdf

I had actually forgotten about that Lewisham incident , last thing you want is a self evacuation if a train happens to start struggling in freezing rain , sleet , snow or ice conditions.

User(s) browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)