Current time: 08/05/2024, 18:18 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(14/12/2020 07:13)wirralbus Wrote:  These closures are not in merseyrail's gift to dish out , Network Rail resources will dictate when they closures do occur , dont forget for some work there is actually a shortage of qualified staff , on top of any coronavirus social distancing and self isolation.
I thought the majority of the Merseyrail network was owned by them/Merseytravel and Network Rail are kind of contracted to do the work.

Regardless of who owns what, Merseyrail still have to work with NR to ensure passengers are kept moving and so if NR are planning so many blocks, that isn't very good for passengers. They wouldn't do blocks in this way in other very busy areas so I don't see why they are doing it on Merseyrail.

As for your last point, is there a shortage of NR staff? I've not heard that for a while. Covid I get but would it not be better for NR to delay another project by a week to flood the Merseyrail network and get as much done as possible in the block and then the next week, you have more staff available (If you have 10 staff, it's surely better to send them all to one site and get the work done quickly (and then the next week do the same) rather than have less staff on each site and then you need more closures for the work to be completes)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(14/12/2020 08:40)iMarkeh Wrote:  I thought the majority of the Merseyrail network was owned by them/Merseytravel and Network Rail are kind of contracted to do the work.

Regardless of who owns what, Merseyrail still have to work with NR to ensure passengers are kept moving and so if NR are planning so many blocks, that isn't very good for passengers. They wouldn't do blocks in this way in other very busy areas so I don't see why they are doing it on Merseyrail.

As for your last point, is there a shortage of NR staff? I've not heard that for a while. Covid I get but would it not be better for NR to delay another project by a week to flood the Merseyrail network and get as much done as possible in the block and then the next week, you have more staff available (If you have 10 staff, it's surely better to send them all to one site and get the work done quickly (and then the next week do the same) rather than have less staff on each site and then you need more closures for the work to be completes)

As has been said Network Rail own and maintain the Merseyrail network just as they do the rest of the country. When they decide work has to be done it has to be done.
In regards to when the work is done other areas of the country that are just as busy if not busier than Merseyrail frequently have weekend engineering work, Transpennine being a very good example.
Network Rail own the track and signalling systems, and they submit requests for possessions to the TOCs. The TOCs can reject these proposals or ask for another date, but a few are last minute requests and if not done, a temporary speed restriction could be imposed until the work is completed so it’s a lose-lose situation. Some jobs are done over 54 hour possessions, or the really big jobs over several days or even weeks to minimise passenger disruption
Update to my post #3155 last week regarding 777 movements tomorrow.
777001/016/018 are the 3 sets coming.
777001 is being dropped off at Crewe for storage, that leaves 777001/003/008/009 there.
Only 4 can be stored at Crewe so that’s the limit.
777016/018 (St Margrethen ones) are going through to Kirkdale.
Kirkdale is also up to capacity so 2 other sets will move out on Thursday morning for storage (possibly to Arpley Sidings) but don’t know which two yet
They are on their way North. This path is as far as Crewe... https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R...6/detailed
Later today the second part to Kirkdale is scheduled to be this one.... https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R...6/detailed
(16/12/2020 04:45)B10B6514 Wrote:  They are on their way North. This path is as far as Crewe... https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/R...6/detailed
Oddly this does not show up on location searches.
66741 and 66784 will bring the train to Kirkdale later today
The two sets from Kirkdale were moved to Warrington Walton Old Junction Sidings this morning for storage
(16/12/2020 08:08)mikestone Wrote:  Oddly this does not show up on location searches.

If you select your location and then detailed search at the bottom of the screen, then put the train ID at the top, all trains should appear with that ID. Just select the one you need

User(s) browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)