Current time: 27/04/2024, 16:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(25/05/2018 23:24)iMarkeh Wrote:  I'm was told there is now a law or rule saying 3rd rail can not be places. Existing tracks are fine but nothing else can be placed for safety reasons. I would assume that evacuations have something to do with this. In an emergency, you can have the 3rd rail causing issues especially when there is no guard and people start opening doors and jumping out of the train as seen in RMTs latest video.

AC can be placed though as it is harder for people to get to and doesn't need to be turned off when there are evacuations etc.

I suppose it also makes sense from a trespassers/platform fallers point of view. If you walk or fall on the tracks, you can jump off quickly if a train comes (if you are stupid enough to walk on the tracks in the first place). This causes delays but generally with trespassers, trains pass at reduced speeds. DC however, you walk on the tracks with 3rd rail, you highly risk being electrocuted so a train is more likely to hit you which then blocks lines for hours while the situation gets sorted.
When you think of it this way, it kind of reduces possibility of delays by not having 3rd rail.

I think its been a policy not a rule to increase any further 3rd Rail electricification , think there would have to be a clear justification though for any extension.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Had 507023 on the first train to Ormskirk this morning and its destination boards were already programmed for the new Maghull North station even though no trains will call there for over another week yet. Have any other units been programmed?
Picked up both conventional and station by station North timetables. The latter says the timetable is revised from 2 June to accomodate Maghull North calls, but only by turning to the station page do you find the actual opening date.
Not seen any 6 car units on the Ormskirk line since the times were changed. Are all the 6 car units being concentrated on the Liverpool South Parkway-Southport line due to Lime St being closed? I normally get the first train to Ormskirk and it was always a 6 car but since it was retimed on 2nd June its been 3 cars. Thanks.
Merseyrail tweeted this just:

All of our Southport Line services are formed of 6 coaches.

The 0749, 0804 Ormskirk to Liverpool & the 0740, 0755 Chester to Liverpool will also be formed of 6 coaches this morning.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/06/2018 06:39)MX12CFE Wrote:  Not seen any 6 car units on the Ormskirk line since the times were changed. Are all the 6 car units being concentrated on the Liverpool South Parkway-Southport line due to Lime St being closed? I normally get the first train to Ormskirk and it was always a 6 car but since it was retimed on 2nd June its been 3 cars. Thanks.

There's still peak time 6 car services. However with the diagrams being different as a result of the extra unit this means the early morning services that were formally 6 car services won't necessarily be now. The first couple of Ormskirk/ Kirkby services used to interwork in the old timetable, this no longer happens.
In addition units have also been moved for the Lime St works, the West Kirby line for example will be solid 3 cars until August.
Now I know where a lot of units from wirral line are disappearing to.

Maybe merseyrail should ask for some class 313s from down south to add to the number of available units for peak times to run trains with extra coaches like they used to when we had a full fleet of over 70 units during the blue/grey years.

I read somewhere once that the 313s can work coupled to a 508 in 3rd rail power so grabbing some of those would in my opinion be very handy.
(12/06/2018 21:39)508143 Wrote:  Now I know where a lot of units from wirral line are disappearing to.

Maybe merseyrail should ask for some class 313s from down south to add to the number of available units for peak times to run trains with extra coaches like they used to when we had a full fleet of over 70 units during the blue/grey years.

I read somewhere once that the 313s can work coupled to a 508 in 3rd rail power so grabbing some of those would in my opinion be very handy.
New trains to replace the 313s have not yet started to be delivered.
Merseyrail could have taken the 508s that operated in the south east a few years ago. Indeed 508301 and 508303 made itas far as Arpley Yard. But no agreement could be made with the ROSCO so 15 X 3 car units were scrapped at Eastleigh except for a few odd coaches.
Before the 507s were introduced two 313s came to Kirkdale Depot for tests on the Kirkby Lane. I saw 313003 on Kirkdale Depot when passing.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Maghull North opened today and 508137 had the honour of being the first unit to call, forming the 0558 to Liverpool Central.
Maghull North is now the edge of Zone C3 and zone F , Maghull is now fully only in Zone C3 for trios , saveaways and day savers .

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)