Current time: 03/05/2024, 00:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Halton Transport
RE: Halton Transport
(05/08/2018 18:20)Mayneway Wrote:  Not the first time you have made that comment. Just like your employer they are owned by the council and have to justify their existence - if they were not making money and were costing the tax payer any money at all they would have been sold off along time ago.

The Merserytravel contracts must be keeping them afloat. I am aware these contracts pay pretty well...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06/08/2018 07:27)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  The Merserytravel contracts must be keeping them afloat. I am aware these contracts pay pretty well...

Given that Merseytravel contracts make up fewer than 10% of the journeys (*) operated by Halton Transport, they'd have to pay extremely well to cross-subsidise the entire remainder of the network!

I don't know why you're so determined to believe that Halton's commercial routes are unremunerative, but your observations of them must be somewhat limited to lead you to the conclusion that "almost empty" is the norm. It isn't.

(*) On a weekday, I make it approximately 52 Merseytravel-subsidised journeys (45 of which are schools), versus 464 total journeys on the core commercial network. I counted them visually so cannot promise that's perfectly accurate, but it should be reasonably close.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
People for whatever reason feel I have it in for Halton....I don’t. However, it’s pretty apparent that passenger numbers on their services are low. The 62 leaving Warrington only ever has a handful on at any given time. The services around Widnes look very very quiet and Arriva seem to be the dominant operator. The 27 never has more than 6-7 people on it, I know as it goes past my house. I speak to Halton drivers and they say they don’t know how the company continues in its current form as they don’t take many passengers.

Obviously it must be making ends meet otherwise it would have folded years ago but the signs don’t look all that great. Let’s hope they can get more bums on seats and turn it around.
(06/08/2018 22:10)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  People for whatever reason feel I have it in for Halton....I don’t. However, it’s pretty apparent that passenger numbers on their services are low. The 62 leaving Warrington only ever has a handful on at any given time. The services around Widnes look very very quiet and Arriva seem to be the dominant operator. The 27 never has more than 6-7 people on it, I know as it goes past my house. I speak to Halton drivers and they say they don’t know how the company continues in its current form as they don’t take many passengers.

Obviously it must be making ends meet otherwise it would have folded years ago but the signs don’t look all that great. Let’s hope they can get more bums on seats and turn it around.

Because you have made the same comment 3 times now in the last few months about how they are just about hanging on because you see a very small percentage of their journeys which in your opinion are carrying fresh air. Remember..... a commercially registered service must pay for its self and must turn a profit. Like I've said accountants and auditors will be checking data and figures often, if it was a case that they were in any way struggling as you perceive then the company would be very quickly sold off.
(06/08/2018 07:27)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  The Merserytravel contracts must be keeping them afloat. I am aware these contracts pay pretty well...

Your not aware your presuming they pay well. Again as it's already been mentioned, the Merseytravel contracts make up a very small proportion of Haltons total Work so your theory that this work keeps the entire company afloat are probably rubbish...... unless you have the accounts in front of you???
(06/08/2018 22:10)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  The 27 never has more than 6-7 people on it, I know as it goes past my house.
This service is tendered therefore it doesn't matter how many people it takes.
It always makes me chuckle the amount of so called ‘know it alls’ on this forum that don’t even work in the industry yet feel they are qualified to have an opinion on everything. It is pretty evident that the majority have little idea on how the industry actually works yet feel they are able to give an opinion on everything. Still....
(07/08/2018 07:36)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  It always makes me chuckle the amount of so called ‘know it alls’ on this forum that don’t even work in the industry yet feel they are qualified to have an opinion on everything. It is pretty evident that the majority have little idea on how the industry actually works yet feel they are able to give an opinion on everything. Still....

To be fair you dont need to work in the Bus Industry to understand that every Company needs to make a profit to continue trading, Its common sense really.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(07/08/2018 07:36)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  It always makes me chuckle the amount of so called ‘know it alls’ on this forum that don’t even work in the industry yet feel they are qualified to have an opinion on everything. It is pretty evident that the majority have little idea on how the industry actually works yet feel they are able to give an opinion on everything. Still....

And there you go again presuming every member of this group is a 'know it all' spotter rather than someone that works and understands how the industry works.
You see a few Halton services running light and assume they are going under. Do you have some kind of axe to grind where Halton are concerned??
Please don't let this get into an argument about who knows what about what please otherwise I'll have to lock the topic and/or start deleting posts.

Thank You

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)